PDA

View Full Version : as Europeans, where in the middle east would you travel?

drogin
12-18-2012, 05:34 PM
As Europeans, where in the middle east would you travel, for a holiday or other short-term stuff?
Both in terms of your interests, your political and moral sense, and in terms of your security.

My list:
Georgia(if you count that as middle east)
Armenia(possibly) and/or Azerbaijan
Israel
South-Kurdistan("Iraqi" kurdistan region).

Why? It's the only countries in the region that seems progressive to me.
The rest is a bunch of backwards dictatorships or extremist religious countries, a lot of them racist. With very little of interest for me.

And I would've had Lebanon on the list, if the Maronites handt lost the civil war to the Syrians and Palestinians.

Turkey is kind of tricky. It's certainly better than some countries in the middle east. On the other hand, the government of Turkey is driving the country in the wrong direction. Not to mention the occasional massacres of assyrian and armenian christians, that they still does not acknowledge.

Sikeliot
12-18-2012, 05:35 PM
Lebanon, Armenia, and Turkey.

Illancha
12-18-2012, 05:48 PM
You should try Jordan. You'll be surprised at what it has to offer.

drogin
12-18-2012, 05:53 PM
You should try Jordan. You'll be surprised at what it has to offer.
Granted. Although I'm not sure if the majority of the population are as pragmatic as the king.

Illancha
12-18-2012, 06:01 PM
Granted. Although I'm not sure if the majority of the population are as pragmatic as the king.
The vast majority are especially in the capital and other touristic areas, I've lived there for half my life.
There's a bit of an upheaval there at present due to the Arab spring stuff going on, but it's certainly worth visiting and I would honestly say it is easily the most stable and forward thinking country in that region.

Svante
12-18-2012, 07:38 PM
I will not travel to middle east. I never go t o Israel.

drogin
12-18-2012, 07:51 PM
Been there already actually.
http://i49.tinypic.com/2ntwnd3.jpg

Leliana
12-18-2012, 09:28 PM
I'd never set a foot on the near- and middle east. Near east begins at the Bosporus btw.

Baldur
12-18-2012, 09:35 PM
What countries do u count as the middle east?

King Claus
12-18-2012, 09:36 PM
i will never ever go there.

Anglojew
12-18-2012, 09:39 PM
Totally agree. I've been to Israel. Would love to see Kurdistan. Lebanon would have been great when it was the "Paris of the East" and not Hezballahstan.

Don Arb
12-18-2012, 09:44 PM
I would go in Armenia,Iran,Jordan,Qatar,Israel.

Smaug
12-18-2012, 09:47 PM
Turkey, Israel, United Arab Emirates...

Su
12-18-2012, 10:09 PM
Dubai

Arsen_
12-22-2012, 04:27 PM
Armenia is a good choice for traveling.

Country is beautiful, people are friendly, food is excellent and last but not least it is very safe in Armenia.

An American female writer, artist, and anthropologist Dana Walrath (who is now in Armenia) recently wrote in her blog: "Over one million people live in Yerevan and yet I feel safe here... I can walk alone through dark parks and alleys at night, to get where I need to go, in safety. How can we return to this level of safety?"

drogin
12-22-2012, 11:01 PM
Armenia is a good choice for traveling.

Country is beautiful, people are friendly, food is excellent and last but not least it is very safe in Armenia.

An American female writer, artist, and anthropologist Dana Walrath (who is now in Armenia) recently wrote in her blog: "Over one million people live in Yerevan and yet I feel safe here... I can walk alone through dark parks and alleys at night, to get where I need to go, in safety. How can we return to this level of safety?"
Yep, closest thing I come to Armenia was the Armenian quarter in Jerusalem.
But yep, Armenia is on my list

Xenomorph
12-22-2012, 11:04 PM
If it ever calms down, I'd love to go to Egypt.

askra
12-22-2012, 11:10 PM
I would travel everywhere in the Middle East, excluding logically places like Syria and Irak in this particular historical moment, but i will never like to live there!

Jackson
12-22-2012, 11:16 PM
London. xD

I'd probably go to Israel, Egypt, Lebanon, and although i don't know whether it's considered as part of the Middle East or not (?) i'd visit Turkey. Also like to go to Iran and Syria. There is an effing ton of history and archaeology there, just incredible. If you think your people have been civilised for a while where you live, there they've been civilised far longer.

Salem
12-23-2012, 02:21 AM
I would like to visit Iran, and Palestine after it is liberated of Zionist occupation.

Rouxinol
12-23-2012, 02:33 AM
I like to travel... Middle East is not my taste at all, but I would visit religious centers in Israel (Jerusalem) and Saudi Arabia (yet they don't let non-Muslims in Mecca or Medina I've been told). Would also visit Lebanon and Jordan (Petra, would like to go there).

Bobby Martnen
02-17-2018, 07:32 AM
The whole area seems a bit dangerous ATM