PDA

View Full Version : Czech Republic - Eastern or Western

Pages : [1] 2

Su
11-14-2012, 04:39 PM
Based on the culture, language, history, customs, live style etc. Do you see Czech Republic as an Eastern European country or rather Western European country?

Please vote, thanks.

Su
11-14-2012, 04:45 PM
Also a map:

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/europe/europe_map.jpg

Su
11-14-2012, 04:53 PM
Another map:
http://czechmeout.umwblogs.org/2011/01/23/files/2011/01/europe_map_czech_republic_prague.jpg

Äike
11-14-2012, 04:59 PM
The Czech are Eastern-Europeans. Their names are Slavic, they look Slavic and their language is Slavic.

I work in a hotel and one of my Russian coworkers was speaking to some Czech people in English, after hearing their accent, he automatically switched to Russian. As the Czech accent is typically Eastern-European/Russian/Slavic. But the Czech didn't speak Russian, lol.

Anyway, even a Russian thought that those Czech people were Russian.

Mans not hot
11-14-2012, 05:01 PM
Karl, stop trolling this thread for fuck sake. Czechs are Central European, not Eastern nor Western. End of.

Ayazid
11-14-2012, 05:04 PM
Definitely Western Europe (technically it's Central Europe, but that option somehow got lost along the way :tongue).

Anyway!!!

Culture and life style: Traditionally Roman catholic/protestant (today largely atheist/non-religious) of Austro-German character. We are reserved, beer drinking, hard working people ... and damn punctual! :cool::D

Language: West Slavic, so we are Western even in this point, unless you consider language to be the chief criterium and Slavic languages Eastern by default, but in that case Romanians would be Western Europeans/Latinos. :D

Customs: like what exactly? :D

History: part of German area of influence since the 9th century AD at least. But ok, we were 40 years under the big eastern brother's yoke. :p

Mans not hot
11-14-2012, 05:06 PM
Language: West Slavic, so we are Western even in this point, unless you consider language to be the chief criterium and Slavic languages Eastern by default, but in that case Romanians would be Western Europeans/Latinos. :D
Even Czech and Polish are belong to the same family language, they don't sound alike at all.

Midori
11-14-2012, 05:07 PM
Karl, stop trolling this thread for fuck sake. Czechs are Central European, not Eastern nor Western. End of.

''Central Europe'' does not exist. This term was invented by nations who are ashamed of being Eastern European.

Blackout
11-14-2012, 05:10 PM
The Czech Republic has been traditionally thought of as an 'Eastern' European country, due to its communist rule. It is mainly Slavic but has a strong Germanic influence aswell. I suppose you could say, its the transition of both eastern and western Europe.

Ayazid
11-14-2012, 05:14 PM
''Central Europe'' does not exist. This term was invented by nations who are ashamed of being Eastern European.

Ok, we can be in Eastern Europe, but Austrians and Eastern Germans too.:D

Mans not hot
11-14-2012, 05:14 PM
If they are ashamed of being Eastern European, does that mean they consider themselves as Central European than anything? Your answer make no sense. At least, to me.

esaima
11-14-2012, 05:15 PM
Neither eastern nor western, theyre central.

Aura
11-14-2012, 05:16 PM
I will say that Czechs are just 'assimilated westerns' as I know Praga was German city till 18 century, so the german influence was very strong. Beside all of slavic elements they can pass in western...

Ayazid
11-14-2012, 05:17 PM
Even Czech and Polish are belong to the same family language, they don't sound alike at all.

I have heard that Czech sounds funny to Poles, like Polish pronounced by a retarded person, or something along that lines. :eek::D But you sound to us funny too. :p

But seriously, Polish and Czech are really not that close as their belonging to Western Slavic group would suggest. I have serious problems with understanding spoken Polish (but I don't live near the border, neither have much contact with Polish speakers).

Mans not hot
11-14-2012, 05:17 PM
I will say that Czechs are just 'assimilated westerns' as I know Praga was German city till 18 century, so the german influence was very strong. Beside all of slavic elements they can pass in western...
You're Albo, so nobody take you seriously. :)

Mans not hot
11-14-2012, 05:23 PM
I have heard that Czech sounds funny to Poles, like Polish pronounced by a retarded person, or something along that lines. :eek::D
Czech language sounds like baby talk, some words sound like diminutives and it's very funny for us.

Äike
11-14-2012, 05:25 PM

Everything I stated before is true, that's not trolling.

Aura
11-14-2012, 05:26 PM
You're Albo, so nobody take you seriously. :)

Im Albo, not a big nation but very proud compared with you big nation but worthless and inferior, I see Czechs way better than you. Everything I know about poles is just one pope and one compositor, nothing more

Incal
11-14-2012, 05:37 PM
I think they are a perfect blend of both. Sometimes I go as far as considering Czechs slaviced germanics lol.

Mans not hot
11-14-2012, 05:44 PM
Im Albo, not a big nation but very proud compared with you big nation but worthless and inferior, I see Czechs way better than you. Everything I know about poles is just one pope and one compositor, nothing more
Oh, your word just hurt me, Mrs shitard. You obviously know nothing about Poland. Poland have a great contribution(s) in comparison to shithole like Albania. Copernicus, the first astronomer to formulate a scientifically-based heliocentric cosmology that displaced the Earth from the center of the universe
Maria Skłodowska- Curie, the first woman to be awarded a Nobel prize twice for discovering radium and polonium
Frederick Chopin, one of the greatest composers
Joseph Condrad, a Polish thought to be one of the greatest English novelists
Poland was also the first European country to have their own constitution in 1791
The Solidarity movement with its leader Lech Walesa largely contributed to the fall of communism in Europe (recently it’s been 25 years since Walesa was awarded with the Nobel Prize for Peace)
Pope John Paul II was also Polish
Battle Of Warsaw (1920) which is believed to have stopped the Bolshevik march into Western Europe.

What Albania has achieved? Nothing.

Ayazid
11-14-2012, 05:46 PM
I think they are a perfect blend of both. Sometimes I go as far as considering Czechs slaviced germanics lol.

That's true. There used to be a very big German community here before the WW2. Actually, there were more Germans than Slovaks in Czechoslovakia.:rolleyes: Even today, many Czechs have German surnames, even if there is nothing German about them or their recent ancestry.

We are kind of Slavic speaking Austro/Germans (even if some people here wouldn't acknowledge that), perhaps a bit like Slovenians.

Madonna
11-14-2012, 05:52 PM
Czech language sounds like baby talk, some words sound like diminutives and it's very funny for us.

some words mean something else in totaly

like szukać !!!

when I was in Praha everyone wants me to speak Polish and they did understand me seriously !!!
btw Im going to Praha next week :) Im soo happy its beautiful place :)

Madonna
11-14-2012, 05:56 PM
Odjazdy autobusów - Odchody autobusow

Mam pomysł - Mam napad

Miejsce stałego zamieszkania - Trvale bydlisko

Stonka ziemniaczana - Mandolinka bramborova

Plaster na odciski - Naplast na kure oko

Gwiazdozbiór - Hvezdokupa

Wiewiórka - Drevni kocur

Chwilowo nieobecny - Momentalnie ne przitomni

Hod dog - Parek v rohliku

Płyta CD - Cedeczko

Teatr narodowy - Narodove divadl

Drodzy widzowie - Wazeni divacy

Zepsuty - Poruhany

Koparka - Ripadlo

Zaczarowany flet - Zahlastana fifulka

"Być albo nie być - oto jest pytanie" - "Bytka abo ne bytka - to je zapytka"

Madonna
11-14-2012, 05:58 PM
flaga – šmatička na patičku
czekolada – kakaová deska
telefon komórkowy – ukradená ceglička
denaturat – fioletová napitečka
spodnie dresowe – šelesticské drehové vorečký
łódź – ďuravá lůpinká
gimnastyka – zdrvotné vyhybaský
zegarek – hodinek
czapka – nahlávnik
chusteczka do nosa – smarková šmatička
stanik – cycková výhoda
jeż – pohodový kaktus
awaria pługa – poruha na ruhadle
gołąb – dachový obsraněc
rekin ludojad – lůdkový pogryzač
tygrys – páskovaný pogryzač
konserwa – pálcová torturá
papier toaletowy – dupová vyčeračka
krzesło – dupový podperač
zepsuty – poruhaný
pokrzywa – hvascik parzydupnik
To je sraćka. – Fajne, ale mogło być lepsze
Gwiazdozbiór - hvezdokupa
Niezapomniana trójka czeskich hokejowych napastników - Popil, Poruhal a Smutny.
Narzeczony - produpnik
Narzeczona - produpnica

Dacul
11-14-2012, 05:59 PM
From my point of view:
One of the most civilized countries in the world,with a very high living standard.
Not western,but north-western,in same leagues with Germany,Austria,Switzerland,Norway,Sweden,Finland.

Madonna
11-14-2012, 05:59 PM
terminator in czech elektronicky mordulec the most funny thing ohman

Aura
11-14-2012, 06:03 PM
Oh, your word just hurt me, Mrs shitard. You obviously know nothing about Poland. Poland have a great contribution(s) in comparison to shithole like Albania. Copernicus, the first astronomer to formulate a scientifically-based heliocentric cosmology that displaced the Earth from the center of the universe
Maria Skłodowska- Curie, the first woman to be awarded a Nobel prize twice for discovering radium and polonium
Frederick Chopin, one of the greatest composers
Joseph Condrad, a Polish thought to be one of the greatest English novelists
Poland was also the first European country to have their own constitution in 1791
The Solidarity movement with its leader Lech Walesa largely contributed to the fall of communism in Europe (recently it’s been 25 years since Walesa was awarded with the Nobel Prize for Peace)
Pope John Paul II was also Polish
Battle Of Warsaw (1920) which is believed to have stopped the Bolshevik march into Western Europe.

What Albania has achieved? Nothing.
hahhhh I think Nicolaus Copernicus is german from Prussia, ahh im sorry
only few that you mentioned are polish, anyway I see you very inferior to germans and russians even you are a big nation, Germany occupied Poland like nothing, and treated you very low..
Albanians have 2 nobelists: Mother Theresa and Ferid Murat and the third one will be Ismail Kadare also we had a Pope Clementi-Albani.

the polish compositor which I like is Zbegiew Preisner, probably you dont even know him bcs your culture and education is not in that level.

Madonna
11-14-2012, 06:04 PM
Zbigniew Preisner is very popular here he was best friend with Krzysztof Kieslowski and made all music to his movies !!! what are you talking about ?

Corvus
11-14-2012, 06:10 PM
The Czech Republic is Slavic to the core,
they just have an assimilated German minority

So to answer the question - Eastern

Aura
11-14-2012, 06:11 PM
@jusia9 I dont know how famous is there, I just know that I like his music very much and my post was related only to xtraxavier who really showed low behavior even with a girl and I dont understand why he got offended by my post, I dint sayed nothing bad about Poland, obviously very complexed.

Hevo
11-14-2012, 06:13 PM
Czechs are central-europeans with a slavic language. Correct me if i am not right, but i heard that people from Moravia look more slavic in general than people from Bohemia is that true? And Aura, go troll somewhere else. ''Germany occupied Poland like nothing.''Oh god... :picard2:

Madonna
11-14-2012, 06:14 PM
@Aura he is popular very popular believe me ... we have many popular Poles around the world we know it but not all foreigners are aware they are Poles , and believe me our system of education is one of the most difficult in whole Europe. I do understand you felt offended by what we wrote by no need to insult me.

Corvus
11-14-2012, 06:16 PM
Czechs are eastern-europeans with a slavic language. Correct me if i am not right, but i heard that people from Moravia look more slavic in general than people from Bohemia is that true? And Aura, go troll somewhere else. ''Germany occupied Poland like nothing.''Oh god... :picard2:

No the Bohemians - the Český are the real original Czechs. Moravians are a mix of Czechs and Slovaks

Mans not hot
11-14-2012, 06:18 PM
hahhhh I think Nicolaus Copernicus is german from Prussia, ahh im sorry
only few that you mentioned are polish, anyway I see you very inferior to germans and russians even you are a big nation, Germany occupied Poland like nothing, and treated you very low..
Albanians have 2 nobelists: Mother Theresa and Ferid Murat and the third one will be Ismail Kadare also we had a Pope Clementi-Albani.

the polish compositor which I like is Zbegiew Preisner, probably you dont even know him bcs your culture and education is not in that level.

^Your post show us how utterly dumb you are. Look like the standard of education in Albania isn't that good.

Ayazid
11-14-2012, 06:19 PM
This is how traditional Czech music mostly sounds (except the border region with Slovakia, where it is more Slovak/Hungarian influenced):

hULIE_5KzVs

jWhNgxuddB4

I think that the German influences are obvious.:)

morski
11-14-2012, 06:19 PM
Neither. Central.

Corvus
11-14-2012, 06:26 PM
@ Ayazid could you elaborate the German influence please. I cannot recognise it.

Madonna
11-14-2012, 06:26 PM
biustonosz - cyckowa wygoda
majtki damskie - :cenzura:owa przeszkoda
dziewczyna podniecona - "vyrajcowana"
dupa - "biskup"
napis nad sklepem z wyrobami skórzanymi - "kutasy"
dziewczyna – divka

Su
11-14-2012, 06:31 PM
For the sake of the statistics, VOTE please :clap:

Mans not hot
11-14-2012, 06:32 PM
For the sake of the statistics, VOTE please :clap:
You forgot to put Central on the poll, otherwise I'd vote for it.

Madonna
11-14-2012, 06:32 PM
I love Czech Republic and people they are wonderfull I could live in Praha the best beer ever the most beautiful European city :)

Aura
11-14-2012, 06:34 PM
^Your post show us how utterly dumb you are. Look like the standard of education in Albania isn't that good.

And you have lack of family education which is far more important that the first one, I didn't know that polish guys are like you..

Corvus
11-14-2012, 06:34 PM
I love Czech Republic and people they are wonderfull I could live in Praha the best beer ever the most beautiful European city :)

Totally agree - the best town with a population of more than 1Mio people in Europe by a big margin. Magnificent architecture and style

Vesuvian Sky
11-14-2012, 06:35 PM
Tough question actually. Czechs are certainly the most western of Slavs both geographically and culturally but its tough to say they are distinctly eastern vs. western. A unique type, maybe central works.

Madonna
11-14-2012, 06:37 PM
Totally agree - the best town with a population of more than 1Mio people in Europe by a big margin. Magnificent architecture and style
Im seriously in love I could die in Praha , althought it is aa big city you can still feel there like in a small town

Im soo happy Im going there is wonderful place

Aura
11-14-2012, 06:38 PM
Im seriously in love I could die in Praha , althought it is aa big city you can still feel there like in a small town

Im soo happy Im going there is wonderful place

I hope to go there for new year :)

Albion
11-14-2012, 06:39 PM
Czechia, Poland and Slovakia are some of the better Slavic countries. They were rather Western until the artificial division of Europe after WWII and are integrating back into the West again. They're good countries which have been held back by Communism.

Czechia formed a part of the Holy Roman Empire for much of its history and has always been geopolitically linked in with Germans. Much of its culture seems similar to Bavarian and Austrian, I don't think they have much in common with places like Russia or Bulgaria apart from Slavic languages.
The major cultures of Europe have influenced each other and been affected by regional circumstances. I suppose the Germanic influence on Czechia and Slavic influence on Eastern Germany mirrors the Germanic influence on Ireland and the Celtic influence on England. These countries have all been influenced by neighbouring countries of a different "meta-ethnicity" and regional traits by their proximity to each other.

Corvus
11-14-2012, 06:41 PM
Czechia, Poland and Slovakia are some of the better Slavic countries. They were rather Western until the artificial division of Europe after WWII and are integrating back into the West again. They're good countries which have been held back by Communism.

Czechia formed a part of the Holy Roman Empire for much of its history and has always been geopolitically linked in with Germans. Much of its culture seems similar to Bavarian and Austrian, I don't think they have much in common with places like Russia or Bulgaria apart from Slavic languages.
The major cultures of Europe have influenced each other and been affected by regional circumstances. I suppose the Germanic influence on Czechia and Slavic influence on Eastern Germany mirrors the Germanic influence on Ireland and the Celtic influence on England. These countries have all been influenced by neighbouring countries of a different "meta-ethnicity" and regional traits by their proximity to each other.

In my opinion the Austrians are more influenced by the Czechs in terms of culture, mentality and phenotype than vice versa.
Esp. the Eastern part of the country.

Legion
11-14-2012, 06:48 PM
If we follow this logic of Czechs being Slavicized Germans, then we can just as easily say that Germans are Germanized Slavs :confused:

Notice how no German will identify as a Slav, but westernmost Slavs will identify as Germanic since it's "cool".

Nurzat
11-14-2012, 06:50 PM
czechs are the most western-like easterners. but if you visit other places than praha you see it's still an eastern country. however, probably the best eastern one.

we're used to divide europe differently here, as in: west, north, east, central europe, balkans and mediterranean (to which we include greece too, not to balkans that is). so i'd say czech rep is central european above all

ficuscarica
11-14-2012, 06:50 PM
Is Praha really that beautiful? Maybe I should visit it one day.

Corvus
11-14-2012, 06:51 PM
If we follow this logic of Czechs being Slavicized Germans, then we can just as easily say that Germans are Germanized Slavs :confused:

Notice how no German will identify as a Slav, but westernmost Slavs will identify as Germanic since it's "cool".

Yeah that`s true. In Austria even the people with names like
Novotny, Janda, Prohaska or Pospisil would feel offended if you call them Slavic.
In most cases they would feel ÜberGerman :p

Albion
11-14-2012, 06:52 PM

Well the two overlap in Eastern Germany, Poland, Czechia and Austria because the boundaries between the two shifted so much and there was a lot of assimilation.

Madonna
11-14-2012, 06:54 PM

it is really believe me the most beautiful to me

and Ive been almost everywhere in Europe + Turkey :)

you should you really should !!!

Incal
11-14-2012, 06:54 PM
Even today, many Czechs have German surnames, even if there is nothing German about them or their recent ancestry.

The finest example:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090625203055/backofthenet/images/6/62/Jan_koller.jpg

:D

Corvus
11-14-2012, 06:55 PM

Yes it is definitly worth a visit. It has also much to offer in terms of sights and history

Madonna
11-14-2012, 06:56 PM
Well the two overlap in Eastern Germany, Poland, Czechia and Austria because the boundaries between the two shifted so much and there was a lot of assimilation.

you are right
everyone had an impact on each

look on east germans how do they look like

Barbarossa
11-14-2012, 06:58 PM
I choose western Europe, despite it can be dubious at best. For this I choose more reasons. Firstly, it is well known that Czech kingdom was in middle ages firmly part of sphere of Holy Roman Empire. Let us only remember about Ottokar Premysel politics in other parts of empire, his relationship with house of Spanheim. And also for example Vaclav or Wenceslau von Luxemburg who was king of Bohemia etc. Prague was also for some time capital of Holy Roman Empire and it's university was founded in 1348 was founded by the same Vaclav, but it taken his royal name and this is Charles IV, Holy Roman Emperor. Another reason for this is that Czech territory was always part of western and not eastern Christianity.

Now let's go further. Like I written before in some other threads, Eastern Europe in nowadays sense is firmly legacy of Communism and iron curtain. In this case Czech republic is part of eastern Europe since legacy of socialism it not completely vanish and even after transition some elements are left. If not anything else, ex-communist countries without any doubt have developed similarities since they have all been under similar regimes.

Ideal term would be of course central Europe and I will say several things why. Firstly, I need to underline the fact that I don't agree with Rusty that central Europe is a concept of those who are ashamed of being eastern European. It was firstly part of mittleuropa concept of German military plans, but it has been also many times revisited for example by Oscar Jaszi, despite he used the term Danube Europe, but in his mind was the same territory. Regarding the question about which countries are a part of eastern Europe and how can we define it they are several variations of which some I will describe:

1) Countries which used to be a part of Habsburg empire
2) Countries which were connected with Holy Roman Empire
3) Eastern countries which are part of western Christianity

In my opinion all three concepts are true and they are connected with each other. Firstly, because Habsburg empire was heir of Holy Roman Empire, of which Habsburgs were last dynasty. Secondly, Holy Roman Empire did many times expand on the east, for example Teutonic knights and their ''crusades'' in Poland, struggles for getting crowns of Hungary and Bohemians, diplomatic missions of Maximilian I. And Charles V. to Poland and even Russia, connection of nobility of Hungary and some Austrians lands were even with nobility from Bosnia and Serbia, for example Ulrich from house of counts of Cilli was married with daughter of Serbian despot and so on. So here like I also said already borders aren't neither clear and strict.

However I still think that countries in centre in the east of Europe which were part of western and central European cultural sphere cannot be place in the same line with orthodox countries which have had other influences and diplomatic contacts of them with west was not very common. Czech is in that part clearly not eastern Europe , even Poland and Baltic countries can be debatable. However there was still large Russian influence and long presence.

For the end I would say that all of you shall read the book Inventing eastern Europe by Larry Wolff which is written by serious academic and is very insightful.

Corvus
11-14-2012, 07:02 PM
That's true. There used to be a very big German community here before the WW2. Actually, there were more Germans than Slovaks in Czechoslovakia.:rolleyes: Even today, many Czechs have German surnames, even if there is nothing German about them or their recent ancestry.

We are kind of Slavic speaking Austro/Germans (even if some people here wouldn't acknowledge that), perhaps a bit like Slovenians.

Before the second world war there was a huge German speaking minority in Bohemia and Moravia - the so called "Sudetendeutsche" But due to the Beneš-Dekrete they had to leave the Czech Republic and their belongings were confiscated. It was a retribution act.
As a result most Germans left the Czech Republic but those Germans who pledged their alliance to the new Czechoslovakian state received the permission to stay but they had to abolish the use of the German language and traditions but were allowed to keep their German name.

This is the Sudetendeutschen flag:

http://www.karaus.de/images/sudetenwappen_index.jpg

Black Sun Dimension
11-14-2012, 07:03 PM
I say westerner because they were part of the Holy Roman Empire for most of its history and 50 years of communism doesnt change a goddamn thing. Whoever say's there are easterners is moron. Just because they are Slavs doesnt mean they are automatically eastern european in culture, that's buffoonish.

Legion
11-14-2012, 07:07 PM
A continuum makes more sense than simple black & white East-West categories, we can agree to that.

Midori
11-14-2012, 07:12 PM

They are ashamed of who they are. Pathetic if you ask me.

Ayazid
11-14-2012, 07:34 PM
No the Bohemians - the Český are the real original Czechs. Moravians are a mix of Czechs and Slovaks

I think that during the 10th century, when the Czech kingdom was created, both Bohemians, Moravians and Slovaks were basically the same West Slavic ethnic group with hardly any differences.

Mans not hot
11-14-2012, 07:37 PM
Just because they are Slavs doesnt mean they are automatically eastern european in culture, that's buffoonish.
Heh, tell it to Karl. :rolleyes:

Corvus
11-14-2012, 07:39 PM
I think that during the 10th century, when the Czech kingdom was created, both Bohemians, Moravians and Slovaks were basically the same West Slavic ethnic group with hardly any differences.

They were, but later in history they split apart. But they are still very closely related, doubtless.

Ayazid
11-14-2012, 07:39 PM

Nobody here identifies as Germanic. Actually, some people here could be even upset if you said them that they are Slavic speaking Germans. Slovaks are considered to be our real "brothers", because of the very close language. If Austrians spoke a (West) Slavic language, it would be different.

Corvus
11-14-2012, 07:43 PM
Nobody here identifies as Germanic. Actually, some people here could be even upset if you said them that they are Slavic speaking Germans. Slovaks are considered to be our real "brothers", because of the very close language. If Austrians spoke a (West) Slavic language, it would be different.

So do you agree with me that Austrians are very similar to Czechs apart from the language.

Mans not hot
11-14-2012, 07:46 PM
They are ashamed of who they are. Pathetic if you ask me.
I hope Ayazid's not one of them. :rolleyes:

jerney
11-14-2012, 07:46 PM
Bit of both. I wouldn't call it western or eastern though. Central is a better fit.

Ayazid
11-14-2012, 07:51 PM
[/B]

So do you agree with me that Austrians are very similar to Czechs apart from the language.

Sure, they are. :)

Anusiya
11-14-2012, 07:59 PM
German assimilation policy hits red it seems. Slavs identifying as Germans is pathetic indeed, but then again they never got along.

Ayazid
11-14-2012, 08:15 PM
I hope Ayazid's not one of them. :rolleyes:

I have some German ancestry, but it goes back to the cca 17th century, so the answer is no. :p

Rouxinol
11-14-2012, 08:16 PM
Culturally and ethnically mostly eastern rather than central, let alone western.

Mans not hot
11-14-2012, 08:17 PM
Culturally and ethnically mostly eastern rather than central, let alone western.
Wtf?

Äike
11-15-2012, 06:39 PM
Wtf?

Slavs = Eastern(-European), this is who you are, live with it.

Emperior
11-15-2012, 06:48 PM

Says the Balto-Slavic Eastern European.

Albion
11-15-2012, 06:50 PM

Oh my god! You've just started the "we're not Balts" argument with Karl! :eek:

sevruk
11-15-2012, 06:53 PM
West

Emperior
11-15-2012, 06:55 PM
They are more western than Estonians,for sure.

morski
11-15-2012, 07:02 PM

Estonia = Baltic country. Live with it.

Mans not hot
11-15-2012, 07:51 PM
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh74/MissKayasha/Smileys/1j2q1i.gif

Äike
11-15-2012, 08:09 PM

lol, Estonians aren't Baltic nor Slavic. Nor are they Eastern-European. Estonians are native Northern-European Finnic people with a Lutheran(Nordic) background. Ethnically and culturally Estonia is Northern-European and Western.

Slavs on the other hand are the definition of Eastern-European.

They are more western than Estonians,for sure.

lulz. Their semi-Russian flag and semi-Russian names and Russian accent are so Western.

Estonia = Baltic country. Live with it.

Estonians aren't Balts, but Finnic people, kin to the Finns. Estonia is a Finnic country.

morski
11-15-2012, 08:11 PM
Estonians aren't Balts, but Finnic people, kin to the Finns.

I'm aware of that particular fact, which does not change the other one - Estonia is a Baltic country.;)

There are no Finnic countries. There is Finland which is a Scandinavian country and there are also the Baltic countries, former Soviet republics.

arcticwolf
11-15-2012, 08:16 PM
Zepsuty - Poruhany

LOL What the heck, double LOL :D:thumb001:

arcticwolf
11-15-2012, 08:19 PM
Wtf?

Just take it on the face value, Americans are experts! :laugh:

Emperior
11-15-2012, 08:21 PM
Ethnically and culturally Estonia is Northern-European and Western.

Nope it is Eastern European Balto-Slavic,former Soviet country.
Czech republic is miles more western than Estonia,both geographically and in culture/metntality.

arcticwolf
11-15-2012, 08:22 PM

Estonia = Confused Slavo/Balts. Live with it.

Mans not hot
11-15-2012, 08:28 PM
Just take it on the face value, Americans are experts! :laugh:
Actually, Labrador is Portuguese, but don't worry, Western Europeans have been brainwashed by America too. :D

esaima
11-15-2012, 08:28 PM
Well, although Slavs, imo Czechs have no Russian culture but a culture of their own, influenced from German culture.From the Russian point of view they are western, for Brits they are eastern,tahts quite logical. Overall, for me the word eastern is not pejorative, but just neutral.

Mans not hot
11-15-2012, 08:39 PM

Dombra
11-15-2012, 08:48 PM
Central. Feels more western compared to the other central slavic counties also.

Mary
11-15-2012, 08:58 PM
Mong people that belong to the Western sphere. Like Hungarians and Finns.

Äike
11-16-2012, 08:55 AM
I'm aware of that particular fact, which does not change the other one - Estonia is a Baltic country.;)

There are no Finnic countries. There is Finland which is a Scandinavian country and there are also the Baltic countries, former Soviet republics.

There are no Finnic countries sounds as dumb as saying that there are no Slavic countries. Estonia and Finland are Finnic countries, as they're inhabited by Finnic people, while Latvia is a Baltic country as it is inhabited by Balts, Ukraine is a Slavic country as it is inhabited by Slavs etc.

Also, Scandinavian is an ethnic term and Finns aren't Scandinavian.

Nope it is Eastern European Balto-Slavic,former Soviet country.
Czech republic is miles more western than Estonia,both geographically and in culture/metntality.

lol, that's far from the reality.

Estonia = Confused Slavo/Balts. Live with it.

articwolf = high-school drop-out

Corvus
11-16-2012, 09:17 AM
Mong people that belong to the Western sphere. Like Hungarians and Finns.

Many Czechs are strongly Mongolian influcenced, that`s true. But too call them Mongs is a bit of an exaggeration.

Mans not hot
11-16-2012, 09:39 AM
Many Czechs are strongly Mongolian influcenced, that`s true. But too call them Mongs is a bit of an exaggeration.
Oh my god, are you serious?

Corvus
11-16-2012, 09:49 AM
Oh my god, are you serious?

Yes I am serious. You cannot say that Czechs are Mongs.
Mary`s post is a troll attempt.

morski
11-16-2012, 12:20 PM
There are no Finnic countries sounds as dumb as saying that there are no Slavic countries. Estonia and Finland are Finnic countries, as they're inhabited by Finnic people, while Latvia is a Baltic country as it is inhabited by Balts, Ukraine is a Slavic country as it is inhabited by Slavs etc.

Also, Scandinavian is an ethnic term and Finns aren't Scandinavian.

lol, that's far from the reality.

articwolf = high-school drop-out

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e8/Baltic_states.svg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltic_states

I find your stubbornness completely ridiculous. The whole world groups Estonia together with Latvia and Lithuania and calls the three The Baltic States.:rolleyes:

Anyway, cheers!

X77CUkFXXyI

Incal
11-16-2012, 12:53 PM

I wouldn't say MANY nor STRONGLY but everybody's entitled to their own opinion.

Corvus
11-16-2012, 12:55 PM
I wouldn't say MANY nor STRONGLY but everybody's entitled to their own opinion.

That`s the way it is. I am Mongoloid and proud and so are many others

Mans not hot
11-16-2012, 12:58 PM
9bZkp7q19f0

Incal
11-16-2012, 01:25 PM
That`s the way it is. I am Mongoloid and proud and so are many others

Well Hungary is a dif. matter...

Damiăo de Góis
11-17-2012, 02:25 AM
They are mostly R1a, so eastern :p

https://lombardism.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/haplogroups.png

RussiaPrussia
11-17-2012, 04:02 AM

uralic = ural => asia

deal with it

Corvus
11-17-2012, 09:53 AM
They are mostly R1a, so eastern :p

https://lombardism.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/haplogroups.png

This map is the ultimative proof that we Eastern Europeans are connected by a strong common bound, despite the different languages and light cultural differences.

Äike
11-18-2012, 12:02 PM
uralic = ural => asia

deal with it

Indo = India => South-Asia

deal with it.

Dacul
11-18-2012, 12:04 PM
R1a1a is not "eastern" is north-eastern.
Because norwegian vikings were mostly some R1A1a branch also.
Also,baltic people are another R1A1a branch also.
R1A1a is european,does not have anything to do with Asia.

Mans not hot
11-18-2012, 12:33 PM
Indo = India => South-Asia

deal with it.
Estonia = Finnicised Balts

Deal with it.

Äike
11-18-2012, 12:34 PM
Estonia = Finnicised Balts

Deal with it.

You dropped out of high school and lack basic knowledge in European history.

Deal with it.

Mans not hot
11-18-2012, 12:35 PM
You dropped out of high school and lack basic knowledge in European history.

Deal with it.
Stop torlling me.

Äike
11-18-2012, 12:38 PM
Stop torlling me.

lol, you're the troll. I'm trolling you in a parallel universe.

Mans not hot
11-18-2012, 12:42 PM
lol, you're the troll. I'm trolling you in a parallel universe.
Right. That's it. I'm going to report you. :mad:

Windischer
01-01-2013, 11:29 PM
Czechs having Russian accent is like Indian spaceship landing on Venus :D
:picard1: :picard1:

Czech accent is stably located on 1st syllable. Intonation is often similar to German.
Russian accent is totally different (I think its not even stable...). And Russian intonation makes the language almost unintelligible to Czechs (and to me too).

As an Eastern Slavic person born in Czechoslovakia I say Czechs are Central European. Both culturally and geographically.

Äike
01-02-2013, 11:07 PM
Czechs having Russian accent is like Indian spaceship landing on Venus :D
:picard1: :picard1:

Czech accent is stably located on 1st syllable. Intonation is often similar to German.
Russian accent is totally different (I think its not even stable...). And Russian intonation makes the language almost unintelligible to Czechs (and to me too).

As an Eastern Slavic person born in Czechoslovakia I say Czechs are Central European. Both culturally and geographically.

My 100% ethnic Russian coworker named Dmitri thought that the people who he talked to in English, were Russians, because of their accent. Heck, I don't speak Russian, I couldn't differentiate between accents that well, but Dmitri is an ethnic Russian.

I'll bring you an example, Finns & Estonians have the same accent in English, as our languages are so similar.

Windischer
01-02-2013, 11:16 PM
I respect feelings and impressions of Mr. Dmitri, maybe he just mistaken term accent for pronunciation (happens), however Czech is one of my native languages, so I am quite sure about what I know on this matter.

Äike
01-02-2013, 11:21 PM
I respect feelings and impressions of Mr. Dmitri, maybe he just mistaken term accent for pronunciation (happens), however Czech is one of my native languages, so I am quite sure about what I know on this matter.

but Russian isn't, thus your ignorance. I as an Estonian always recognize an Estonian accent in English. Same goes for Russians with Russian accent, Swedes with swedish accent, Germans with German accent etc.

The Czech are Eastern-European Slavs, also the Slavic languages did split quite "recently", thus the big similarities aren't that surprising.

Legion
01-02-2013, 11:25 PM
Going by east-west mindset, I would place Czech Republic in the same category as Slovenia or Estonia. Eastern with strong western influences, or vice versa.

Äike
01-02-2013, 11:32 PM
Going by east-west mindset, I would place Estonia in the same category as Slovenia or Estonia. Eastern with strong western influences, or vice versa.

lol. The Slovenes are Slavs who are Catholic. They're Eastern-Europeans, you can't even compare them to us.

Also, what "Eastern influences" could us, the Estonians, have? I know about none, except the food.

What is more Northern-European than a historically Lutheran Finnic population. And Estonia has been part of the West since 1227. The border between the West and the East has been on the Narva river for the last 800 years.

2 forts overlooking each other, one representing the West, for almost a thousand years, the other representing the East http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fb/Narva_River_in_Narva,_2011-07.jpg

Please abide from making further ignorant statements, like comparing someone like the Estonians with some random Slavs.

Legion
01-02-2013, 11:35 PM
lol. The Slovenes are Slavs who are Catholic. They're Eastern-Europeans, you can't even compare them to us.

Also, what "Eastern influences" could us, the Estonians, have? I know about none, except the food.

What is more Northern-European than a historically Lutheran Finnic population. And Estonia has been part of the West since 1227. The border between the West and the East has been on the Narva river for the last 800 years.

Please abide from making further ignorant statements, like comparing someone like the Estonians with some random Slavs.

How about Czechs then? They are not less western than Estonia. Both Czech Republic and Estonia are considerably western, and both were part of Eastern Bloc.

Windischer
01-02-2013, 11:37 PM
but Russian isn't, thus your ignorance

Your must be double, then? As you have no idea about either of those languages, apparently. I really wont comment your remarks about "semi-russian surnames" and other things you wrote. I see you have a strong urge to force your "nordic Estonians" and "Eastern European XYZ" thing almost everywhere, can you please ventilate it somewhere else? Because Im not willing to discuss with you in this thread anymore. kthxbye

Legion, this thread isnt about Estonia or Slovenia.

Legion
01-02-2013, 11:40 PM
Sorry, typing on this OS was problematic. I meant to put Czech Republic not Estonia as the first country in my post

Äike
01-02-2013, 11:48 PM
How about Czechs then? They are not less western than Estonia. Both Czech Republic and Estonia are considerably western, and both were part of Eastern Bloc.

The Czech are Slavs, period. Being Slavic is like the main trait of Eastern-Europeaness.

Your must be double, then? As you have no idea about either of those languages, apparently. I really wont comment your remarks about "semi-russian surnames" and other things you wrote. I see you have a strong urge to force your "nordic Estonians" and "Eastern European XYZ" thing almost everywhere, can you please ventilate it somewhere else? Because Im not willing to discuss with you in this thread anymore. kthxbye

Legion, this thread isnt about Estonia or Slovenia.

An ethnic Russian confused a Czech accent for a Russian one, not me. They also looked Russian/Eastern-European.

Mans not hot
01-02-2013, 11:49 PM
Karl is always infected the forum with his bullshit, nothing new.

Äike
01-02-2013, 11:51 PM

I'm sorry, but I stated my opinion in this thread, that the Czech are just Slavic eastern-europeans, but some people were so offended by being reminded of their Slavic heritage that they started a shitstorm, thus I replied to them. This is not my fault.

Legion
01-02-2013, 11:52 PM
The Czech are Slavs, period. Being Slavic is like the main trait of Eastern-Europeaness.

I don't see it that way. Czechs share similarities with their western German/Austrian neighbors.

Äike
01-02-2013, 11:54 PM
I don't see it that way. Czechs share similarities with their western German/Austrian neighbors.

Yes they do, but their core essence is Slavic/Eastern-European.

Legion
01-03-2013, 12:00 AM
This is probably not the best comparison, but for linguistic affinity: Romance languages are spoken mainly in western Europe, and Romance speaking Romania is clearly Eastern European.

Äike
01-03-2013, 12:03 AM
This is probably not the best comparison, but for linguistic affinity: Romance languages are spoken mainly in western Europe, and Romance speaking Romania is clearly Eastern European.

Romania is an exception, but it's in the heart of Eastern-Europe

ALL
01-03-2013, 12:15 AM

My 23andme list is populated with, Germans/Russians/Poles/Ukrainians, I'm going to send him an invite to see where he clusters.:thumb001:

Leliana
01-03-2013, 01:01 AM
Uhm, I don't know how many of you have first-hand experience with the Czech nation, but I have and crossing the border from Germany/Austria to Czech Republic IS always a difference in culture and people. :rolleyes: I don't know how East Slavs feel when in Czech Republic but as a German it feels 'Eastern'. The language, the culture and the people who have a more 'grumpy' face expression on the streets are different but not necessarily worse of course. It's true that some architecture and town cores looks certainly Central European but that are just the remnants of the old Bohemian and Sudeten-German population. These people are gone! Just because some houses and buildings look similar to German or Austrian buildings it doesn't justify the argument that Czech Republic is Western.

That's how most Czech villages look like:

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumblarge_548/1287222988fEe91s.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/de/thumb/f/fa/OrtstafelTschechienA.jpg/800px-OrtstafelTschechienA.jpg

The Czech as people are very diverse. Some look like Germanized Slavs or very Central European, some look like typical Slavs and then there are people who have small eyes give me a Central Asian/Lappid vibe. And I'm not talking about the loads of gypsies here.

ALL
01-03-2013, 01:12 AM
Please share and don't be afraid.

Windischer
01-03-2013, 01:35 AM
Of course you get a different feeling, youre entering a different region practically surrounded by hills from all sides.

Leliana
01-03-2013, 01:38 AM
I also invite you to share your genetic with me, you are German?
'Share my genetics'? :icon_eek: Uhm no, I don't want to have sexual intercourse with you. :rolleyes:

23andme account "Katowice" you can win me, my family comes from this region we have all the negative gypsy features, I want to see your genetics:thumb001:
I should take a genetic test just for you? :picard2: I'm not from Eastern or Northern Germany but Bavaria and Upper Austria.
You misunderstood my post: I haven't insulted Czech people, they are okay. But they aren't Western. They are Eastern European with Western influences.

ALL
01-03-2013, 01:52 AM
Uhm no, I don't want to have sexual intercourse with you. :rolleyes:

I should take a genetic test just for you? :picard2: I'm not from Eastern or Northern Germany but Bavaria and Upper Austria.
You misunderstood my post: I haven't insulted Czech people, they are okay. But they aren't Western.

Why do you get so easily offended and use vulgar and offensive language?

Midori
01-03-2013, 02:02 AM

So, are Hungarians Eastern Europeans according to you?

Windischer
01-03-2013, 10:45 AM
Could you please refrain from offtopic? Or bring it somewhere else.

Incel King
01-03-2013, 10:48 AM
They're Central European country.

Corvus
01-03-2013, 10:54 AM
Uhm, I don't know how many of you have first-hand experience with the Czech nation, but I have and crossing the border from Germany/Austria to Czech Republic IS always a difference in culture and people. :rolleyes: I don't know how East Slavs feel when in Czech Republic but as a German it feels 'Eastern'. The language, the culture and the people who have a more 'grumpy' face expression on the streets are different but not necessarily worse of course. It's true that some architecture and town cores looks certainly Central European but that are just the remnants of the old Bohemian and Sudeten-German population. These people are gone! Just because some houses and buildings look similar to German or Austrian buildings it doesn't justify the argument that Czech Republic is Western.

That's how most Czech villages look like:

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumblarge_548/1287222988fEe91s.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/de/thumb/f/fa/OrtstafelTschechienA.jpg/800px-OrtstafelTschechienA.jpg

The Czech as people are very diverse. Some look like Germanized Slavs or very Central European, some look like typical Slavs and then there are people who have small eyes give me a Central Asian/Lappid vibe. And I'm not talking about the loads of gypsies here.

You are absolutly right, I cross the border on a regular interval and you can notice differences. So I never understand when someone on TA claims Czechs are mainly Germanic. It is fair to say that Eastern Austrians have some Slavic influence, but Czechs are core Slavic if you ask me, both in culture and phenotype. Even Czechs with German names and ancestry look Slavic to me in most cases.

Mans not hot
01-03-2013, 10:57 AM
You are absolutly right, I cross the border on a regular interval and you can notice differences. So I never understand when someone on TA claims Czechs are mainly Germanic. It is fair to say that Eastern Austrians have some Slavic influence, but Czechs are core Slavic if you ask me, both in culture and phenotype. Even Czechs with German names and ancestry look Slavic to me in most cases.
Not really.

Corvus
01-03-2013, 11:06 AM
Not really.

Maybe not from a Polish perspective but from an Austrian/German point of view they are

Mans not hot
01-03-2013, 11:08 AM
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..

Mans not hot
01-03-2013, 11:09 AM
Maybe not from a Polish perspective but from an Austrian/German point of view they are
http://theapricity.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1240854&postcount=26

The average Czech look less Slavic/Eastern Europe.

ALL
01-03-2013, 01:11 PM

Corvus
01-03-2013, 01:23 PM
This is the problem with famous eyeball anthropologists from Austria with E ydna , and other genetics that are non european in origin,judging someone from former Boii[AKA Czech] lands as Eastern. There is a reason why some do not share there genetic history, and emphasize their own phenotype as the typical, because they are Non-European most likely. So of course they are scared maybe they have some gypsy. Or they have mixed ancestry like Werner Goldberg poster child for German Army who's phenotype was regarded as Germanic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werner_Goldberg

On the outside the package looks great! But what a surprise when, inside is revealed. :picard2:

What kind of argumentation is this :confused:

Fact is: The Celtic Boii inhabited today`s Czech territory but migrated to Bavaria in the 5th century where they spread all over Austria between the 6th and 8th century.
They were replaced by Slavs.
The Czech population don`t want to be viewed as German of Austrian. They have a clear self perception and it is Slavic. Genetically they are overwhelmingly R1a like many Eastern Austrians as well.
Still there are some differences. Maybe it is more adequate to define it as habitus instead of phenotype.

ALL
01-03-2013, 02:09 PM
What kind of argumentation is this :confused:

Fact is: The Celtic Boii inhabited today`s Czech territory but migrated to Bavaria in the 5th century where they spread all over Austria between the 6th and 8th century.
They were replaced by Slavs.
The Czech population don`t want to be viewed as German of Austrian. They have a clear self perception and it is Slavic. Genetically they are overwhelmingly R1a like many Eastern Austrians as well.
Still there are some differences. Maybe it is more adequate to define it as habitus instead of phenotype.

I put the invitation out to you too :thumb001:

Windischer
01-03-2013, 02:25 PM
:eek:
I see you have gone mad from all that r1a r1b ydna zbd5sdf5sdf
:picard1:

Corvus
01-03-2013, 02:25 PM
I put the invitation out to you too :thumb001: I can see that many people here do not like to reveal there true ancestry defined by snp/str/ or blood type; that is okay. Don't take it personal I would just like to know more about the people I'm sharing past and present history with in terms of genetics and historical events. My paternal side comes from the area close to the Czech border, a zone contested by Germanic,Slavic, also inhabited by Celts[Boi]. Putting modern day labels such as Czech /German/ Polish /Austrian/Silesian does not do any justice to past migrations or admixture of our ancestors.If one wants to identify with alright, but IMO does not give a accurate ancestry. As you are already aware R1a is brother clade of R1b, so one can proudly beat his chest and say Slavic and one can say Germanic, however in my opinion this creates a divide, just like this thread saying that Czechs phenotype is different from Austrians, when in fact if you go back in history they have the same paternal forefather [R1a and R1b]. They are in fact closer to each other than they are to ydna E for example; which as you are aware was carried by another famous Austrian midget with a foul temper and a supposed skill for eyeballing genetics.

I have not submitted my self a genetic DNA test until now, but I can tell you that my mother is of Czech descendance with Sudetendeutscher ancestry and my father is from the south of Austria.
I am also Blood group A+ (the blood we share according to your quote)

But more important is the fact that I live next to the border of Austria and the Czech republic and that I am very well acquainted with the Czech culture and I have even basic knowledge of the language.

Needless to mention that I know even more about Austrian culture and people and so I am qualified to draw comparisions

ALL
01-03-2013, 02:38 PM

ALL
01-03-2013, 02:40 PM

Corvus
01-03-2013, 02:43 PM
:)

I don't care what they call themselves or label as long as they come together and help each other.

It is time the R1a+R1b clan put aside differences and work together.:thumb001:

Thats true. We should get rid of the animosities and collaborate :)

Äike
01-03-2013, 11:42 PM
Not really.

Also from a Northern-European perspective, the Czech look Slavic. Why should they be ashamed of their Slavic heritage?

Windischer
01-03-2013, 11:57 PM
I wrote ill not discuss with you anymore in this thread, but I cant hold myself breaking it:
WHY should be Czechs ashamed of being Slavic? Czechs know very well they are Slavic.

Äike
01-04-2013, 12:01 AM
I wrote ill not discuss with you anymore in this thread, but I cant hold myself breaking it:
WHY should be Czechs ashamed of being Slavic? Czechs know very well they are Slavic.

Then why do they get angry, when they are called Slavic/Eastern-European. I get an impression that they want to be "German, Western-Europeans".

Windischer
01-04-2013, 12:03 AM
Czechs dont get angry over being called Slavic. And they know they arent EE. Most people who know something about Czech culture and can compare it with genuine EE (Ukraine, eastern Poland, Russia etc) have the same opinion.

Incal
01-04-2013, 04:48 AM

They are and they know it but they have many Western elements or are the most westernized of all slavs.

Han Cholo
01-04-2013, 06:01 AM
They are and they know it but they have many Western elements or are the most westernized of all slavs.

This sums it up. I've heard the most common surname in Czech republic is Nemak which means "Deutsch/Mute person".

Windischer
01-04-2013, 10:00 AM
Congratulations Incal, you just discovered a new continent :D

Mans not hot
01-04-2013, 10:39 AM
Also from a Northern-European perspective, the Czech look Slavic. Why should they be ashamed of their Slavic heritage?
Jamaicans look English because they speak English language..

Hevo
01-04-2013, 10:43 AM
It's a central european country.

Mans not hot
01-04-2013, 10:49 AM
This sums it up. I've heard the most common surname in Czech republic is Nemak which means "Deutsch/Mute person".
Probably these people are either German tourists or have German roots. Its actually somewhat common among Czechs with German roots. At least, its depend whereas part of Czech republic.

Hochmeister
01-04-2013, 10:52 AM
The Czech are the only Slavic country which can be considered to be a part of the West (maybe Croatia too). Since the West is the former Carolingian Empire:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/80/Frankenreich_768-811.jpg/711px-Frankenreich_768-811.jpg

The lands of this Empire still sustain common mentality and culture.

Another map:
http://czechmeout.umwblogs.org/2011/01/23/files/2011/01/europe_map_czech_republic_prague.jpg

These morons confused the Czech flag with Yugoslavian/Dutch one. :picard2: This is the real Czech flag:

http://www.pokerbonus.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/czech-republic-flag_0.jpg

Hochmeister
01-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Czechs are Central European, not Eastern nor Western. End of.

Yes, this is the most reasonable answer.

Hochmeister
01-04-2013, 01:19 PM

Germany and Austria-Hungary considered themselves to be Central Europe, despising West (England and France).

Hochmeister
01-04-2013, 01:59 PM
Miejsce stałego zamieszkania - Trvale bydlisko

Bydlo - in Russian does mean "lowbrow".

"Być albo nie być - oto jest pytanie" - "Bytka abo ne bytka - to je zapytka"

LOl. :D:D:D

There are also very funny signboards on Praha's nightclubs and pubs: "Divki darom", it does mean in Russian: "You can get laid with all girls for free here", but in Czech it does mean: "female admission is free". :D

Windischer
01-04-2013, 02:01 PM
dívky zadarmo
dívky darem means "girls as a gift"

Corvus
01-04-2013, 02:03 PM

This is not entirely correct. It is either Nemec or Nemetz, which means German. This name exists in abundance in the Czech Republic and Austria.

Hochmeister
01-04-2013, 02:46 PM
Praga was German city till 18 century, so the german influence was very strong. Beside all of slavic elements they can pass in western...

The Czech even forgot their language and started restoring it, back in the late 19th century (they had spoken only German before the restoration).

The Solidarity movement with its leader Lech Walesa largely contributed to the fall of communism in Europe

It is a Polish myth. Nobody except Poles believe in it. Actually it was Gorbachev who destroyed the East bloc and the USSR.
I'm sure Karl praises Gorby's icon everyday. :bored:

It has stopped a possibility of Poland to be included into the Soviet Union. But nothing more than that.

dupa - "biskup"

Dupa - is "an ass" and "biskup" is "a bishop". Wtf? :eek::p

Hochmeister
01-04-2013, 02:50 PM
This is not entirely correct. It is either Nemec or Nemetz, which means German. This name exists in abundance in the Czech Republic and Austria.

Nemets (a mute one) is also in use there in Russian and Polish languages.

Windischer
01-04-2013, 04:35 PM
The Czech even forgot their language and started restoring it, back in the late 19th century (they had spoken only German before the restoration).

uhh lol? where did you get this from? :D

Hochmeister
01-04-2013, 04:50 PM
uhh lol? where did you get this from? :D

From a Czech online newspaper. The Czech from cities didn't speak Czech language, while Czechs in villages had a very poor vocabulary.

Windischer
01-04-2013, 04:54 PM
credibility falls to zero... czech people in towns did speak czech in private, and in public, too, long before late 19th century.
for example a panslavistic congress was held in prague in 1848.

Corvus
01-04-2013, 04:57 PM
From a Czech online newspaper. The Czech from cities didn't speak Czech language, while Czechs in villages had a very poor vocabulary.

The Czech language never disappeared or nearly extinguished. The only explanation is that in many villages near the Austrian or German border almost exclusivly Germans lived "Sudetendeutsche", but they were expelled or forced to pledge allegiance to the Czechoslovakian nation after WWII.

Hochmeister
01-04-2013, 05:10 PM
credibility falls to zero... czech people in towns did speak czech in private, and in public, too, long before late 19th century.
for example a panslavistic congress was held in prague in 1848.

There was a Czech movement to restore the language. The Czech writers of the 19th century didn't speak Czech and tried to master it.
Even soldat Schweik was written in German (and that is the 20th century already).

Hochmeister
01-04-2013, 05:17 PM
credibility falls to zero...

This is my source: http://www.radio.cz/ru/rubrika/razgovor/s-miru-po-nitke-kak-vozrozhdali-gibnushchij-cheshskij

Windischer
01-04-2013, 05:18 PM
Osudy dobrého vojáka Švejka za světové války
this was written in Czech, not German, are you mad? Part of humour in that book comes from funny and smart usage of language. Have you ever read that?

Where do you get those things from? Starting from "divki darom" to Švejk in German... :picard1:
edit: Czech writers did speak Czech...

Hochmeister
01-04-2013, 05:24 PM
Osudy dobrého vojáka Švejka za světové války
this was written in Czech, not German

It was written in a commercial banner dedicated about the publishing of the book, and propagated around Praha.
I have read the book. and I heart it was written in German, probably I'm wrong but it doesn't enable you to be rude to me.

Hochmeister
01-04-2013, 05:27 PM
edit: Czech writers did speak Czech...

Jan Neruda mastered Czhech language only in 18. Check the source I have given above.

Roy
01-04-2013, 05:34 PM
Czech language almost became extinct at the end of the nineteenth century due to strong germanization. It's actually quite close to what polish was (atleast phonetically) in late Middle Ages. Their language had to be reconstructed from old (XVI-XVII centuries) writings because even villagers abandoned it. But now everything is bohemized, starting from language to culture not to mention famous divadlo. And what about their culture? More western than eastern because of very early christianization and long influence from bordering germanic countries which left much bigger impact than other. But still they're for the most part central-europeans like Poles.

Oski Von Skadi
01-04-2013, 05:34 PM
Eastern.

Everything east of the germanic nations is eastern europe. Everything west of the germanic nations is celtic/latinized celtic/basque and should be considered western europe.

The germanics are smack-dab in the middle IMO.

Windischer
01-04-2013, 05:35 PM
I am not rude to you. I am correcting misinformation that you wrote.
Švejk was written in Czech.
Czech writers, intelligence and townsfolk did use Czech (despite being almost pushed out of administrative sphere by German).
If you know what was counterreformation and who were jesuits, you should also know that they used languages of common people in literature, drama etc. - including Czech.

And by the way, that is radio, not newspaper, and the articles credibility is somewhere around zero.

Hochmeister
01-04-2013, 05:36 PM
Czech language almost became extinct at the end of the nineteenth century due to strong germanization.

Thanks.
We, foreigners, know more about their own history :picard2:

Windischer
01-04-2013, 05:43 PM
I am not Czech.
And no, you dont know much about Czech history
you can read something here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Czech_language

Žołnir
01-04-2013, 06:07 PM
Czech was spoken in villages and towns all the time but in certain areas and towns German language predominated. :) Saying that it went almost extinct is huge extrageration and i am suprised i hear this from Polish person altho more logical would be it's man of Polish ancestry judging by his claim. :) If Czech was almost extinct by 19th century then Slovene was already extinct in same era. :D

Corvus
01-04-2013, 06:12 PM
Czech was spoken in villages and towns all the time but in certain areas and towns German language predominated. :) Saying that it went almost extinct is huge extrageration and i am suprised i hear this from Polish person altho more logical would be it's man of Polish ancestry judging by his claim. :) If Czech was almost extinct by 19th century then Slovene was already extinct in same era. :D

It is good you confirm what I have written :thumb001:
Austrian-Hungarian empire had an impact but it never went so far that the language was in danger. Prag had a huge German and Jewish population who spoke primarily German and in many Bohemian and Moravian villages German people lived but always side to side with Czechs.

Žołnir
01-04-2013, 11:46 PM
It is good you confirm what I have written :thumb001:
Austrian-Hungarian empire had an impact but it never went so far that the language was in danger. Prag had a huge German and Jewish population who spoke primarily German and in many Bohemian and Moravian villages German people lived but always side to side with Czechs.

Yes np Nordlicht. Like you say.

PS, people; I think this thread is in wrong section. It should be in european culture thread not arts & culture. :) Overal i must say to mods and admin this site is terrbly arranged no offence.

Blackout
01-05-2013, 12:02 AM
I am not Czech.

Hej!

Czech and Slovakia used to be one country! :icon_smile:

Muzete porozumet Czesky? :)

Windischer
01-05-2013, 12:12 AM
i know, i was born in czechoslovakia.

a ty rozumieš slovensky? abo slovjacki :D
Yes, czech is one of my native languages. however i dont need to speak czech with czechs as they understand slovak (although they have problems with rusnak or east slovak - slovjak - language)

edit: however google translator czech isnt really good ;)

Blackout
01-05-2013, 12:24 AM
i know, i was born in czechoslovakia.

a ty rozumieš slovensky? abo slovjacki :D
Yes, czech is one of my native languages. however i dont need to speak czech with czechs as they understand slovak (although they have problems with rusnak or east slovak - slovjak - language)

edit: however google translator czech isnt really good ;)

Awesome!

Ne, jsem zvykla zit ve Ceske Republika!. :thumb001:

That is true. There was a Slovak guy that moved there, and he spoke Czech perfect!

His Slovak dialect was abit different though.

You don't know how happy I am to meet you! :laugh:

Hochmeister
01-05-2013, 06:12 AM
Btw, it is interesting that almost all Germans have voted that Czechia was an Eastern country.

And by the way, that is radio, not newspaper, and the articles credibility is somewhere around zero.

It is an interview with Maria Janečkova, a Karl University's professor of Bohemistika (Prague).

Hochmeister
01-05-2013, 06:25 AM
Btw, it is interesting that almost all Germans have voted that Czechia was an Eastern country.

It reminds me of this:

Germanic peoples usually despise Slavs, and Slavs hate them back. For instance Germans don't recognize even Czechs to be Europeans.

Uhm, what!? :confused: Not true at all.

Oddly enough, but Czechia is Eastern for Germans. Even Leliana has proved it by voting here.

The West = Europe. Everything non-western is not true European according to a German/French/English point of view.

As for me, I consider Czechs to be West (but not Slovaks).

Windischer
01-05-2013, 08:31 AM
the article says that literary Czech usage declined, and that only rural dialects unsuitable for literature survived. He was born in Czech speaking family - meant dialectal Czech. By saying Neruda learned Czech in special linguistic seminary was meant he learned literary Czech.
Please if you cant understand a written material in its context, refrain from joining this discussion.

Hochmeister
01-05-2013, 08:53 AM
the article says that literary Czech usage declined, and that only rural dialects unsuitable for literature survived.

And those rural dialects were too different, almost like separate languages, non-understandable for Czechs from different lands (from the article).

Moreover:

Ко времени Чешского Национального Возрождения, в конце XVIII века все чешское городское население говорило на немецком и чешского не знало. Чешский был дискредитирован, низведен до статуса деревенского наречия

There is said that all the urban Czech residents hadn't known the Czech language, but only the German one.

Neruda learned Czech in special linguistic seminary was meant he learned literary Czech.

The literary Czech didn't exist.

Собственно, ситуация была настолько плоха, что чешский язык таким образом пришлось воссоздавать синтетическим путем. Он не развился на основе господствующего диалекта, а стал, по сути, искусственной компиляцией нескольких диалектов. Таким образом, Ян Неруда, например, выучил чешский язык в специальном лингвистическрм кружке в возрасте 18 лет.

There is said that the Czech language had been restored artificially from different dialects, like a compilation. For instance Jan Neruda mastered the Czech language being 18 YO in a special linguistic society (ibid in the article).

Please if you cant understand a written material in its context, refrain from joining this discussion.

Wtf? It is you who doesn't understand the original text of the article. :picard2:

Windischer
01-05-2013, 09:44 AM
Literary Czech did exist since before Hussite wars. There were more literary forms.
Jan Neruda mastered literary Czech in seminary, he grew up in a Czech-speaking family from Prague. However its vocabulary wasnt massive enough for a young intellectual with literature hobby. Thats why he attended the seminary.
Even today we say that children "learn Slovak in schools". Does that mean that they couldnt speak Slovak before going to school? Of course they could, they just learn had to learn the literary form. Sometimes even 18-19 years old people, after 9 years of elementary school and 4 years of secondary, cant grasp literary grammar.

about Czech dialects:

Существовали и диалекты, но в Чехии они не так сильно отличались друг от друга, как на Мораве, потому что их объединял сильный культурный центр - Прага.
Czech dialects werent as different from each other as, for example, Slovak dialects.

(edited for missing sentence.)

Trun
01-05-2013, 09:59 AM

LOL, Czech Rep and Slovenia eastern but Estonia western? :picard1: Both Czech Rep and Slovenia are more developed than Estonia.

Hochmeister
01-05-2013, 10:08 AM
LOL, Czech Rep and Slovenia eastern but Estonia western? :picard1: Both Czech Rep and Slovenia are more developed than Estonia.

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67171

ALL
01-08-2013, 05:16 PM

Some go by looks; some by shared blood and common ancestry

Albion
01-08-2013, 05:53 PM
It reminds me of this:

Oddly enough, but Czechia is Eastern for Germans. Even Leliana has proved it by voting here.

The West = Europe. Everything non-western is not true European according to a German/French/English point of view.

As for me, I consider Czechs to be West (but not Slovaks).

No, people need to stop thinking in a cold war sense. East and West Europe are just artificial constructs, there wasn't such a major division before the Cold War, rather one region of Europe just faded into the next. Countries such as Poland, Czechia, Slovakia and Lithuania historically had more interaction with and as part of Central Europe, especially with the HRE and German states than with Russia or the Balkans. "Eastern Europe" needs to revert to a purely geographical term.

Mikula
09-30-2013, 12:10 PM
I consider myself as Central-European. Nevertheless I voted for "West", although I live in the easternmost part of the country.
:)

Twistedmind
09-30-2013, 12:15 PM
Countries such as Poland, Czechia, Slovakia and Lithuania historically had more interaction with and as part of Central Europe, especially with the HRE and German states than with Russia or the Balkans. "Eastern Europe" needs to revert to a purely geographical term.

Lithuania, Slovakia and Poland no way. They were belonging to western cultural circle that is true. But Lithuania and Poland controled Ukraine, Belarus and large parts of modern Russia, also they latter were part of Russian Empire, they had far more interaction with Russia than with HRE.
Slovakia, well its interesting case, but they were part of Hungary, which was largely involved in Balkan affairs. Again, there is cultural religious connection, but they more were mingled in Eastern Europan business. Altough, Central European label is not out of place, but neither is Eastern.

Aunt Hilda
09-30-2013, 01:49 PM
I would say it 60% western and 40% eastern.

Äike
09-30-2013, 05:49 PM
Fully Balto-Slav/Eastern-European.

The Czech have stereotypically Slavic names that can be confused even with Russian names. Their flag colors, hardcore Balto-Slavic pride, taken from their brothers, the Russians. They speak a Slavic language, that pretty much is the main requirement for being Eastern-European.

Did I already mention that they're Slavs, just likes the Poles, Ukrainians, Bulgarians and Russians?

Aunt Hilda
09-30-2013, 05:51 PM

The Czech have stereotypically Slavic names that can be confused even with Russian names. Their flag colors, hardcore Balto-Slavic pride, taken from their brothers, the Russians. They speak a Slavic language, that pretty much is the main requirement for being Eastern-European.

Did I already mention that they're Slavs, just likes the Poles, Ukrainians, Bulgarians and Russians?
did someone hack your account?

Their flag colors, hardcore Balto-Slavic pride
someone send Britain, America, France, Australia, Luxenbourg, Norway, Iceland, etc. a note.

Dombra
09-30-2013, 05:53 PM
As western as an east central country can get

Mikula
09-30-2013, 05:57 PM

Do you mean that all Slavic nations have the same culture?

According the flag, yes white-blue-red is pan-Slavic colors, and derivated from Russian flag.
And Russian flag was inspired by flag of Holland. Dutch people are perhaps Eastern Europeans, too :)

Äike
09-30-2013, 07:14 PM
Do you mean that all Slavic nations have the same culture?

According the flag, yes white-blue-red is pan-Slavic colors, and derivated from Russian flag.
And Russian flag was inspired by flag of Holland. Dutch people are perhaps Eastern Europeans, too :)

http://i.imgur.com/gDXpI.png

Mikula
09-30-2013, 07:27 PM
Äike: I do not deny that we Czechs are Slavs.
But I think that Czech towns are more simillar to towns in Austria, than in Bulgaria, for example.

Windischer
09-30-2013, 07:35 PM
karl went idiot. completely

p. s. kosovo is albanian speaking, not slavic. ok? :picard2:

Peikko
09-30-2013, 07:36 PM
Central. But voted for Eastern, since it wasn't an option.

Peikko
09-30-2013, 07:37 PM
Someone should do a thread: which is more Western European, Czech Rep. or Estonia? :p

Mans not hot
09-30-2013, 07:39 PM
I would say it 60% western and 40% eastern.
Western than Estonia, for sure.

Corvus
09-30-2013, 07:47 PM
But I think that Czech towns are more simillar to towns in Austria, than in Bulgaria, for example.

Definitly, partially because of the common history (Bohemia and Moravia belonged 300 years to the Austrian-Hungarian empire) but that does not mean that the Czech Rep. is Western European. I would rather say Eastern Austria is very Slavic influenced. This does not apply to the Western part, which is Germanic Alpine.

Mikula
09-30-2013, 08:00 PM
Definitly, partially because of the common history (Bohemia and Moravia belonged 300 years to the Austrian-Hungarian empire) but that does not mean that the Czech Rep. is Western European. I would rather say Eastern Austria is very Slavic influenced. This does not apply to the Western part, which is Germanic Alpine.

As I wrote before the most correct term for CZ is Central Europe. Because there is not possible to choose for Central, I voted for West.
A lot of another members wrote that the best will be Central but for the same reasons had to vote for West or East. I agree that it is possible to find some arguments why to see Czech Republic as Eastern European.
But language of its inhabitants is not argument of this kind.

Äike
09-30-2013, 08:03 PM

Are we talking about towns or people? People are the basis of a nation.

Corvus
09-30-2013, 08:04 PM
As I wrote before the most correct term for CZ is Central Europe. Because there is not possible to choose for Central, I voted for West.
A lot of another members wrote that the best will be Central but for the same reasons had to vote for West or East. I agree that it is possible to find some arguments why to see Czech Republic as Eastern European.
But language of its inhabitants is not argument of this kind.

Yes geographically its Central European and in the meantime also culturally. I have been recently in Prague again and I have to admit it became a very European town, in my eyes even more civilised and less chaotic than Balkanic Vienna.
Lets say Czech Rep. is without a doubt Slavic and Central European.

morski
09-30-2013, 08:21 PM

Indeed, unfortunately we didn't have Germans to build us nice towns like you did, instead we had Turks - mosques and oriental bazaars.:thumb001:

Mikula
09-30-2013, 08:21 PM
Are we talking about towns or people? People are the basis of a nation.

I thought that question of the thread asked about cultural (not linguistic) similarities of Czech Republic to Western and/or Eastern Europe.
For example, Italian language is Romanic language and Italy is by its culture and history,
Mediterrean country.
Romanian language is Romanic language and Romania is by its culture and history, Balkan country.

Äike
09-30-2013, 08:52 PM
I thought that question of the thread asked about cultural (not linguistic) similarities of Czech Republic to Western and/or Eastern Europe.
For example, Italian language is Romanic language and Italy is by its culture and history,
Mediterrean country.
Romanian language is Romanic language and Romania is by its culture and history, Balkan country.

Culturally, the Czech Republic is Eastern-European to the core, as it's populated by the Czech people, who are the basis of that nation. The Czech are Eastern-Europeans and living in German-like towns doesn't change that.

Aunt Hilda
10-01-2013, 12:44 AM
The Czech are Eastern-Europeans and living in German-like towns
much like estonians. actually, exactly like estonians.

Reval is a nice little town, nothing compared to Prague.

Permafrost
10-01-2013, 01:30 AM
It is no overstatement to call the Czech Republic as the 'bulwark' of secularism in Europe. Likewise, the forerunner of the reformed Christian denominations was a Czech, Jan Hus.

This particular trait is very un-eastern European.

Mediterrean country.

Ignorirajte tega Estonskega hlupaka, pan Mikula.

justme
10-01-2013, 05:02 AM
Czech are Central European.

Stefan_Dusan
10-01-2013, 05:05 AM
Nothing against the Czech people, Prague is one of the most beautiful city in Europe. Take girl there during spring or summer. But they're Germans in mentality and I felt I could not relate to any of them. Probably mutual feeling. I consider them central Europe.

Äike
10-01-2013, 01:17 PM
much like estonians. actually, exactly like estonians.

Reval is a nice little town, nothing compared to Prague.

Tallinn has the best preserved medieval old town in entire Europe and you are completely correct, Prague is absolutely nothing compared to Tallinn. Prague is just popular because of its proximity to the West, thus everyone know it.

Trun
10-01-2013, 01:19 PM
Prague is absolutely nothing compared to Tallinn.

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/3811948032/hEC4BFDD7/

Äike
10-01-2013, 01:19 PM
Anyway, life in the Czech Republic and Slovakia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mYqY5YELd0

Aunt Hilda
10-01-2013, 01:23 PM
Tallinn has the best preserved medieval old town in entire Europe and you are completely correct, Prague is absolutely nothing compared to Tallinn. Prague is just popular because of its proximity to the West, thus everyone know it.
Reval is a wee town(wee is a very good word for it since Finns love to piss all over it). there's nothing to do there. Out of the baltic capitals Tallinn pales in the presence of Riga.
Prague, on the other had, is not only an important city historically, it's also one of the most important cities in Europe. deal with it.

more like tallinn after the germans left.

Äike
10-01-2013, 01:27 PM
Reval is a wee town(wee is a very good word for it since Finns love to piss all over it). there's nothing to do there. Out of the baltic capitals Tallinn pales in the presence of Riga.
Prague, on the other had, is not only an important city historically, it's also one of the most important cities in Europe. deal with it.

Obvious (or envious?) troll is obvious.

Also, Tallinn is not a Baltic capital. Tallinn's medieval old town is the best preserved example of Nordic medieval architecture. Just like Narva was "the Nordic Dresden" and extremely well-known in Europe, before it was bombed to ruble.

Aunt Hilda
10-01-2013, 01:33 PM
Also, Tallinn is not a Baltic capital. Tallinn's medieval old town is the best preserved example of Nordic medieval architecture.
Tallinn was always a baltic capital. Latvia and Estonia have always been considered to be baltic states(Lithuania was only added latter), the nickname derives from Baltic Germans, deal with it.

Insuperable
10-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Leaning toward the West

Twistedmind
10-01-2013, 01:55 PM

Czech Republic is more developed than Estonia, be CR, Eastern, Western, or Central Europe. You mad wanabe-Nord?

inactive_member
10-01-2013, 01:59 PM
Czech Republic is more developed than Estonia, be CR, Eastern, Western, or Central Europe. You mad wanabe-Nord?

Their mindset is more western too.

Twistedmind
10-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Their mindset is more western too.

And they are far more on West than Estonia. :D

inactive_member
10-01-2013, 02:07 PM
And they are far more on West than Estonia. :D

Czech Republic is more progressive which is evident to any by stander. Oh! Genetically, Czechs are closer to the Germans and Swedes in comparison to the Estonians if it counts for anything. >

alb0zfinest
10-01-2013, 02:09 PM
Vychodni.

Windischer
10-01-2013, 02:20 PM
äike shouldnt watch american movies
he thinks they are real
what the hell

Aunt Hilda
10-01-2013, 02:25 PM
äike shouldnt watch american movies
he thinks they are real
what the hell
don't tell me you thought he reads books? xD

Äike
10-01-2013, 04:48 PM

A little Slav country half-way inside Germany who started doing reforms already in 1989 can't be compared to a country that got independence a few months before 1992.

You're comparing apples (Independent East Bloc countries which became democratic already in 1989) and oranges(occupied by the USSR for 50 years).

Besides all Eastern-European countries look like Slavic shitholes, compared to beautiful country like Estonia. Our only ugly parts (which look like average Czech towns) are Russian slums or majority Russian industrial towns in North-Eastern Estonia.

riverman
10-01-2013, 04:53 PM
Czech Republic is more progressive which is evident to any by stander. Oh! Genetically, Czechs are closer to the Germans and Swedes in comparison to the Estonians if it counts for anything. >

Estonians aren't anything like Czechs, however Czechs have nothing to do with swedes, and Germany is a conglomeration of different people/cultures.

Twistedmind
10-01-2013, 05:00 PM
A little Slav country half-way inside Germany who started doing reforms already in 1989 can't be compared to a country that got independence a few months before 1992.
Its 3 years bro. And CR was like allways more developed. During HRE, before that, when you were udner Swedes, Baltic Germans,
Russians... just name it.

By the way, Czechia is giant for Estonia.

You're comparing apples (Independent East Bloc countries which became democratic already in 1989) and oranges(occupied by the USSR for 50 years).
See point one.

Besides all Eastern-European countries look like Slavic shitholes, compared to beautiful country like Estonia. Our only ugly parts (which look like average Czech towns) are Russian slums or majority Russian industrial towns in North-Eastern Estonia.
I heard about Golden Prague, never heard about Golden Tallin. Sorry bruda.

Anyway, I would chit chat with you, but I have urgent bussines, to do in Anthropology section.

inactive_member
10-01-2013, 05:04 PM
Estonians aren't anything like Czechs, however Czechs have nothing to do with swedes, and Germany is a conglomeration of different people/cultures.

Both Estonians and Czechs are genetically distant from the Swedes. However, Czechs are closer which can be easily verified using public data released by the scientific studies. Czechs are definately closer to southern, northern and an average Germans than Estonians.

riverman
10-01-2013, 05:07 PM
Both Estonians and Czechs are genetically distant from the Swedes. However, Czechs are closer which can be easily verified using public data released by the scientific studies. Czechs are definately closer to southern, northern and an average Germans than Estonians.

This makes sense, but we're getting into apples and oranges with germans really, imo.
Estonians theoretically should be mostly finnic, unless a lot of ethnic mixing has taken place.

Aunt Hilda
10-01-2013, 05:10 PM
This makes sense, but we're getting into apples and oranges with germans really, imo.
Estonians theoretically should be mostly finnic, unless a lot of ethnic mixing has taken place.
they're not, they are closer to russians and latvians genetically, not finns.

inactive_member
10-01-2013, 05:19 PM

Genetically, Estonians are hardcore NW Russians and Latvians. An Estonian scholar completed a thesis on genome-wide population of Estonians for his doctorate. There are a few journal articles published in respectable scientific journals. Genetically, Czechs are closer to the Germans than some people may think. I am talking about autosomes not the frequencies of haplogroups.

Äike
10-01-2013, 09:25 PM
they're not, they are closer to russians and latvians genetically, not finns.

...and now all of The Apricity knows that you haven't been in a single history lesson during your life. Congrats, lowering your "reputation" even more.

Not a Cop
10-02-2013, 03:36 PM
...and now all of The Apricity knows that you haven't been in a single history lesson during your life. Congrats, lowering your "reputation" even more.

Could you please give me any links to a genetical researches? Even by haplogroups you are closer to Russians

Mans not hot
10-02-2013, 04:16 PM
Who cares about Estonia when this thread is supposed to be about whether Czech Republic is Eastern or Western!

Aunt Hilda
10-02-2013, 04:17 PM
Who cares about Estonia when this thread is supposed to be about whether Czech Republic is Eastern or Western!
Karl spreads his propaganda everywhere he can.

Mans not hot
10-02-2013, 04:17 PM
Argh, so typical.

Äike
10-02-2013, 07:18 PM

1. I said that the Czech are stereotypically Eastern-European Balto-Slavs and so is their country.

2. All butthurt Slavs + a few trolls started hating on me and attacking Estonia

3. People blame me of bringing Estonia to this thread, while they did so.

Mans not hot
10-02-2013, 07:27 PM
1. I said that the Czech are stereotypically Eastern-European Balto-Slavs and so is their country.

2. All butthurt Slavs + a few trolls started hating on me and attacking Estonia

3. People blame me of bringing Estonia to this thread, while they did so.
Go away, Im tired of your bullshit.

Äike
10-02-2013, 07:31 PM
Go away, Im tired of your bullshit.

Fuck off then.

Wolf
10-02-2013, 07:31 PM
Based on the culture, language, history, customs, live style etc. Do you see Czech Republic as an Eastern European country or rather Western European country?

Western, that's very obvious.