PDA

View Full Version : Why is Modern Art so Bad

microrobert
02-03-2015, 07:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AYsBS5cwsY

Trogdor
02-03-2015, 07:38 PM
I took a little trip to the Metropolitan Museum of Art with a friend of mine (he is an art buff). When we were near the more modern exhibits I couldn't help but ask myself, "how is this stuff art?" I suppose it's a matter of different tastes. Some people see something that others don't. Remember, a lot of famous artists like Picasso were criticized for their style too.

Piccolo
02-03-2015, 07:47 PM
I think as long as wealthy people like it and are willing to sponsor it, there will always be a place for Modern Art. I am not a fan of it myself.

Atvend
02-03-2015, 08:03 PM
We have reached a point where skill is no longer important and it is all about the shock value, you have the museums and shallow hipsters to thank for this.

Harley
02-03-2015, 08:36 PM
I am a big fan of classic art. I am also a fan of graphic art, like cartooning, graffiti and other font related designs, stuff like that.

I'm not so sure how I feel about modern art.

I did cry in front of Venus di Milo when I saw her. I am continuously wowed and in awe of the classics.

I think that modern art reflects the "no child shall be left behind" mentality taken, where people are no longer challenged and are just pushed along. I meet a surplus of individuals who often purport all these grandiose beliefs but have no willpower or sense of follow through to back it up. So people let them get away with bullshit. This is what modern art is to me.

Linebacker
02-03-2015, 08:46 PM
Modern art is very abstract,and it provokes thought.You have to put your mind into it to unlock the meaning behind a modern art picture.

Much more complex than just a picture of a plant.

Seraph of the End
02-03-2015, 11:45 PM
Transition from classical to modern art didn't happen so suddenly and, like everything else, it had its own reasons. Rapid changes in life, development of science, industry and technology (which in turn also led to the use of new materials) are just some of them.

Crises that happened in 20th century (crisis of capitalism, totalitarianism, World Wars etc.) led artists to try and find the meaning of life in irrational and accidental.

Artists also began searching for other values other than European; they found them in African, Asian and South American art. In that time people of those continents were fighting for their rights and freedom, so much attention was payed to them, I guess.

Photography was also one of the reasons. There was no more real need to paint realistically so artists decided to try something new and original.

With that being said, I don't like modern art, nor contemporary art. I suppose some people find value in today's art but I can't really see it. They're taking it too far for my taste (like that video explained)

Jackson
02-04-2015, 12:19 AM
I wouldn't even wipe my arse with most of it. Just an excuse for some stuck up losers to get paid and known for exploring the great, vaulting depths of their lack of artistic ability. Hopefully proper artists will still be in good number though, and can continue developing their craft.

Svipdag
02-04-2015, 02:58 AM
Modern art is so bad because critics will praise anything which is different. There are no longer any standards of excellence in art. Art criticism is written in a dialect of Newspeak which I call Artspeak. E.g., "The gestural elements of the painting are engaged in a plastic dance."
This reminds me of Robert Browning's reply when asked what a line in one of his poems meant. "When I wrote that, only God and Browning knew what it meant., Now only God knows."

I said that there are no standards. There is one tacit standard, however. It must never have been done before. "We've seen that. Show us something new." Novelty is the only criterion. There is no point in asking what a painting is supposed to mean because the inquirer will be told :"If you have to ask, you'll NEVER know."

I can sum up what I have said in one word: Modern Art is PHONY !

Svipdag
02-04-2015, 03:02 AM
Modern art is very abstract,and it provokes thought.You have to put your mind into it to unlock the meaning behind a modern art picture.

Much more complex than just a picture of a plant.

Is it ? Or is it like the Emperor's new clothes

Anglojew
02-04-2015, 03:04 AM
Probably because failed artist Hitler killed most of the prominent Jewish art critics/dealers in Continental Europe.

Smaland
02-04-2015, 04:22 PM
Modern art is a great scam, and it's even legal. :)

All you need is a "revered" art critic for a major city newspaper, and all of the readers hang on his every word. If he can brainwash people into believing that a canvas with nothing but paint spatters is a masterpiece, they will pay big bucks to own it, and he's in business.

After that, if he doesn't have the time to do it himself, he can hire someone to "paint" for him. Of course, the "painter" needs to receive a big enough cut so that he keeps the scam quiet.

Once his operation is running, the art critic needs only to be careful so as not to saturate the market.

And there you have it, a great con that generates a lot of extra income. :D

zhaoyun
02-04-2015, 04:24 PM
I think most modern artists should be put in a concentration camp.

Dombra
02-04-2015, 04:52 PM
I prefer the old modernist like Picasso, the surrealists etc. over classical art. Their art is very beautiful, playful and intriguing in their own right as well as pleasing for even uninitiated eyes. Much like how impressionists deviated from the classical discipline, so did they.

The problem came with Duchamp and the dadaists. They exposed the first anti-art to the world and every one forgot that art can be modern and still enjoyable

I do not think classical art should dominate any more but it should definitely be encouraged in new ways

Svipdag
02-04-2015, 06:54 PM
Probably because failed artist Hitler killed most of the prominent Jewish art critics/dealers in Continental Europe.

I doubt that an artist who supported himself for ten years by painting and selling street scenes to tourists can be called a failure. I know at least 2 professional artists who couldn't have done that. Hitler was a good artist, but he wanted to be a GREAT artist, and that was beyond his capabilities.

Nebuchadnezzar
02-04-2015, 07:14 PM
It doesn't end with "Art".....

I feel the same way about 21st century music industry.

Balmung
02-04-2015, 07:14 PM
As with music sure its bad if you're not expanding your horizons and solely focusing on the garbage critics approve of. We live in a very interconnected age its relatively easy to find quality if you know how to look. Pay less attention to the big businesses that have quotas to meet and more to those who have nothing to gain. That is where the best art comes in be it paintings, music, films or games. They're usually better because they're more personal and by having little concern over quotas or trying to appeal to the masses the creator has more room to experiment allowing true creativity to flourish.

Tacitus
02-04-2015, 07:18 PM
I prefer the old modernist like Picasso, the surrealists etc. over classical art. Their art is very beautiful, playful and intriguing in their own right as well as pleasing for even uninitiated eyes. Much like how impressionists deviated from the classical discipline, so did they.

The problem came with Duchamp and the dadaists. They exposed the first anti-art to the world and every one forgot that art can be modern and still enjoyable

I do not think classical art should dominate any more but it should definitely be encouraged in new ways

I prefer pre-modern art myself, but I do like a lot of the "old" modernist works too (Picasso, Dali, Matisse, etc.). Agreed that the Dadaism movement was the beginning of the end though.

Sideritis
02-04-2015, 07:28 PM
Modern art, as I conceived, is more about provoking reaction and breaking taboos. The main challenges of humanity nowadays is related with breaking taboos and preconceived thoughts. So in this sense it works. Art before was about aesthetics and beauty. I liked mostly the later but I think the further has an purpose as well.

Jackson
02-04-2015, 10:02 PM
Modern art, as I conceived, is more about provoking reaction and breaking taboos. The main challenges of humanity nowadays is related with breaking taboos and preconceived thoughts. So in this sense it works. Art before was about aesthetics and beauty. I liked mostly the later but I think the further has an purpose as well.

So therefore modern art is purely politics.

Rædwald
02-04-2015, 10:12 PM
So people with no artistic ability could feel like artists. So basically your typical Marxist bullshit.

Anglojew
02-04-2015, 10:14 PM
I doubt that an artist who supported himself for ten years by painting and selling street scenes to tourists can be called a failure. I know at least 2 professional artists who couldn't have done that. Hitler was a good artist, but he wanted to be a GREAT artist, and that was beyond his capabilities.

It does if you expel all of your patrons:

Hitler sold his paintings almost exclusively to Jewish dealers: Morgenstern, Landsberger and Altenberg.

Even after you express the following opinion of (the art) business:

‘you can do business with the Jews because they’re the only ones prepared to take a risk’

http://www.younghitler.com/hitlers_jewish_friends.htm

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2002/08/19/hitler-as-artist

Herr Abubu
02-04-2015, 10:22 PM
Roger Scruton has a rather nice take on art.

http://vimeo.com/112655231

The reason modern art is so terribly bad is because it does not aim to be beautiful, it aims towards the exact opposite.

NSXD60
02-04-2015, 10:23 PM
Modern art is self-indulgent, in other words, it's jerking off, where you do it to please yourself and the public be damned; but the same may be said of other arts like music, for instance, in which improvisation ignores melody and goes off into masturbatory ecstasy, if you will. Boredom often leads to this. It's the same as if one loses a girlfriend and instead of pleasing another person (the girlfriend, and for other subjects, the crowd), one whips it out and wanks old feelgood.

Jana
02-04-2015, 10:23 PM
It is bad and uncreative, I don't like most of it.

Svipdag
02-05-2015, 01:15 AM
It doesn't end with "Art".....

I feel the same way about 21st century music industry.

RIGHT ON !

Herr Abubu
02-05-2015, 01:20 AM

What a gullible little thing.

rob211080
03-07-2015, 05:47 PM
http://youtu.be/nmRo3mHGJI8

Svipdag
03-07-2015, 08:07 PM
Because there are no longer any standards. Anything goes. When there are no standards of excellence , there is no excellence. How can there be any incentive to excel when DUCO enamel dripped onto cardboard from a stepladder brings tens of thousands of dollars ?

Drakoblare
03-07-2015, 08:18 PM
The fags took over, like they did in most entertainment industries.