PDA

View Full Version : Americanisms

Jedthehumanoid
08-21-2012, 05:17 PM
This is a BBC list of the most irritating Americanisms that rattle the cages of us "guys". It's the use of the word "guys" that I can't stand:(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14201796

I was prompted to look the list up when I heard that well known American politician using the word "squirmish" :D

Balmung
08-21-2012, 05:19 PM
Guys, Dude/Duder, Bro is better than mate. Mate sounds like you're a couple :P

jerney
08-21-2012, 05:24 PM
I can't stand bro or dude. Don't get the big deal about guys, I use it often enough :shrug:

Graham
08-21-2012, 05:26 PM
So pernickety. We all have different ways of saying things in Britain.

Although I don't understand why the month comes before the day for example. 9-11. Whereas we say 11-9.

jerney
08-21-2012, 05:27 PM
Some of these are stupid and people are whining (or whinging?) over nothing and some I've rarely, if ever, heard, but even this one annoys me

39. My favourite one was where Americans claimed their family were "Scotch-Irish". This of course it totally inaccurate, as even if it were possible, it would be "Scots" not "Scotch", which as I pointed out is a drink. James, Somerset

MarkyMark
08-21-2012, 05:29 PM
Yeah, seems like British people are quite bitter.

Graham
08-21-2012, 05:32 PM
Some of these are stupid and people are whining (or whinging?) over nothing and some I've rarely, if ever, heard, but even this one annoys me

39. My favourite one was where Americans claimed their family were "Scotch-Irish". This of course it totally inaccurate, as even if it were possible, it would be "Scots" not "Scotch", which as I pointed out is a drink. James, Somerset

The English call us Scotch in certain places. Scotch isn't a drink, it's Scotch Whisky. :p

MST3K
08-21-2012, 05:41 PM
Where you AT? instead of "Where are you" and the lack of the "u" in color/colour angers me.

jerney
08-21-2012, 05:49 PM
Where did you get those color pants at?

Ánleifr
08-21-2012, 06:01 PM
Europeans use the word "Cheers" instead of bye.....I don't mind it, I actually like it better because it sounds uplifting whereas Bye sounds sad.

Oh and the Brits love the use of the word ........"BLOODY" LOL

"To bloody hell with it!" :)

Jedthehumanoid
08-21-2012, 06:12 PM
So pernickety. We all have different ways of saying things in Britain.

My bad Scotch dude.

Balmung
08-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Yeah, seems like British people are quite bitter.

Brits = Player haters.

Jedthehumanoid
08-21-2012, 06:16 PM
Europeans use the word "Cheers" instead of bye.....I don't mind it, I actually like it better because it sounds uplifting whereas Bye sounds sad.

Cheers is generally used instead of thanks....do you mean ciao?

Allenson
08-21-2012, 06:31 PM
LOL at Brits complaining about Americanisms.

First off, they spawned us and our language--many Americanisms are archaic forms from when the English first came here that have been lost in England itself. See Albion's Seed.

Secondly, as if they don't have loads of their own quirky mannerisms that make perfect sense to them but seem strange to us.

I do understand the concern of our -isms becoming entrenched over there though. It's simple I guess--don't use them if you don't like them. Woot!

Jedthehumanoid
08-21-2012, 09:30 PM
Secondly, as if they don't have loads of their own quirky mannerisms that make perfect sense to them but seem strange to us.

Like what, you're talking pants now;)

MST3K
08-22-2012, 07:57 AM
Where did you get those color pants at?

Touché :laugh:

Methmatician
08-22-2012, 08:09 AM
Say mates or lads instead.

Mechanolater
08-22-2012, 08:11 AM
48. "I got it for free" is a pet hate. You got it "free" not "for free". You don't get something cheap and say you got it "for cheap" do you? Mark Jones, Plymouth

I do. What now, Mark Jones!?

rhiannon
08-22-2012, 08:21 AM

My mother's mother was Canadian...native to Toronto. I think my mother grew up hearing her mom say bloody. Thus, my mom said bloody all the time....and now, so do I:D I also remember my grandma saying 'Eh' quite frequently lol.

It is weird for me to see the word mum in place of mom. I have always thought of a mum as a flower:)

Admittedly, I am one of the major offenders for use of words like dude. Californians say dude all the time lol.

Guy to me seems innocuous enough....but Gal I can't stand!!

In general, I do find differing colloquialisms between Americans and Europeans to be quite fascinating:)

Jedthehumanoid
08-22-2012, 08:51 AM
My mother's mother was Canadian...native to Toronto. I think my mother grew up hearing her mom say bloody. Thus, my mom said bloody all the time....and now, so do I:D I also remember my grandma saying 'Eh' quite frequently lol.

It is weird for me to see the word mum in place of mom. I have always thought of a mum as a flower:)

Admittedly, I am one of the major offenders for use of words like dude. Californians say dude all the time lol.

Guy to me seems innocuous enough....but Gal I can't stand!!

In general, I do find differing colloquialisms between Americans and Europeans to be quite fascinating:)

As they say we're divided by a common language:D

It's the usage of the word guys that I dislike, for instance even my younger sister uses it now as in "What would you guys like to drink".....it just sounds so wrong:rolleyes: