PDA

View Full Version : A turn for the better

KidMulat
07-12-2012, 12:48 AM
So I now work with a lot of europeans and about 9/10 costumers are Germans-Dutch-French-Norwegian-Italian/Japanese/Brazilian.

Really my interactions have so far been great 2 weeks, I can speak minor conversation french now without a Kréyol La Lwizyàn accent, can speak very basic German greetings and such or minor instructions and am getting past basic with Dutch and the people who I speak to are so ecstatic.

They are kind and are very impressed an American went out of their way to speak thier languages, I have had conversations (back in English) about who I am/where I'm from, why I learned and what else do I know about their respective countries and cultures. I have been told I need to travel their, people are so kind in general.

I don't know why but after being on this website I was beginning to think that the European tourist and resident in this city may have had more prejudice than I had hoped.

But the J1 Irish kids, the German and French students I work with are so chill; at night on Market street I continually can tell that someone or a group is European.

They don't looked scared as all get out by a group of homeless people, they alk in groups or pairs, they realize threats in a way I only really notice among people who lived in such places before but over all are just secure peoples.

Its very weird that my Nationality and it seems class background seems to take center stage among most people. Anyway thats why I'm not on here much; I am learning european culture in real life.

Anyway some of you guys are awesome and I miss talking to you. Bye!