PDA

View Full Version : Which artists do YOU know?

Algernon
10-31-2013, 08:30 PM
The idea behind this thread was conceived while driving to work this morning when I saw a commercial vehicle driving past sharing the name of what I believe to be a very famous artist (although the company the vehicle was advertising has nothing to do with the visual arts). The name of the artist is not important for this survey but it did get me me thinking: who are the most well known artists to the average person out there...

Please list artists that you are familiar with according to the list below irrespective of their works and during what era they operated in:

Italian artists
Dutch artists
French artists
German artists
Other

If you have any experience in the visual arts please state it.

The idea here is to be as honest as possible; its not about who knows more than the next person - this is not a pissing contest its just an honest to goodness inquiry into something that really interests me.

larali
10-31-2013, 08:38 PM
I took a bunch of art history classes in college so I can think of too many to list. The ones that come to mind that I consider to be the most well-known:

Vincent Van Gogh
Pablo Picasso
Leonardo DaVinci
Boticelli
Michelangelo
Rubens
Titian
Van Rijn
Manet
Degas
Monet
Renoir
Much
Rousseau
Kandinsky
O'Keefe
Rockwell
Escher
Dali
Kahlo
Pollock
Warhol.

And yeah I looked at a list to jog my memory but I am familiar with all of them.

If you have any experience in the visual arts please state it.

I took graphic design in college

Algernon
10-31-2013, 08:50 PM
Cool, thanks for your honesty. Like you, I've taken the odd class or two so I am quite familiar with those that you've mentioned. Once again, thanks.

Imran520
11-02-2013, 07:57 AM
I know French Artist. These are most hard worker.

Ianus
11-02-2013, 09:08 AM
Mainly Italian artists of the Reinassance and Baroque period.

Lux Aeterna
11-02-2013, 09:56 AM
I like the Mexican artist Frida Kahlo, besides her work she was an admirable woman with an intresting life story.

Kahlo created at least 140 paintings, along with dozens of drawings and studies. Of her paintings, 55 are self-portraits which often incorporate symbolic portrayals of physical and psychological wounds. She insisted, "I never painted dreams. I painted my own reality."

Kahlo was also influenced by indigenous Mexican culture, which is apparent in her use of bright colors, dramatic symbolism and primitive style. She frequently included the symbolic monkey. In Mexican mythology, monkeys are symbols of lust, but Kahlo portrayed them as tender and protective symbols. Christian and Jewish themes are often depicted in her work. She combined elements of the classic religious Mexican tradition with surrealist renderings.

http://vilseivarldendotcom.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/460px-frida_kahlo_self_portrait.jpg

YakDip
11-04-2013, 06:54 PM
Max Ernst
William de Kooning
Marcel Duchamp
Man Ray
Joan Miro
Dali
Margrite
Gorky

YakDip
11-04-2013, 06:56 PM
Bunch of folks from the Dada and Surrealist period. And such.

Querubín
11-04-2013, 07:53 PM
Some them that i've their paintings or sculptures in live:

Velazquez
Murillo
Goya
Zurbaran
Ribera
El Greco
El Bosco
Picasso
Van Eyk
Rubens
Rembrant
Gauguin
Cezane
Van gogh
Caravagio
Boticelli
Canaleto
Tintoreto
Verones
Da vinci
Dali
Monet
Manet
Degas
Renoir
Rodin
Pedro Duque Cornejo (the velazquez of sculpture)
Martinez Montañez
Juan de Mesa
Hita del castillo
Torrijiano
Salvador Carmona