PDA

View Full Version : The 13th International Saga Conference..

Lyfing
08-11-2009, 10:19 PM
The 13th International Saga Conference.. (http://www.dur.ac.uk/medieval.www/sagaconf/sagapps.htm)

A

Sirpa Aalto (University of Joensuu, Finland) : Categorizing 'Otherness' in Heimskringla

Christopher Abram (University College London) : Snorri's Invention of Hermóðr's helreið

Lesley Abrams (Balliol College, Oxford) : Viking Northumbria - the Non-Saga Evidence - preprint of paper not supplied - please see abstract

Aðalheiður Guðmundsdóttir (Stofnun Árna Magnússonar, Háskóli Íslands) : On supernatural motifs in the fornaldarsögur

Carolyn B. Anderson (University of Wyoming) : Fantasy in Njal's Saga: History as Spectral Past

T.M. Andersson (Indiana University, Emeritus) : The Earliest Íslendinga saga: Another Candidate

Emily Archer (University of East Anglia / Institute of Historical Research, London) : 'It is generally thought that you are rather too poor': Saga Iceland, a Marriage Proposal, Rejection and the Reasons Why

Ármann Jakobsson (Háskóli Íslands, Reykjavík) : The Good, the Bad and the Ugly: The Giants of Bárðar saga

David Ashurst (University of Durham) : Imagining Paradise

Ásdís Egilsdóttir (Háskóli Íslands, Reykjavík) : The Fantastic Reality: Hagiography, Miracles and Fantasy (Plenary paper)

Auður Ingvarsdóttir : Hafði eg úr hvorri er framar greindi: Þróun í ritun Landnámabók

B

Massimiliano Bampi (Università Ca' Foscari di Venezia) : Between Tradition and Innovation: the Story of Starkaðr in Gautreks saga

Bjørn Bandlien (Universitetet i Oslo) : Cultural Contacts between England and Norway after the Conquest

Geraldine Barnes (University of Sydney) : Margin vs. Centre: Geopolitics in Nitida saga (a Cosmographical Comedy?)

Simonetta Battista (Ordbog over det norrøne prosasprog, Københavns Universitet) : Andskoti, blámaðr, djöfull and fjándi: Representations of the Devil in Old Norse Translation Literature

Karen Bek-Pedersen (University of Edinburgh) : Are the Spinning Nornir just a Yarn? A Closer Look at Helgakviða Hundingsbana I 2-4

Chiara Benati (Universita Di Napoli L`Orientale) : The Fantastic and the Supernatural in the Saga Ósvalds konúngs hins helga: Patterns and Functions

Yvonne S. Bonnetain (Schulmeistrat) : Riding the Tree

Ingvil Brügger Budal (Universitetet i Bergen) : A Translation of the Fantastic

Trine Buhl(Århus Universitet) : Illusions of Mimesis - preprint of paper not supplied - please see abstract

C

H.C. Carron (Emmanuel College Cambridge) : History and Þórðar saga kakala

Marlene Ciklamini (Rutgers University) : Folklore and Hagiography in Arngrímr's Guðmundar saga Arasonar

Margaret Clunies Ross (University of Sydney) : Poetry and Fornaldarsögur

Margaret Clunies Ross (University of Sydney): Stylistic and Generic Definers of the Old Norse Skaldic Ekphrasis (Contribution for the Roundtable)

Jamie Cochrane : Land-Spirits and Iceland's Fantastical Pre-Conversion Landscape

E

Amy C. Eichhorn-Mulligan, (University of Memphis) : Contextualizing Old Norse - Icelandic Bodies

Elín Bára Magnúsdóttir (Universitetet i Bergen) : An Ideological Struggle. An Interpretation of Eyrbyggja saga

Alexey Eremenko (University of Moscow) : The Dual World of the Fornaldarsögur

Thor Ewing : 'í litklæðum': Coloured Clothes in Medieval Scandinavian Literature and Archaeology

F

Oren Falk (Cornell University) : Fragments of Fourteenth-Century Icelandic Folklore

Fulvio Ferrari (Università degli Studi di Trento) : Gods, Warlocks and Monsters in Örvar-Odds saga

Alison Finlay (Birkbeck College, London) : History and Fantasy in Jómsvíkinga saga

Frog (University College London)

Signe Horn Fuglesang (University of Oslo): Iconographic Traditions and Models in Scandinavian Imagery (Contribution for the Roundtable)

G

Kari Ellen Gade (Indiana University) : 'Hôðr … sonr Óðins' - but did Snorri know that?

Gísli Sigurðsson (Stofnun Árna Magnússonar á Íslandi, Reykjavík) : The Mental Map of the British Isles in the Icelandic Sagas

Gísli Pálsson (Háskóli Íslands, Reykjavík) : Weather and Witchcraft in the Sagas of Icelanders ( with Astrid E.J. Ogilvie )

Galina Glazyrina (Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow) : Dragon Motifs in Yngvars saga víðförla

Siân Grønlie (St. Hilda's College, Oxford) : Miracles, Magic and Missionaries: the Supernatural in the Conversion þættir

Guðrún Nordal (Háskóli Íslands, Reykjavík) : To Dream or Not to Dream? The Varying Role of the Fantastic in the Rewriting of Sturlunga saga

Guðvarður Már Gunnlaugsson (Stofnun Árna Magnússonar á Íslandi, Reykjavík) : The Origin of Icelandic Script: Some Remarks

Fernando Guerrero (University of York) : Supernatural Drinking Horns

Terry Gunnell (Háskóli Íslands, Reykjavík) : How Elvish were the Álfar?

Elena Gurevich (Institute of World Literature, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow) : The Fantastic in Íslendinga þættir, with Special Emphasis on Þorsteins þáttr forvitna

H

Jan Ragnar Hagland (NTNU Trondheim) : As You Like It? Narrative Units Recycled: Norðimbraland in Sequences of Saga Writing

Odd Einar Haugen (University of Bergen) : On the Diplomatic Turn in Editorial Philology

Eldar Heide (Universitetet i Bergen) : Spirits through Respiratory Passages

Helgi Skúli Kjartansson (Kennaraháskóli Íslands, Reykjavík) : English Models for King Harald Fairhair?

Helgi Þorláksson (Háskóli Íslands, Reykjavík) : The Fantastic Fourteenth Century

Pernille Hermann (University of Aarhus) : The Icelandic Sagas and the Real: Realism in Þorláks saga

Kate Heslop (University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne) : Assembling the Olaf-archive? Verses in Óláfs saga Tryggvasonar en mesta

Ann-Dörte Heynoldt (University of Kiel) : 'Draumar mínir villa oss': On the Use of the First Person Plural in Contexts of Individuals in Skaldic Stanzas

Bengt Holmström : 'Ego Cnuto' - a Winchester Document with Scandinavian Implications

Lise Hvarregaard (Københavns Universitet) : Sagaspor: Saga-intertekstualitet i Einar Már Guðmundssons forfatterskab

I

Ingunn Ásdísardóttir : Frigg and Freyja: One Great Goddess or Two?

J

Tatjana N. Jackson (Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow) : The Fantastic in the Kings' Sagas

Judith Jesch (University of Nottingham) : Norse Myths and Legends in Orkney

Karl G. Johansson (Universitetet i Oslo) : Hervarar Saga's Stanzas and the Manuscript that Met the Reader - preprint of paper not supplied - please see abstract

Vera Johanterwage (Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster) : The Use of Magic Spells and Objects in the Icelandic Riddarasögur

Jon Gunnar Jørgensen Universitetet i Oslo): Thormod Torfæus and his Use of Sagas in Historiæ Rerum Norvegicarum, 1711

K

Marianne Kalinke (University of Illinois) : The Genesis of Fiction in the North Plenary Paper

Merrill Kaplan (University of California, Berkeley) : Out-Thoring Thor in Óláfs saga Tryggvasonar en mesta

Kári Gíslason (Kopavógur College) : The Fantastic in the Family Sagas: Implications for Saga Authorship

John Kennedy (Charles Sturt University, Wagga Wagga) : The lslendingasögur and Ireland

Donata Kick (University of Durham) : Old Norse Translations of Ælfric's De Falsis Diis and De Auguriis in Hauksbók

Kjartan G. Ottósson (Universitetet i Oslo) : Árni Magnússons samling av skaldedikt i AM 761 a - b 4to

Jana Krüger (Universität Kiel) : fara í vestrvíking: Wikingfahrten mit dem Ziel britische Inseln in der altnordischen Literatur

Annette Kruhøffer : Thorkell the Tall

Hans Kuhn (Australian National University) : Þórðr hreða in Saga and Rímur

Henning Kure : The Doom of Ragnarok

L

Carolyne Larrington (St. John's College, Oxford) : Loki's Children

Annette Lassen (Københavns universitet) : Hrafnagaldur Óðins / Forspjallsljóð - a Medieval Eddic Poem?

Philip Lavender (Jesus College, Oxford) : The Translation of Prophetic Imagery in Merlínusspá

Christina Lee (University of Nottingham) : 'Cast a cold eye on life, on death': Disease in the Sagas - preprint of paper not supplied - please see abstract

Emily Lethbridge (Emmanuel College, Cambridge) : Curses! Swords and Spears in the Versions of Gísla saga Súrssonar

Shannon Lewis-Simpson (Memorial University of Newfoundland) : The Role of Material Culture in the Literary Presentation of Greenland

Fredrik Charpentier Ljungqvist (Stockholms universitet): Kungaideologin i Sverris saga ("Royal Ideology in Sverris saga")

Maria Cristina Lombardi : The Travel of a Homily in Space and Time

Lars Lönnroth, (Göteborgs Universitet): Sverrir's Dreams

Emily Lyle (University of Edinburgh) : A Temporal Triad in Three Sagas

M

Rikke Malmros (Aarhus Universitet) : Kristne fyrsteskjaldes syn på samfundet

Teodoro Manrique (Universidad de Salamanca) : 'Vinr em ek vinar míns': Guðrún Gjúkadóttir in Gísla saga and Íslendinga saga

Tommaso Marani (Università di Roma, 'La Sapienza') : The Roman Itinerary of Nikulás of Munkaþverá: between Reality and Imagination

Edith Marold (Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel) : Tannhäuser im Norden?

Marteinn H. Sigurðsson (Háskóli Íslands) : The Fantastic Feats of Master Perus of Arabia

Inna Matyushina (Russian State University for the Humanities, Moscow) : The Fantastic in Riddarasögur

Bernadine McCreesh (Université de Québec á Chicoutimi) : Elements of the Pagan Supernatural in the Bishops' Sagas

Rory McTurk (University of Leeds) : Kings and kingship in Viking Northumbria

John Megaard (Oslo) : Hva skrev Snorri?

Stephen Mitchell (Harvard University) : Perceptions of the Supernatural and Other Elements of the Fantastic in the Fornaldarsögur

Jakub Morawiec (University of Silesia, Katowice): Vinða myrðir, Vinðum háttr: Viking Raids on the Territory of Slavs in the Light of Skaldic Poetry

Else Mundal (Universitetet i Bergen) : The Treatment of the Supernatural and the Fantastic in Different Saga Genres

N

Agneta Ney (University of Gävle) : Vatten som symbol och dikotomi i fornisländsk litteratur (The Edge of Water in Old Norse Literature)

O

Astrid E.J. Ogilvie (University of Colorado at Boulder) : Weather and Witchcraft in the Sagas of Icelanders ( with Gísli Pálsson)

Ólafía Einarsdóttir (Københavns Universitet) : The Venerable Bede: Father of the Western World's Chronology, and Grandfather of Icelandic Historical Writing

P

Carl Phelpstead (Cardiff University) : Historicizing Plausibility: The Anticipation of Disbelief in Oddr Snorrason's Óláfs saga Tryggvasonar

Cyril de Pins (Université de Paris 7, Denis-Diderot) : The Fantastical Theology of Snorri Sturluson: Something Strange about the Story…

Russell Poole (University of Western Ontario) : Counsel in Action in Hrafnkels saga

Edel Porter (University of Leeds) : Skaldic Poetry: Making the World Fantastic

Rosemary Power : Gaelic Love Tales in Iceland: a Case of Multiple Introduction?

Q

Judy Quinn (University of Cambridge) : The End of a Fantasy: Sôrla þáttr and the Rewriting of the Revivification Myth

R

Reynir Þór Eggertsson (University College London) : The Griselda Story: The Transformation from 'the Patient Griselda' to 'Grishildur the Good' in Icelandic Tradition

Jonjo Roberts (University of Leeds) : Religious Visions and Christian Rule in Old Icelandic Romance

Gunnhild Røthe (Universitetet i Oslo) : The Fictitious Figure of Þorgerðr Hölgabrúðr in the Saga Tradition

Philip Roughton (Stofnun Árna Magnússonar á Íslandi, Reykjavík) : 'Þa syndi hann þeim mikinn skugga': Unmasking the Fantastic in the Postola Sögur

Elizabeth Ashman Rowe : Helpful Danes and Pagan Irishmen: Saga Fantasies of the Viking Age in the British Isles

S

Giovanna Salvucci (University of Durham) : Between Heaven and Hell: the Konungasögur and the Emergence of the Idea of Purgatory

Christopher Sanders (Arnamagnæan Dictionary, Københavns Universitet) : Sturlaugs saga starfsama : Humour and Textual Archaeology

Jens Peter Schjødt (Aarhus Universitet) : The Notion of Berserkir and the Relation between Animals and Warriors

Jens Eike Schnall (Universität Bonn) : Rationalizing the Fantastic

Katja Schulz (Universität Göttingen / Universität Frankfurt am Main) : Trollweiber, Hundsköpfige und heidnische Priesterinnen in der Sturlaugs saga starfsama

Tatiana Shenyavskaya (Lomonosov State University, Moscow) : Mythological Accounts of Land-Taking in the Icelandic Conception of History

Rudolf Simek (Universität Bonn) : The Fantastic in Eddic Poetry and the Renaissance of the Twelfth Century (Plenary paper) - preprint of paper not supplied - please see abstract

Leszek P. Slupecki (University of Warsaw) : Facts and Fancy in Jómsvíkinga saga

Rolf Stavnem(Københavns Universitet) : Fremstillingen af det fantastiske i Eyrbyggja saga - preprint of paper not supplied - please see abstract

Gro Steinsland (Universitetet i Oslo) : Den Fantastiske Fremtiden ('The Fantastic Future')

Nichole Sterling (University of California, Berkeley) : The North Sea Triangle: Iceland, England, and the Negotiation of Norway in the Sagas

Svanhildur Óskarsdóttir (Háskóli Íslands) : Bede and his Disciples: The Development of Universal History in Iceland - preprint of paper not supplied - please see abstract

Ilya V. Sverdlov (Moscow State University) : Kenning Morphology: Towards a Formal Definition of the Skaldic Kenning, or Kennings and Adjectives

Sverrir Jakobsson (Háskóla Íslands, Reykjavík) : On the Road to Paradise. 'Austrvegr' in the Icelandic Imagination

T

Bernt Øyvind Thorvaldsen (Universitetet i Bergen) : Rethinking Eddic Orality Person and Performance in Völuspá and Hávamál

Clive Tolley : The Shamanic Seance Presented in the Historia Norwegiae

Torfi Tulinius (Háskóli Íslands, Reykjavík) : Is Snorri goði an Icelandic Hamlet? On Dead Daddies and Fragmented Heroism in Eyrbyggja saga

U

Úlfar Bragason (Stofnun Sigurðar Nordals, Reykjavík) : 'Ekki er mark at draumum': The Fantastic in Íslendinga saga

Jens Ulff-Møller (St. Johns University, Queens, New York) : The Gaelic Impact on Churches in Iceland and Greenland

Fjodor Uspenskij (Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow) : The Category of Affinity (Mágsemð) in the Old Norse Model of Family Relations

V

Vésteinn Ólason (Stofnun Árna Magnússonar á Íslandi, Reykjavík) : The Fantastic Element in the Íslendingasögur (Plenary paper) - preprint of paper not supplied - please see abstract

Vilmos Voigt (Budapest, Eötvös Loránd Tudományegyetem, Bölcsészettudományi Kar) : Skaldic poetry everywhere? (Is there any influence from skaldic poetry on literatures in other European languages?)

W

Herbert Wäckerlin (Universität Zurich) : The Silence of Sigurðr þögli - Vox Articulata, Vox Humana and Vox Animalia in Sigurðar saga þögla

Andrew Wawn (University of Leeds) : Whatever Happened to Úlfs saga Uggasonar?

Jonas Wellendorf (Universitetet i Bergen) : Visions and the Fantastic

Lars van Wezel (University of Leiden) : Myths to Play with: Bósa saga ok Herrauðs

Diana Whaley (University of Newcastle upon Tyne) : Skaldic Flexibility: Discourse Features in Eleventh-Century Encomia

Tarrin Wills (University of Sydney) : The Anonymous Verses in the Third Grammatical Treatise

Kendra Willson (University of California at Berkeley) : Króka-Refs saga as Science Fiction: Technology, Magic and the Materialist Hero

Kirsten Wolf (University of Wisconsin-Madison) : The Color Blue in Old Norse - Icelandic

Bryan Weston Wyly (Université de la Vallée d'Aoste) : 'Heita·sk hellor flióta hvatt sem korn á vatne': a Paradigm for Paradox in Kormákr Ôgmundarson's lausavísur

Y

Yelena Sesselja Helgadóttir (Yershova) (Háskóli Íslands, Reykjavík) : Draumvísur and draugavísur in Icelandic Sagas: The Border between Fantasy and Reality

Z

Anna Zanchi (University College London) : The Colour Green in Medieval Icelandic Literature: Natural, Supernatural, Symbolic?

Kristel Zilmer (University of Tartu) : Icelandic Sagas and the Narrative Tradition of Travelogue

Anton Zimmerling (Russian University of the Humanities, Moscow) : Hví fara heiðnir menn hér? Christian and Pagan Allusions in the Skaldic Poetry of the Thirteenth Century

Þ

Þorleifur Hauksson (Reykjavík Academy) : Sverris saga and Early Saga Style

...:D

Later,
-Lyfing

Lokasenna
11-17-2011, 08:53 PM
Hi, I'm trying to enter the site (University of Durkham) but I can't. Does anybody knows how to do or has the articles?
Thanks.

Logan
11-17-2011, 09:01 PM
An older, dead, link towards the lower end of this one.

http://www.dur.ac.uk/imrs/conferences/pastconferences/

Lothbroc
11-30-2011, 01:45 AM
Most of the papers can be reached through the wayback machine: http://web.archive.org/web/20090105111929/http://www.dur.ac.uk/medieval.www/sagaconf/sagapps.htm

Logan
12-01-2011, 02:16 AM
Most of the papers can be reached through the wayback machine: http://web.archive.org/web/20090105111929/http://www.dur.ac.uk/medieval.www/sagaconf/sagapps.htm

:thumb001: Þakka kærlega