PDA

View Full Version : Downton Abbey; The British Empire as a marriage between Jewish finance and the British aristocracy.

Anglojew
04-15-2013, 07:42 AM
British social critic Hilaire Belloc described the British Empire as a partnership between Jewish finance and the British aristocracy. The marriage of Jewish finance and British aristocracy took place literally. Spendthrift gentry married the daughters of rich Jews. One may say that by the last third of the nineteenth century, they had become virtually identical.

An outstanding example is the marriage of the 5th Earl of Roseberry who married the only daughter and heiress of Baron Mayer de Rothschild and later became Prime Minister. “She stayed in the Jewish religion but her children were educated as Christians…The alliances between Jewish ladies and British lords are mostly of this type, the wife providing large sums…while the aristocrat has the title and ancient estate. The children are able to look back upon a varied bag of ancestors.

The excellent British period drama Downton Abbey actually documents this phenomena with the charater of Lady Cora Crawley originally the American heiress daughter of "Isidore Levinson, a dry goods multimillionaire from Cincinnati". Lady Crawley's fictional marriage to an English Earl mirrors many such historical marriages such as “Sybil Sassoon (who) was Jewish and British, although her mother was a French Rothschild,” and “She married the Marquess of Cholmondeley. And Lord Rosebery married an English Rothschild (http://www.timesofisrael.com/sorry-fans-no-yiddishkeit-at-downton-abbey/).”

http://www.jewcy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/downton.jpg

Issy
04-15-2013, 08:05 AM
I love love love Downton Abbey! I would highly recommend it :)

1stLightHorse
04-15-2013, 09:26 AM
A marriage of finance + aristocracy = ubermensch offspring.

Anglojew
04-15-2013, 10:22 AM
I love love love Downton Abbey! I would highly recommend it :)

Great show.

A marriage of finance + aristocracy = ubermensch offspring.

Yes. Perfection.

Arend
04-15-2013, 12:11 PM
Anglos, Jews, bad news……

Never really liked that show. Too snobby, too pretentious, too British. But each to his own

rhiannon
04-15-2013, 06:37 PM
British social critic Hilaire Belloc described the British Empire as a partnership between Jewish finance and the British aristocracy. The marriage of Jewish finance and British aristocracy took place literally. Spendthrift gentry married the daughters of rich Jews. One may say that by the last third of the nineteenth century, they had become virtually identical.

An outstanding example is the marriage of the 5th Earl of Roseberry who married the only daughter and heiress of Baron Mayer de Rothschild and later became Prime Minister. “She stayed in the Jewish religion but her children were educated as Christians…The alliances between Jewish ladies and British lords are mostly of this type, the wife providing large sums…while the aristocrat has the title and ancient estate. The children are able to look back upon a varied bag of ancestors.

The excellent British period drama Downton Abbey actually documents this phenomena with the charater of Lady Cora Crawley originally the American heiress daughter of "Isidore Levinson, a dry goods multimillionaire from Cincinnati". Lady Crawley's fictional marriage to an English Earl mirrors many such historical marriages such as “Sybil Sassoon (who) was Jewish and British, although her mother was a French Rothschild,” and “She married the Marquess of Cholmondeley. And Lord Rosebery married an English Rothschild (http://www.timesofisrael.com/sorry-fans-no-yiddishkeit-at-downton-abbey/).”

http://www.jewcy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/downton.jpg

I have watched the entire series to this point and did note no reference being made to the American Lady Cora as being Jewish. However, I did catch the name Levinson as her mothers' last name so it made me wonder if she was in fact, Jewish. Your post helped clear that all up lol...thanks!

It is a fantastically well-done series for anyone that is thinking of watching it, BTW

Anglojew
04-16-2013, 01:34 AM
Anglos, Jews, bad news……

Never really liked that show. Too snobby, too pretentious, too British. But each to his own

Too British lol

Would you rather Inspector Rex?

Anglojew
04-16-2013, 01:38 AM
I have watched the entire series to this point and did note no reference being made to the American Lady Cora as being Jewish. However, I did catch the name Levinson as her mothers' last name so it made me wonder if she was in fact, Jewish. Your post helped clear that all up lol...thanks!

It is a fantastically well-done series for anyone that is thinking of watching it, BTW

Yes, it's good. It's a pity that Dan Stevens who plays Matthew Crawley doesn't want to do another season.

derLowe
04-16-2013, 05:32 AM
I watched a few episodes, it is not my cup of tea.

Arend
04-16-2013, 09:01 AM
Too British lol

Would you rather Inspector Rex?It’s Austrian. German (and also Dutch) TV is really badly made for the most part, but that doesn’t mean that I have to like a British Soap Opera about some early 20th century snobs.

Anglojew
04-16-2013, 09:12 AM
I watched a few episodes, it is not my cup of tea.

It’s Austrian. German (and also Dutch) TV is really badly made for the most part, but that doesn’t mean that I have to like a British Soap Opera about some early 20th century snobs.

Yeah the British class structure is weird. Is class as defined in Germany?

Arend
04-16-2013, 09:53 AM
Yeah the British class structure is weird. Is class as defined in Germany?
We certainly never had this “cast system” like in Britain, not even during the time of the Industrial Revolution. While the simple life of a common worker was certainly harsh, they still had more much more rights than in Britain at that time (Bismarck’s social reforms etc.) In the 1918, the nobility lost all their remaining privileges and their titles, and after the Second World War the West German society was a largely middle class society, although today there is a trend that middle class is slowly worn down between the new precariat and the elites. Coming from an area that is largely middle class and upper middle class, all of this seems so very odd to me, not only the social structure but also the morality. I didn’t see that much of that show, but I think that there was one girl that wad engaged to a pretty normal hard-working guy, but when she got the chance she dumped him for an older, richer noble.