PDA

View Full Version : What is your criteria for judging other people?

Osprey
08-07-2012, 06:07 PM
How do you judge their worthiness?

Charlie Bass
08-07-2012, 06:15 PM
Their support both in hard and good times.

Osprey
08-07-2012, 06:17 PM
Mine is their choice in partner.
The closer that person is to them, the higher the person gets in my books.

anastasia
08-07-2012, 06:18 PM
the way they behave to their friends and family as well as to strangers, how true they are to their values and also their educational and intellectual level are very impoprtant when you eveluate people

Osprey
08-07-2012, 06:21 PM
how true they are to their values

:thumb001:

educational and intellectual level are very impoprtant when you eveluate people

I think, intellect is something which cannot be altered. If a person makes sensible comments, possible within his/her capability, then he/she is alright in my book.
No need to be a genius or a bookworm to be considered worthy.

anastasia
08-07-2012, 06:24 PM
Yes that is true. But personally i appriciate people who are eager to learn and expand their knowlegde, And who are also open-minded.

Graham
08-07-2012, 06:24 PM
Prefer those that are down to earth & Feet firmly planted. Aren't bigheaded.

I'm not a judgemental person to be honest. if you're fine with me, I'm ok with you.

Supreme American
08-07-2012, 06:25 PM

Intelligence, decency, treating friends and family with due respect. Reliability, honesty, and so forth. Not dumping on people or blowing them off.

anastasia
08-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Intelligence, decency, treating friends and family with due respect. Reliability, honesty, and so forth. Not dumping on people or blowing them off.

I agree

Sikeliot
08-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Their personality, respect for those around them, manners, way of speaking to other people (i.e. tone, eye contact). Basically their character.

arcticwolf
08-07-2012, 06:32 PM
How enlightened their mind is. Everything else is of secondary importance.

Osprey
08-07-2012, 06:34 PM
How enlightened their mind is. Everything else is of secondary importance.

Or, how much the person knows about the "kamasutra" :D

arcticwolf
08-07-2012, 06:39 PM
Or, how much the person knows about the "kamasutra" :D

Haha your mind is deeply in the gutter amigo. ;)

Not exactly. How well does a particular mind understand reality. I don't mean the apparent nature of reality I mean it's true, ultimate state.

I don't suppose you are trying to engage me in the discussion about singularity, or do you now? :p

Osprey
08-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Haha your mind is deeply in the gutter amigo. ;)

Not exactly. How well does a particular mind understand reality. I don't mean the apparent nature of reality I mean it's true, ultimate state.

I don't suppose you are trying to engage me in the discussion about singularity, or do you now? :p

:picard1:

Jedthehumanoid
08-07-2012, 06:42 PM
I like people to be polite. From there you have a starting base, after that it's charm, kindness, sense of humour, etc. I only judge myself;)

arcticwolf
08-07-2012, 06:43 PM
:picard1:

Tell me which part you are unclear about, and I'll rephrase it so you can really grasp the essence of what I have said. :laugh:

Duży Zaganiacz
08-07-2012, 06:44 PM
A worthy person is the one who knows how to deal with people.

Frosty
08-09-2012, 07:40 AM
It depends on how much time I have for knowing them,but the first thing I pay attention on, is how person treats his parents or elderly people in his family,/ordinary, normal family/.Man with no such proper respect is not a reliable person.

Stefan
08-09-2012, 07:42 AM
How open they are to ideas. Intentional ignorance is something that really bothers me. If somebody is intentionally ignoring facts or what you have to say, then they really don't care about what you've got to say in the first place. Everybody who is able to acknowledge a point, without a straw-man or other illogical argument, is alright in my book regardless of their intelligence, knowledge or beliefs.

Anarch
08-09-2012, 07:50 AM
Their virtue or lack thereof.

Bobcat Fraser
08-09-2012, 11:01 AM
How do they treat other people? What do they do and say when no one is watching? Do they gossip about other people? If they gossip about them, they'll gossip about you.

TheNepenthe
08-09-2012, 11:08 AM
1. Courage
2. Truth
3. Honour
4. Fidelity
5.Discipline
6. Hospitality
7. Self Reliance
8. Industriousness
9. Perseverance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_Noble_Virtues

10. Intelligence
11. Creativity (in art, science) and productivity
12. Practicality
13. Knowledge

The Alchemist
08-09-2012, 11:47 AM
I hate judging other people and i hate to be judged, i just try to look at myself into the mirror as more often as possible.
Judging other people is proper of insecure, empty and restless people. If you are ok in your own skin, what do you care about other people characteristics, if they're "good" or "bad"??? I just don't care, and just choose people who can give me good emotions.

AR89
08-09-2012, 11:56 AM
I don't judge other people, I should know too much about them. I only judge what they do.

Absinthe
08-09-2012, 12:05 PM
Intelligence, independence, honesty, industriousness, sense of humor, social skills, reliability, among other things.

I generally tend to dislike people who are lazy and make up all kinds of excuses for their unwillingness to work.

I have no respect towards people who are over 25 y.o. and have never left the parental home, even if temporarily, and who keep on staying with their folks over in their 30+ without some exceptional reason.

I run away from people who are generally dishonest, manipulative, and habitual liars.

I love people with a good sense of humor who are able to cope in most social situations no matter their political orientation and cultural preferences are.
(From a punk concert to the opera house, sort of thing).

I admire and respect people who are industrious (regardless of the profession and salary), creative, productive, and who manage their finances well and don't engage in extravagant spending.

Most of all I admire people who possess all the above qualities and can be good and reliable friends.

Frosty
08-09-2012, 12:20 PM
I hate judging other people and i hate to be judged, i just try to look at myself into the mirror as more often as possible.
Judging other people is proper of insecure, empty and restless people. If you are ok in your own skin, what do you care about other people characteristics, if they're "good" or "bad"??? I just don't care, and just choose people who can give me good emotions.
I think the question doesn't refer to 'judgement" as a "condemnation".
We all have opinion on others having in mind their reactions,words,actions and so on and that's what makes a portrait of their personality and makes us like them or not.There are certain things in common behavior that speak louder than words.For example,people with no sympathy or mercy toward animals are likely to show rudeness toward people as well.

Incel King
08-09-2012, 12:47 PM
Race, Skin Color, Nationality, Ethnicity, Meta-Ethnicity, Ancestry, Religion, Political Affiliation, Sexual Orientation, Gender, Virginity, Marital status, Social Status, Social Class, Education, Profession, Intelligence, Taste In Music, Clothing, Manners, Behavior, Habits, Hobbies.

Lena
08-09-2012, 01:05 PM
Wow, such a long list ^ :D

I keep it to loyalty and honesty, the most important to me...I dislike to ask a million questions therefore the second one is easily achievable.

Sultan Suleiman
08-09-2012, 01:07 PM
I base it on a simple question;"Are they Austrian?" :D

Rastko
08-09-2012, 01:10 PM
Their shoes.

I'm honest.

PetiteParisienne
08-09-2012, 01:13 PM
I'm generally a fairly open person, and try to give everyone I meet the benefit of the doubt. However, I have a hard time trusting anyone who dislikes animals and children.

Lithium
08-09-2012, 01:20 PM
People who do not believe in stereotypes and do not trust labels, if they meet that criteria they are perfectly fine to me :D

Osprey
08-09-2012, 01:51 PM
I have generally seen, a large majority of happy couples, intelligent and contributing members of society and generally honest, kind folk come from marriages of similar looking and like minded peoples.

Leliana
08-09-2012, 07:04 PM
1. Courage
2. Truth
3. Honour
4. Fidelity
5.Discipline
6. Hospitality
7. Self Reliance
8. Industriousness
9. Perseverance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_Noble_Virtues
This! Friendly looks play a big role, too, and a open and honest character. I'd lie if I said that religion, ethnicity and cultural background play no role. It plays a role in my judgement and I'm right more often than not.

The Alchemist
08-10-2012, 09:51 AM
I think the question doesn't refer to 'judgement" as a "condemnation".
We all have opinion on others having in mind their reactions,words,actions and so on and that's what makes a portrait of their personality and makes us like them or not.There are certain things in common behavior that speak louder than words.For example,people with no sympathy or mercy toward animals are likely to show rudeness toward people as well.

I try to avoid judging all the ways (not in the sense of "condamning" as you said, but i just try to refrain from giving opinions about other people and things in general.
I mean, i don't like labeling things and people as "good" or "bad", i realized that there's some good and evil in all of us. I also dislike criticizing other people (even if it happens to me too), coz basically if i were him, with his experiences and history, i'd probably be like him.
Ok, maybe i'm hard to understand, but what i do in my life is -obviously- choosing people who have many things in common with me, but at the same time i try not to give judgements on their actions and qualities.
I try to take things as they are.

Heart of Oak
08-10-2012, 11:06 AM
I am a firm believer in first impressions, make me laugh an your well on your wayn to becoming my friend...

Arbërori
08-17-2012, 05:12 AM
I'm actually an eliticist, so I would say looks, virtues, personality, financial status & patriotism are very important with me.:thumb001: Oh and ofcourse open mindness! :eek: What I've noticed is that attractive people can either be the best or the worst people to meet, funny.

Arthas
08-17-2012, 07:15 PM
I judge them by how they treat me. Call me selfish, but I couldn't care less whether someone is an asshole to other people, as long as they are nice to me I will treat them nicely.

arcticwolf
08-17-2012, 07:21 PM
I judge them by how they treat me. Call me selfish, but I couldn't care less whether someone is an asshole to other people, as long as they are nice to me I will treat them nicely.

No, you are not an asshole, you are young and your opinions are not very well developed yet, that's all. Wisdom comes with age, don't worry stupidity is not permanent. :laugh:

Arthas
08-17-2012, 07:28 PM
No, you are not an asshole, you are young and your opinions are not very well developed yet, that's all. Wisdom comes with age, don't worry stupidity is not permanent. :laugh:

How in any way is what I said in my post stupid?

Graus
08-17-2012, 07:29 PM
Actions, also to a lesser extend political views and religion.

Arthas
08-17-2012, 07:31 PM
political views

I try not to let politics get in the way of social relations but I do judge people a lot on that and I simply couldn't be a close friends with someone who was militantly anti-racist.

Germanicus
08-17-2012, 07:34 PM
We don’t tend to judge people with bad intentions, we just automatically make a subconscious comparison in our internal deck of cards to what is acceptable, this allow us to make conscious decisions on classifying people in our internal categories we have established from past experience or information we have seen before.

arcticwolf
08-17-2012, 07:37 PM
How in any way is what I said in my post stupid?

Well without going into the depths of it which you can't understand fully anyhow yet, I'll make it easy for you .. if someone treats everybody like shit but currently he treats you well, the chances that he will treat you like shit in the future are 100%. The current situation is temporary, so your assessment of reality is without foresight, or understanding the big picture. Being decent is like being pregnant you either are or you are not. There is no selective decency.

At your age not being able to see the consequences of something is nothing unusual. Young people are 100% ignorant one way or another about reality. It's just the way it is.

This is not a statement about you, it's a statement about reality of being young and not gaining much wisdom yet.

Arthas
08-17-2012, 07:41 PM
What's with your militant ageism? Rofl

arcticwolf
08-17-2012, 07:46 PM
What's with your militant ageism? Rofl

:laugh: It has nothing to do with that. It's just reality. Don't worry about it, most people never achieve any significant wisdom in their entire life, and confuse wisdom with knowledge. It's not like it's common or anything. Make wisdom your goal now and you shall have it. As I said no mental state is permanent, it's up to you who you are gonna be 5 years from now. ;)

Graus
08-17-2012, 07:48 PM
I try not to let politics get in the way of social relations but I do judge people a lot on that and I simply couldn't be a close friends with someone who was militantly anti-racist.

Thats why I said to a lesser extend, I have somewhat liberal friends myself and I will marry a fairly liberal woman. But I cant keep it completly out of the equation either.

Arthas
08-17-2012, 07:51 PM
:laugh: It has nothing to do with that. It's just reality. Don't worry about it, most people never achieve any significant wisdom in their entire life, and confuse wisdom with knowledge. It's not like it's common or anything. Make wisdom your goal now and you shall have it. As I said no mental state is permanent, it's up to you who you are gonna be 5 years from now. ;)

It's one thing recognising that older people are generally more wise than younger people (which I agree with), it's a whole new level of ignorance when you totally disregard someone's opinion because they are younger than you, and base an entire argument on nothing but age. :)

Arthas
08-17-2012, 07:54 PM
Thats why I said to a lesser extend, I have somewhat liberal friends myself and I will marry a fairly liberal woman. But I cant keep it completly out of the equation either.

Yeah I could marry a liberal woman who didn't care too much about politics, but if she was some hippie fucktard I would stay the fuck away from a her.

arcticwolf
08-17-2012, 07:58 PM
It's one thing recognising that older people are generally more wise than younger people (which I agree with) it's a whole new level of ignorance when you totally disregard someone's opinion because they are younger than you, and base an entire argument on nothing but age. :)

I have not based it on age I factored the age in. Here is what I said:

"Well without going into the depths of it which you can't understand fully anyhow yet, I'll make it easy for you .. if someone treats everybody like shit but currently he treats you well, the chances that he will treat you like shit in the future are 100%. The current situation is temporary, so your assessment of reality is without foresight, or understanding the big picture. Being decent is like being pregnant you either are or you are not. There is no selective decency."

Don't take it personally I did not mean it that way. Here is a piece of wisdom to get you started on a path: " The man is no fool who gives up what he can't keep to gain what he can't lose"

Think about it. ;)

Tony
08-17-2012, 07:59 PM
The very first thing I try to learn of them is if they are giver or taker.
And in the second case I won't see/date him/her twice.

Arthas
08-17-2012, 08:02 PM
If you want my logical response to the only non-age-based point you made in your post you mentioned, the moment he stopped being nice to me, I would stop being nice to him.

I don't take it personally, nor am I insulted, I would just prefer it if you made a logical argument rather than a page of ad hominem. :)

arcticwolf
08-17-2012, 08:06 PM
If you want my logical response to the only non-age-based point you made in your post you mentioned, the moment he stopped being nice to me, I would stop being nice to him.

I don't take it personally, nor am I insulted, I would just prefer it if you made a logical argument rather than a page of ad hominem. :)

Alright, you win! :thumb001:

Germanicus
08-17-2012, 08:16 PM
Yeah I could marry a liberal woman who didn't care too much about politics, but if she was some hippie fucktard I would stay the fuck away from a her.

And you want us to take you seriously with this kind of Juvenile prattle?:picard1:

Arthas
08-17-2012, 08:33 PM
And you want us to take you seriously with this kind of Juvenile prattle?:picard1:

I couldn't care less whether or not people take me seriously. If you don't like my opinion that's fine, but at least make some kind of intelligent response rather than sitting there and bitching at me on an Internet forum. :)

Leadchucker
08-17-2012, 09:56 PM
We don’t tend to judge people with bad intentions, we just automatically make a subconscious comparison in our internal deck of cards to what is acceptable, this allow us to make conscious decisions on classifying people in our internal categories we have established from past experience or information we have seen before.

:thumb001::thumb001:
And the older you get the bigger the deck of cards becomes. Criteria base widens by a whole shitload at some point in the aging trip and stuff you wouldn't stand for at 20 something is completely unimportant at 60 something. It might be called mellowing but the effect is the same.

Germanicus
08-18-2012, 10:45 AM
:thumb001::thumb001:
And the older you get the bigger the deck of cards becomes. Criteria base widens by a whole shitload at some point in the aging trip and stuff you wouldn't stand for at 20 something is completely unimportant at 60 something. It might be called mellowing but the effect is the same.

How true.

But i get the feeling Arthas has put his age at 17 when it might really be 15.
Don't get me wrong, i have been around a long time and i know a juvenile when i see one!!!!

Drawing-slim
08-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Personally i've never been interested in getting to know prople to close, since i was a kid. I'm scary comfortable loner in a way.
But of course for those that I've gotten to know through the years, i jugde them during their lowest and highest points, time is necessarly to really get to know someone.
Time will always tell the true colours of ones soul.
Personally, i welcome any outcome, its intruging to me either way to learn about different characters in life, since i never invest much and dont expect anything from anyone.

Arthas
08-18-2012, 11:34 AM
How true.

But i get the feeling Arthas has put his age at 17 when it might really be 15.
Don't get me wrong, i have been around a long time and i know a juvenile when i see one!!!!

I'm 17. I don't know what your problem is, but please stop making bitchy comments to try and get a rise out of me. It's extremely ironic that you are questioning my age when you are acting like a 12 year old, grow up.

I am expecting a few more petty insults and rage-filled posts from you so I'd just like to say in advance: Don't bother, you're just making yourself look pathetic.

Thank you.

Talvi
08-18-2012, 11:36 AM
Awww, everybody is judging Arthas.

Heart of Oak
08-21-2012, 05:54 PM
I always check their shoes out first, you can tell a lot about someone by there foot wear...

MarkyMark
08-21-2012, 05:57 PM
Skin color and intellectual capacity. Joking. Usually it depends on whether they annoy me.

Tony
08-21-2012, 07:28 PM
I always check their shoes out first, you can tell a lot about someone by there foot wear...

Tell us about this man...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/--UCEV-DKVSM/TxbyVi7iylI/AAAAAAAAAZ0/Oc-XdUyDuRE/s1600/albert-einstein-at-beach-1945%255B2%255D.jpg

Heart of Oak
08-22-2012, 11:20 AM
Tell us about this man...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/--UCEV-DKVSM/TxbyVi7iylI/AAAAAAAAAZ0/Oc-XdUyDuRE/s1600/albert-einstein-at-beach-1945%255B2%255D.jpg

Someone that choices to look after there foot wear usually has good manners, and personal hygine and spends there cash on the best things in life, hence a carring person...

Svipdag
10-04-2012, 02:20 AM
The person's behavior, especially toward me. Is the person polite, considerate, good-natured, or is the person rude, boorish, pugnacious, and disagreeable ? Courtesy oils the wheels of human relationships.

I did omit one important trait, though: sincerity. I detest hypocrites. If a person is sincerely polite, considerate, and good-natured, I can agree to disagree in an amicable fashion about most other issues.

"ID FACERE LAVS EST QVOD DECET NON QVOD LICET" - LUCIVS ANNAEVS SENECA

Ozzy
10-04-2012, 02:27 AM

Well, my shoes are basically dirty as shit because I only had one nice pair that I ruined for work and I mostly just work anyway if I'm not out shopping.. I figure people could wager that I'm a dirty bastard, looking just at my shoes, and I guess I am...... when it comes to my shoes.

My clothes are clean, and they look no worse IMO than overly expensive name-brand crap. That stuff doesn't impress me at all if I don't like how it looks on someone.

Flintlocke
10-04-2012, 07:05 AM
Boobs