PDA

View Full Version : What is the snowiest place in Europe?

Kazuma
11-15-2012, 01:22 PM
Winter is coming and I want to understand what european area (not the country) is the snowiest.

In Italy I'm pretty sure about these places:
- obviously alps and appennines
- in plains south piedmont and sw lombardy
- in coastal areas marche and romagna and liguria (but only between Genoa and Savona).

p.s. I mean the snowiest not the coldest :thumb001:

Peyrol
11-15-2012, 01:25 PM
Winter is coming and I want to understand what european area (not the country) is the snowiest.

In Italy I'm pretty sure about these places:
- obviously alps and appennines
- in plains south piedmont and sw lombardy
- in coastal areas marche and romagna and liguria (but only between Genoa and Savona).

p.s. I mean the snowiest not the coldest :thumb001:

For south Piemont you mean Cuneo province? Because it is:

oBgwqHz5vA0

ficuscarica
11-15-2012, 01:25 PM
The west sides of the high mountains, at least in Germany. They block the clouds that travel eastwards, coming from the Atlantic, and receive all the precipitation.

Kazuma
11-15-2012, 02:07 PM
For south Piemont you mean Cuneo province? Because it is:

I mean south piedmont about the snowiest plain, so Cuneo/Asti/Alessandria.
Monregalese di pianura e Monferrato insomma :D
These places have the so called "cuscino freddo padano".
Alps and Ligurian Appennine retain the cold coming from the east and the cold self-produced by the thermal inversion during high-pressure periods.
This phenomenon allows the snow in piedmont while in the surrounding areas of italy and of europe it could rain.
Genoa is influenced by this "cuscino" thanks to another phenomenon called "tramontana scura", a cold wind.

ps I have a mountain house in Cuneo province but in mountain (m. 1400). It's a very snowy place.

Corvus
11-15-2012, 02:10 PM
Snow is such a rare occasion in Europe nowadays. I think the Western alpine mountains with an altidute of above 2.000 m are the places with most snow percipitation.

Mans not hot
11-15-2012, 02:31 PM
The biggest snowcatcher in the Alps, according to research done by a journalist, is Damüls in the western part of Austria. This region, known as the ‘Vorarlberg’ is notorious for benefitting most from all north and north-west currents.

Comte Arnau
11-15-2012, 02:40 PM
Here in Catalonia snow is only common in the northern counties, by the Pyrenees, where you've got all the ski resorts, or in southern inland counties near mountain ranges. It is permanent over 2,000 m.

In the rest of Catalonia, specially by the shores, we only see snow maybe once every year or two, and it never remains on the ground for too long.