PDA

View Full Version : Fleeing the US

Caismeachd
01-30-2013, 05:02 AM
I might literally need to flee the US soon and I am looking for any support/encouragement possible for me and my situation.

I have wracked up such debt and legal fees due to my back and leg injury that I am facing actual jail time unless I can pay thousands of dollars. Since I am a dual US EU citizen and am feeling healthy again. It might be for the best I just leave the US and become untouchable elsewhere and try to rebuild my life. I've talked to a lawyer and they actually suggested to me it might be the best thing I could do.

Before I injured my back and leg I did well in the sales and marketing industry and was beginning to flourish and succeed. With my injury I had to stop work, go into debt to pay living expenses, medical costs etc. There is no simple way to come out of a situation like this and it just builds and builds into more debt and legal issues (basically a debtors prison in the US). I was told that they would put me in jail for an entire year (they entire time debt continues to build) and I am just not the jail bird type. I am willing to take my chances elsewhere and think I may have to do so seriously soon.

I had wanted to move even when I was doing well but now I may have to just for basic survial. I am staying positive and keeping my head together these days. I need to make some critical decisions.

iNird
01-30-2013, 05:07 AM
You didn't have medical insurance or disability insurance to pay you while you were injured? How much debt are we talking about?

Atlantic Islander
01-30-2013, 05:19 AM
What about declaring bankruptcy?

Lena
01-30-2013, 05:19 AM
I might literally need to flee the US soon and I am looking for any support/encouragement possible for me and my situation.

I have wracked up such debt and legal fees due to my back and leg injury that I am facing actual jail time unless I can pay thousands of dollars. Since I am a dual US EU citizen and am feeling healthy again. It might be for the best I just leave the US and become untouchable elsewhere and try to rebuild my life. I've talked to a lawyer and they actually suggested to me it might be the best thing I could do.

What kind of lawyer is that?!? How about bankruptcy, is that an option? One of my close cousins went trough very complicated and extremely expensive medical procedure and she simply filed for a bankruptcy years ago... sure, it stays on your record, but better than going to Asia or South America in order to escape law.

Methmatician
01-30-2013, 05:22 AM
Whatever happened to that Obamacare? :bored:

Pontios
01-30-2013, 05:29 AM
Go back to Europe my friend.

Virtuous
01-30-2013, 05:32 AM
Encouragement?

btPJPFnesV4

tPISnnLhnhI

9jK-NcRmVcw

n4RjJKxsamQ

That's all I can do.

Caismeachd
01-30-2013, 05:39 AM
I didn't have insurance. I was 27 years old and working private contracted and commission based work. I didn't expect for something severe to happen to me that would put me down so bad at a young age.

Bankruptcy doesn't cover legal/punitive fees.

I don't and would never flee to south east Asia or South America. If I even just moved to UK again I wouldn't have to worry about it. I am not a federal criminal or something.

Pontios
01-30-2013, 05:41 AM
Whatever happened to that Obamacare? :bored:

Obamacare :lol:. That is just a joke. :picard2:

EagleAtHeart
01-30-2013, 07:10 AM
If you never plan on coming back to America, then why not? All credit agencies can do is sue you if you leave, and that judgement will have accrued interest over time, but that won't matter unless you step foot back into America.

Drawing-slim
01-30-2013, 07:26 AM
I don't understand this!? Onless you ow money to some mobsters with interest i don't see why your freedom is under threat?!
I've tons and tons of hospital bills over the years from using the emergency room for any problem since i have no health insurance.
I broke countless appartments and house leases over the years and i even ow IRS money, not a huge amount but cosiderable.

Now i keep getting random calls from bill collcetors and i just curse at them for dare waking me up at 3 in the afternoon.
Now you got me a little worried here:D

Good luck btw.

Caismeachd
01-30-2013, 07:27 AM
There's usually a grace period given. I can't remember but it's something like 7-20 years. But it may be different now and in the future.

I would love to find some place to settle and rebuild.

Caismeachd
01-30-2013, 07:29 AM
I don't understand this!? Onless you ow money to some mobsters with interest i don't see why your freedom is under threat?!
I've tons and tons of hospital bills over the years from using the emergency room for any problem since i have no health insurance.
I broke countless appartments and house leases over the years and i even ow IRS money, not a huge amount but cosiderable.

Now i keep getting random calls from bill collcetors and i just curse at them for dare waking me up at 3 in the afternoon.
Noe you got me a little worried here:D

I have legal fees. They're court fines due to debt problems. That's where the problems come in. Aside from the court fines I have other debts. Some states are different I guess. But they don't mess around.

EagleAtHeart
01-30-2013, 07:32 AM
Collection agencies are like parasites. I had a student loan go into collection. Since it was already in collection, and my credit ruined, I refused to pay it on principal. I was willing to wager a war, but the incessant calling drove me to defeat and I paid it a week later.

Caismeachd
01-30-2013, 08:44 AM
Collection agencies aren't a big deal. It's just when debts and fees get into legal fines stuff that you get into trouble. Legal fees are the problem. They are like a mafia. They keep increasing the debt and if you can't pay they will literally put you in jail while the debt keeps building and do that over and over where you have no hope of paying. You can't file bankruptcy for that. Actually when you file bankruptcy I think they charge about $2000 and thats goes to a court fee. That's the problem I'm having here. So fleeing is a better option. Even ethically I think it's the best option since all of these problems came after having a car accident that wasn't my fault and messing up my back and leg terribly for two years. No young guy should have to have his life completely ruined and be punished on top of that because of something like that.