PDA

View Full Version : What motivates you?

larali
02-25-2013, 05:45 PM
When I was a teenager, my aunt said to me, "Different things motivate different people. What motivates me is paying the bills. Some people may not agree with that, but that's what works for me."

As an adult I'd have to say that family motivates me more than anything else. Beyond that I'm struggling to find something that really gives me purpose in life.

So, what about you? Is there something that inspires you to do your best? What lights your fire and gives you the energy to make it through the day?

No wrong answers here as everyone is different.

Acquisitor
02-25-2013, 05:53 PM
Love, seeing nice things (for example sport cars), seeing smart and successful people, personal growth, all these and prolly other things motivate me to invest more into making more money.

Gathering knowlegde and earning money are two things which are a result of motivation and are quite fulfilling by themselves. Motivation leads to increased profits, increased profits leads to more motivation which in turn leads to increased profits and so on = that's a typical uptrend in my life. Downtrend is = lack of motivation due to not having a girlfriend who would motivate me, resulting in laziness, resulting in decreased profits, resulting in more laziness and so on. My simple life in a few sentences.

larali: why not start an ebay business and try to make it grow ?

The Alchemist
02-25-2013, 06:03 PM
Remembering that the present moment is all we have, and never forgetting it, coz it's all, really....

Caismeachd
02-28-2013, 02:36 AM
Right now I am motivated to improve my situation. I had a good career starting for me but had an awful back and leg injury that put everything on hold. Now I am motivated to bounce back and rebuild. I've already achieved a lot of my basic goals so now it's to save a decent amount of money.

RussiaPrussia
02-28-2013, 02:46 AM
nothing really motivates me but neither does something makes me depressive or something

Slycooper
02-28-2013, 02:48 AM
Sports.

arcticwolf
02-28-2013, 02:49 AM
At the moment responsibility that I have acquired before I knew what I really gotta do with life. I need to be around and play the rat game until the love of my life, my dogs pass away. Then I'm gonna spend the rest of my life meditating and developing my spiritual side. I have no greed, hardly any aversion, all I need to do is to uproot the remaining ignorance and I should be good to go. :P

Wise men say that people wise up and start doing what needs to be done when they really get tired of suffering, and I'm at that point now. Conscience won't let me leave my friends to their own devices, their welfare and quality of life depends on my efforts.

I'm tired of the bullshit of existence, I want out, I don't wanna be the slave of imaginary ego no more, and I know how to do it, I just need to fulfill my responsibilities in this life and then its down and dirty with the business of fucking ignorance up once and for all! LOL

Svipdag
I am motivated by insatiable curiosity. As a boy, I wanted to know EVERYTHING. Even though I know that it is impossible, I guess that I still do. Unless there is an afterlife, and I can find no convincing evidence that there is, my lifelong quest for ever more knowledge has been a colossal waste of time. Yet, it has given me great satisfaction.

"TRAHIT SVA QVEMQVE VOLVPTAS" - PVBLIVS VERGILIVS MARO

2012JD
People . I want to be better than anyone . I'm like really competitive lol , so when I see someone doing better than me , I want to do it 10x better

leisitox
02-28-2013, 02:53 AM
Nothing really motivates me so much, I just obey to responsabilities.
I just lay in my chair and be lazy, nothing too productive.

Oneeye
02-28-2013, 02:58 AM
I like a good challenge, because conquering it is such a satisfying reward. On the other hand, I am motivated by a sense of duty, particularly to family.

arcticwolf
02-28-2013, 03:22 AM
I like a good challenge, because conquering it is such a satisfying reward. On the other hand, I am motivated by a sense of duty, particularly to family.

Good. There you go:

One who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand on the battlefield.

rhiannon
02-28-2013, 03:27 AM
Family...for all the reasons larali mentions
Fear...because I don't want to hate myself when laying on my deathbed
Need for vindication....I want my existence in this world to have meant something

arcticwolf
02-28-2013, 03:43 AM
Family...for all the reasons larali mentions
Fear...because I don't want to hate myself when laying on my deathbed
Need for vindication....I want my existence in this world to have meant something

Oh sugar let the wise wolf mitigate your concerns. :P

Family is good, but enlightenment is better. Enlightenment is where the meat and potatoes of the sense of existence is. Work on you mind every second of this life. Be mindful. Be mindful. Be mindful of all that happens inside and outside of your mind, but emphasize what goes on inside. You are your own laboratory, you are it, you just don't know it yet. :P

Fear = False Expectations Appearing Real. Fear is not real, it's an illusion. It makes mind irrational. Leave fear behind it is not worth any attention.

There is no need to prove anything to anybody and especially to yourself. Your only task that matters is to understand reality, not the apparent nature of but its ultimate sense. As you progress on the path the ego which tells you that you must accomplish something dissipates for it's not real but an illusionary impediment on the path to enlightenment.

Aren't you glad you've asked the wise wolf to clear it up for you? :laugh:

Virtuous
02-28-2013, 03:54 AM
Nothing.

arcticwolf
02-28-2013, 03:59 AM
Nothing.

Only the wisest say this!

You are a very very wise man my friend, whether you know it or not! LOL

Incal
02-28-2013, 05:39 AM
Women inspire me a lot.

Farah
03-03-2013, 06:46 PM
Seeing people I know who are very regretful for not pursuing their aspiration when they younger and essentially living their life for the sake of surviving day-by-day rather than really living it out. I don't want to end up feeling like that by the time I'm middle-aged. Also to give back to my family & loved ones for everything they gave, it's a never-ending form of gratitude.

Virtuous
03-03-2013, 06:48 PM
Only the wisest say this!

You are a very very wise man my friend, whether you know it or not! LOL

Oh come on, just give the sarcasm a break!

Flintlocke
03-03-2013, 07:11 PM
My fury and my desire to conquer I guess.

And I especially like the fact that one day the human species will outbreed it's food producing capacity and massive famine, wars, diseases, etc will decimate the world population to a mere 1% of its current size.

Don Arb
03-03-2013, 07:18 PM
Naked women!

Kazimiera
03-03-2013, 08:50 PM
People are driven by only two things in life: inspiration and desperation.

99% of the time we are driven by desperation.

MissProvocateur
03-03-2013, 08:55 PM
First of all, as cheesy and stupid as it sounds, my boyfriend, we've been togehter for 3 years, and he has helped me more than anyone else in the world, even though I may never know if we'll still be together in the future, he's still someone who keeps me motivated. Besides that, I guess my thisrt for adventure, I've been overportected for as long as I can remember, and trying to break free from the chains they set upon me definetly keeps me motivated.

Though if you want to look deeper, I was never really motivated by anything, I just always moved with what people expected from me, as pathetic as it sounds.

alfieb
03-03-2013, 08:58 PM
Two words: Memento mori.

Philo
03-03-2013, 09:00 PM
Nothing motivates me, it's just that the alternative is so much worse than the current situation.

Two words: Memento mori.
Exactly.

Germanicus
03-18-2013, 10:51 PM
The motivation for me to swing my legs out of bed in the morning is the necessity to earn money, without it my living standards would be greatly reduced.
My pension and savings plans would be derailed.
My mortgage payments would not be paid and I would lose my home.