PDA

View Full Version : Social Skills

YellowRose
01-25-2013, 12:32 AM
I just have a question...

If a person's only contact with the outside world is through a computer, would you say that this person is lacking social skills?

For example: They are only into online dating, the only friends they claim to have are online, they continue to falsify information about themselves to others online to come off better than they appear?

Smaug
01-25-2013, 12:36 AM
Yes, I would say this hypothetical person lacks social skills.

Pontios
01-25-2013, 12:37 AM
For sure lacking some. But it can also depend on who the person is and if he is in his country or a foreign country.

Grenzland
01-25-2013, 12:50 AM

If a person's only contact with the outside world is through a computer, would you say that this person is lacking social skills?

For example: They are only into online dating, the only friends they claim to have are online, they continue to falsify information about themselves to others online to come off better than they appear?

They don't have any social skills!

Absinthe
01-25-2013, 06:25 AM

:picard1: I hope you are trolling, because if you're asking this seriously, the world is really coming to an end... :eek:

Baldur
01-25-2013, 06:31 AM
You never go outside your room?

AlexandraD
01-25-2013, 06:34 AM
most of that stuff doesn't scream "complete awkwardness" to me, but the whole "only contact with the outside world through the computer?"

yeaaaaaaaaahhh... that seems like you would need to lack ALOT of social skills for that :P i know people who are very shy, and they don't go out much but they still go out for usual stuff, or to meet friends every once in awhile :|

Absinthe
01-25-2013, 06:36 AM
I can think of a few instances where this would be normal:

- someone operating a weather station in Alaska
- someone being in jail, in an isolated cell with internet access
- someone living in a foreign country where the natives are largely hostile towards him (e.g. European living in Saudi Arabia)
etc

In any other instance this person seriously needs to start seeing a therapist, or even better, admit themselves to a rehabilitation clinic.

morski
01-25-2013, 06:43 AM

Sounds like agoraphobia or some such disorder.:shrug:

Incal
01-25-2013, 07:17 AM
That person is not lacking social skills. That person got no social skills at all.

Aredhel
01-25-2013, 07:25 AM

Obviously he/she doesn't have social skills, you can't consider a forum friend like a real friend, he/she can be pretending be someone else. I hope this isn't your case.

Don Diego de Vargas
01-25-2013, 08:27 AM
Why doesn't this person interact with real live people?

Interaction through technology should never be a replacement or excuse for refusing to practice social skills

YellowRose
01-25-2013, 09:40 AM
LOL! Thank you all for responding!

My question was pretty much answered.

And for those who were wondering, "no, this person is not me". I am quite the opposite actually haha. I am very much a social butterfly and love meeting and talking to people.

I guess I should be more specific. This person does go out in the real world when working, going grocery shopping, etc. What I meant was is this person prefers only to have friends and socialize with those that are online. The only recent romantic relationships this person has had was through online dating. This person also tends to lie and falsify information about their physical appearance.

Oh well, I guess that is how why some people prefer the online world, you can be who you want and not a sole would know otherwise.

:)

Siberian Cold Breeze
01-25-2013, 10:45 AM
Social skills are overrrated
computer does what I want ,stays awake till I sleep and has a lovely library ,shares with me..and never complains ..
Who needs real people :D

AlexandraD
01-25-2013, 10:57 AM
computer does what I want ,stays awake till I sleep and has a lovely library ,shares with me..and never complains ..

wQGtW2bvvt8

:P

anime is chobits, which is a super cute story about a guy who falls in love with this girl robot like thingy in the future :)

Siberian Cold Breeze
01-25-2013, 11:16 AM
Thank you ..Erm love my computer but not ready for emotional relationship like this :D

Albion
01-25-2013, 10:08 PM

Lol, this is replacing my signature. :D

Siberian Cold Breeze
01-26-2013, 07:12 AM
Gladly lol :D

calxpal
10-30-2023, 04:07 AM
Yes while I think online resources for meeting people can be good for some people and in moderation, I've found that those who depend on the internet 100% to meet others consistently and try to make themselves look better online too tend to have problems with insecurity, emotional control, being polite, are more unstable, get upset easily, keeping boundaries, and consider almost everyone online who barely knows them to be a close friend. I would like to call this "chronically online syndrome" but honestly this has been a problem I've encountered so often that now I only accept messenger requests from people I know well in real life or for work reasons, and I've become increasingly reluctant to accept Discord chat requests as well and even just off-site adds just because I want to simplify my life and I'm just tired of blatant disrespect, stupidity, and incessant clinginess from people online. I have noticed a big decline in social etiquette in recent years, some experiences I had were shockingly bad and unexpected so I am honestly astounded and disturbed by the manner in which people online felt like they could talk down to me, although I think It's better if you're a man since so many people seem to see nice women as a "pushover" and assume they won't talk back or do anything, I have to be careful now not to be overly nice online.

One of the biggest number one red flag statements from these chronically online people is "online friends are just as close as real life friends, so we are friends" when they haven't even talked to you much. While I think this CAN be true I think chronically online people want to believe this when it may not be. Another red flag is when the first they they ask about is all your personal and material attributes before anything else like a job interview or something, especially when they immediately ask about age, occupation, relationship status, what car you have or even your RACE. They are probably trying to size you up and feel superior, or just don't know how to socialize that well.

I also think though that the internet empowers some people to have worse social behavior than in real life due to the lower consequences online, the potential for anonymity, and the ability to not act like your real self online and give a false image as you desire.