PDA

View Full Version : Things you can say in this forum but get banned in other forums for.

Caismeachd
01-11-2013, 03:57 AM
I was posting in a general hobby forum. (nothing to do with anthropology) and there was a discussion about Lord of the Rings. I don't have any particular attachment to Lord of the Rings. I hated the movies. They were horribly overdrawn and badly edited IMO. Liked the book Hobbit when I was little though, and I know enough about it's writing and history anyways. Someone in a thread said "Lord of the Rings and Tolkien is the greatest book of Jewish and Norse language." I know for a fact Lord of the Rings has nothing to do with Jewish language and the language he made up is based after Finnish. I wrote in the thread that it's not Jewish language based but he specifically based the elfish language on Finnish. I even wrote some Finnish. Minä rakastan suomea. I said nothing but the truth but I was still banned for saying that it had nothing to do with Jewish language. There is so much sensitivity that even flat out lies are given more respect than the truth.

Serpent Mist
01-23-2013, 10:52 PM
Depends which Middle Earth language your talking about. It is true that Quenya was mostly influenced by Finnish however the Dwarvish language Khuzdul seems to be semitic based. It has triconsonantal roots similar to hebrew and arabic.

If a forum bans you for simple facts it's not a forum you should want to involve yourself with. Don't let it bother you too much.

Teyrn
01-23-2013, 11:03 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khuzdul#External_history

"Tolkien noted some similarities between Dwarves and Jews: both were "at once natives and aliens in their habitations, speaking the languages of the country, but with an accent due to their own private tongue…".[1] Tolkien also commented of the Dwarves that "their words are Semitic obviously, constructed to be Semitic."[2] Tolkien based Dwarvish language on the Semitic languages. Like these, Khuzdul has triconsonantal roots: kh-z-d, b-n-d, z-g-l. Also other similarities to Hebrew in phonology and morphology have been observed.[3][4]"