PDA

View Full Version : Social life in your country

Nakios
02-14-2013, 10:56 PM
how do you usually spend a weekend in your country? about social life,night life etc,prefer relax, clubbing? or any other interesting places

Absinthe
02-14-2013, 10:58 PM
Working... :p

Just90
02-14-2013, 11:01 PM
My country is very big so it depends on area

But where I live it's really hot and sunny , many lakes , beach on both sides . So on weekends we go to the lake or beach . Water ski or just use the boat , golfing is very popular too . Tiger woods lives here and some other athletics
My city' is very touristic and popular too so the there's many nite clubs and shopping areas :)

It's fun a city :)

AlexandraD
02-14-2013, 11:02 PM
i won't go into like, huge detail and write a big post but part of uni culture in canada (at least in my prov.) is obviously drinking.

here we call thursdays 'thirsty thursdays' cuz for some reason thursday is the big drinking night. not just on campus but everywhere in my town, bars and clubs are open later, police cruise around more here (every thurs night downtown there are always just 5 or 6 cars, normally a coupled are parked right in the middle of town and others are just driving around), and there are always deals or 'special whatevers' as well.

i think it has to do with kids going home on fridays (end of the week), so everyone is here for thursday and it just came to that lol. alot of my friends are with their bf's tonight so im kinda bored, but me and my other roomies are gonna stay in and invite a couple of people over and just drink and hang out so its not all bad :)

Jackson
02-14-2013, 11:05 PM
Go to the pub, maybe for a walk or just generally out and about. Or stay in.

Pallantides
02-15-2013, 09:49 AM
Wrestling with bears.

Minesweeper
02-15-2013, 10:02 AM
I can only say about my town, there are lots of places and where do I go depends on how much money I have. If I have enough money, I might go to a fancy club or bar and that is like once or two times in a month.
Most of the time I don't have so much money so I go to a cheaper pub or outside for a walk or I stay home on TA chat box.

Nakios
02-15-2013, 09:14 PM
From which cities are you ?

Just90-Must be really good for water sports so :),over here I have to wakeboard in the sea,no lakes or rivers lol so its quite hard to build some speed or surface tricks :/

Alexandra-must be the feel good before the weekend :P what do you mean go home? during the week you live in uni?

larali
02-15-2013, 09:20 PM
If it's just me and hub without the kids, we'll go out and have a drink. If it's not too cold we might go to some bar on the beach. There are some clubs around here too, but we're getting too old for that. When I was younger that's pretty much what we did, go to clubs, go to the beach or hang out at someone's house.

Nakios
02-15-2013, 09:50 PM
Floridaa,must be nice :) Miami wow I wish to go there one day

Absinthe
02-16-2013, 09:36 AM

Athens, Greece :) I have an odd and crappy schedule, I work Friday-Saturday-Sunday-Monday mostly afternoon and sometimes Wednesday or Thursday too, so my "weekend" is week days where I can basically do nothing or meet no one because most people can't or won't go out on a Tuesday or Wednesday or there's nothing going on in town worth going out for.

Scholarios
02-16-2013, 10:05 AM
Since Greece is already represented here, and the U.S. is too diverse to talk about, I'll again mention Korea, where I currently live.

Koreans spend most of their social time on weekends (and weekdays) drinking heavily. Go out with close friends in large groups (5-15) and drinking at local "hofs" or bars that serve chicken, korean bbq, seafood, and bar "ponchon" or side dishes. Usually, one person pays for everyone.

Then there is Noraebang (singing room) known in the West by the Japanese term Karaoke. Koreans go to private rooms to do Karaoke and generally there is some snacks or drinks provided. Men often go to "sexy" noraebang where they also receive sexual favors from young girls. The sex industry is also pretty mainstream as a weekend activity in Seoul and Busan, as Korea is not an open society sexually yet.

And if you are a young couple dating, it is imperative that you spend the night in "Love Hotels". These Hotels usually run about 30-65 U.S. dollars a night and come with nice rooms, hot tubs, full theater system, snacks (free), sexual toys, and other surprises. They are quite comfortable and one of my favorite parts about Korea. Of course they exist because young Koreans usually live at home until their 30's and are presumed by parents to be virgins until marriage ha. These are also places for the sex industry, like in Japan.

Some Koreans go to night clubs, but it is still a rather new phenomenon limited to a few neighborhoods like Hongdae. They are similar to Western clubs. Generally though, the term "night club" was associated also with prostitution or compensated dating. "Booking Clubs" are similar dance clubs where men go in in a group, buy a large bucket of drinks for maybe 40-100 U.S. dollars and girls dance nearby (they get in free). The men then choose the girl they want, and someone goes and brings her to the table where the girl must talk with them. If they like them, they can go home together, or "compensate" them to like them. I can't really see the point in this, but Koreans seem to enjoy it and some of my Korean male friends are very defensive about it.

Otherwise, Korean weekend life is not too different from what you might expect. Oh, we sometimes go mountain climbing on weekends.

Nakios
02-16-2013, 01:22 PM
Absinthe-At least if its afternoon,you can afford to go out after? and also better than mornings :p,at least you have many places to go around in Athens,here theres nothing :( apo to profile sou katalavaino eisai Pao :tongue xaxa ?

Chiotis-LOL what a post,what I understood,it's ok to go to 'Sexy Karaoke' and 'Love Hotels' but it's still new to go to nightclubs ;),maybe thats why nightclubs are still new haha

Scholarios
02-16-2013, 01:27 PM
Absinthe-At least if its afternoon,you can afford to go out after? and also better than mornings :p,at least you have many places to go around in Athens,here theres nothing :( apo to profile sou katalavaino eisai Pao :tongue xaxa ?

Chiotis-LOL what a post,what I understood,it's ok to go to 'Sexy Karaoke' and 'Love Hotels' but it's still new to go to nightclubs ;),maybe thats why nightclubs are still new haha

Nakios. You got it right exactly. In Korea it is all about the impression or image of something. So going out in public and looking for sex is "bad" but enjoying it secretly in a sleazy hotel with a person who you don't know is fine!

Nakios
02-16-2013, 01:41 PM
makes a bit of sense haha,from which part of the peloponnese are you? I researched Nakios,they say it is from Mani ?

Scholarios
02-16-2013, 02:15 PM
My family is from Arkadia, a small village called Asea.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Nakios
02-16-2013, 02:56 PM
Asea,Nicee :) Thanks,not far away from Mani so :)

Comte Arnau
02-16-2013, 05:48 PM
The Iberian Peninsula is a world of its own when it comes to social nightlife, hard to explain if you haven't lived here. Not really comparable to that of any other place in Europe I've lived in or been to.

Nakios
02-17-2013, 07:40 PM
Yes Spain is also quite good,spanish love to party :D,I have been to Lloret del mar last year and a lot of other spanish cities

Han Cholo
02-17-2013, 07:41 PM
Monterrey Mexico is a fucking dead city. Just smoke pot at your friend's backyard.

Virtuous
02-17-2013, 07:42 PM
I'm afraid this video says it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gRule2VlifA

AlexandraD
02-17-2013, 08:13 PM

Just90-Must be really good for water sports so :),over here I have to wakeboard in the sea,no lakes or rivers lol so its quite hard to build some speed or surface tricks :/

Alexandra-must be the feel good before the weekend :P what do you mean go home? during the week you live in uni?

yes it does :) except if you have friday classes (but nobody really goes to them)(and you have to be smart like me to set up your schedule to avoid friday :P)

but yeah i mean most people stay for the weekend, normally i do as well, especially for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years who all have their own place. but there are some people who go back to their old town/family on fri, some weeks more than others, so thurs is when EVERYONE is around to party ;)

Comte Arnau
02-18-2013, 07:38 PM
Yes Spain is also quite good,spanish love to party :D,I have been to Lloret del mar last year and a lot of other spanish cities

It's not only that. Young people from everywhere love to party. But the ways are different because of weather and culture. In Northern Europe, you won't have that 'live the street' feeling. Most things are indoors. You go to a specific place to celebrate a specific party. There is hardly any improvisation. When you want to have a drink with a friend or colleague, it's as if you were setting an appointment with the dentist. There are pubs and discos but not that thing in between which is common in Spain. Not to mention that town festivals -with a few exceptions- simply don't exist. It's different.

AlexandraD
02-18-2013, 07:42 PM
It's not only that. Young people from everywhere love to party. But the ways are different because of weather and culture. In Northern Europe, you won't have that 'live the street' feeling. Most things are indoors. You go to a specific place to celebrate a specific party. There is hardly any improvisation. When you want to have a drink with a friend or colleague, it's as if you were setting an appointment with the dentist. There are pubs and discos but not that thing in between which is common in Spain. Not to mention that town festivals -with a few exceptions- simply don't exist. It's different.

most of that stuff does happen (esp. town festivals) - just it's planned for in the summer :)

Comte Arnau
02-18-2013, 07:55 PM
most of that stuff does happen (esp. town festivals) - just it's planned for in the summer :)

Rather than town festivals, what I've seen in the North are specific events celebrating a specific date, usually in the summer as you say. In Spain, every single little town has two patron saints, which mean those days are holidays but the parties celebrating them may well expand over the days before and after.

DJVT
02-18-2013, 08:03 PM
Oke in Holland its goes as follows.

20:00 Drinking Beer at one of my friends
Well mostly we do this :) but..... sometimes we go to club Panama when there is something nice going on there.

Nakios
02-18-2013, 10:43 PM
DJVT- islamsterdam haha

Arnau-yes I understand what your saying,spanish are spontaneous,there is that lively feeling,streets everyone is shouting,it's not only in spain :p,

Alexandra-better,so you have longer weekends to relax :rolleyes: from which city are you btw? I have a cousin who lives in Saint-catherines,Ontario I think lol

Jackson
02-19-2013, 01:38 AM
yes it does :) except if you have friday classes (but nobody really goes to them)(and you have to be smart like me to set up your schedule to avoid friday :P)

but yeah i mean most people stay for the weekend, normally i do as well, especially for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years who all have their own place. but there are some people who go back to their old town/family on fri, some weeks more than others, so thurs is when EVERYONE is around to party ;)

We go out mostly on Monday nights in my social group at uni. Startin' early!

AlexandraD
02-20-2013, 03:02 PM
Alexandra-better,so you have longer weekends to relax :rolleyes: from which city are you btw? I have a cousin who lives in Saint-catherines,Ontario I think lol

no way, you are greek rightt?? my greek friend lives in st. kitts, her name is courtney... ring any bells??

We go out mostly on Monday nights in my social group at uni. Startin' early!

yeah yeah YEAH jackson, i know all about the 'crew' you hang out with. mondays probably the only time youre not skint, bumming for quid and when you pick up your dole check :rolleyes:

just kidding :P of course :) but monday eh thats pretty interesting. but i guess you english are pretty crazy anyways! do people even go to class the next morning or is it just a no go?

Nakios
02-20-2013, 03:15 PM
Lol no Alexandra my cousin's a boy not a girl haha :p,also, it's better to think of it as continuing the weekend rather than starting early :thumb001:

Jackson
02-20-2013, 03:26 PM
no way, you are greek rightt?? my greek friend lives in st. kitts, her name is courtney... ring any bells??

yeah yeah YEAH jackson, i know all about the 'crew' you hang out with. mondays probably the only time youre not skint, bumming for quid and when you pick up your dole check :rolleyes:

just kidding :P of course :) but monday eh thats pretty interesting. but i guess you english are pretty crazy anyways! do people even go to class the next morning or is it just a no go?

Haha. xD

Yeah well it's 12am start so can sleep in till like 11. It's enough sleep. :P

Pontios
02-22-2013, 11:31 PM
Social Life: Horrible...
How I spent my weekends: Work, sleep, and being on here... and Church on Sundays of course.