PDA

View Full Version : Vienna versus Prague

Corvus
07-25-2013, 08:20 AM
Which town would you rather visit?
Or have you been to both towns? In this case which did you like better?
Vote

Trun
07-25-2013, 08:22 AM
I have been to both and both are the most beautiful cities I have visited. And I have been in 12 countries so I'm serious about their beauty.

Corvus
07-25-2013, 08:27 AM
I have been to both and both are the most beautiful cities I have visited. And I have been in 12 countries so I'm serious about their beauty.

I agree, both towns are definitly worth a visit with lots of art nouveau buildings and palaces.
And also kind of similar due to the Austrian Monarchy influence. Prague is more mediaval though.

Loki
07-25-2013, 08:31 AM
Vienna, hands down.

Corvus
07-25-2013, 08:31 AM
Here is a good summery I found by someone who visited both cities:

Both cities are nice. Prague and Vienna shares common history lasting 300 years, so architecture, styles, and behavior, and rules are inherited from that era. Prague is medieval city, which is well preserved and has many romanesque, gothic, and renaiisance buildings giving you feel of vanished middle age civilization. Vienna has splendid 19th century boulevards and buildings to remind you that in the 19th century it was the 4th largest city in the world. Prague has ugly communist suburbs, and Vienna postwar reconstruction areas, where many of the parts were bombed out. When it comes to cleanlinesses both are equal, down-town of Vienna is more exclusive, but when you get out of from train stations like Westbahnhof and Sudbahnhof, it is run down and outright dirty. Vienna over the 20 years became dirtier and more run down and Prague cleaner.
Czech are more friendlier than Austrians, but they do not like to be bothered. In Czech you can do whatever you like, and as long you do not put right into faces of people, they would not care about anything. If you strike out conversation, Czech are more genuine. Austrians are well known in Europe for being rude and unpleasant. Services are similar in both places, but Vienna can be bad from unfriendly waiters to clerks, and very slow in Prague. Vienna has lower murder rate than Prague, but Prague is still safer than Stockholm or Berlin. However, Vienna is overrun by Middle Eastern population and it is more Istanbul than Europe. In the city center there are Turks and other constantly soliciting and if you do not buy something from them, they can attack you. The worst can happen to you, is getting pickpocketed in Prague. Night life is better in Prague, there are dozens of places you can go and have fun, from alternative music to techno to gay bars to jazz to whatever you like. Drinking and partying is cheap in Prague and beer is cheaper there than coke.

Vienna is one the most expensive cities in the world and also has higher living standard and income than Prague. Taxes and general goods are high and making many things outright expensive in comparison to Czech, Germany or USA. But the shopping is easier in Prague due having large malls on the city outskirts that are opened everyday through the year. Vienna on Sunday is a dead city and you will be wondering around to find a place to eat. Except American franchises, you are out of luck. This is the main problem for any visitors in Vienna.

Other advantage of Vienna is being on the outskirt of the Alps, so you can go to mountains any times. Bohemian countryside is hilly and wonderful for hiking and cross county skiing, but it cannot beat the Alps. Prague has great advantage to be closer to Germany making easy access to Berlin, Munich, Nuremberg and Vienna. Vienna due is eastern proximity is fairly remote to visit other places in Central Europe, and near nice city is Budapest.

If you have considerable medical issues, I would suggest Vienna. In Czech you will need health insurance and the health care is no free. Either way, consider your income option first. Foreigner salary will take you farther in Prague, but in Vienna you can work in much western environment with European attitude. Any case, both places have pros and cons and its is up to you, where you will feel more comfortable

Methmatician
07-25-2013, 08:50 AM
Prague.

curiousman
07-25-2013, 06:41 PM
I have visited both and I liked them both

Corvus
07-25-2013, 06:44 PM
I want more opinions people and please vote.
This thread is important for me

Libertas
07-25-2013, 06:53 PM
Vienna is better but Hungarian capital Budapest beats both.

CrystalMaiden
07-25-2013, 06:58 PM
Vienna, hands down.

This.

arcticwolf
07-25-2013, 06:59 PM
Prague. I've been to Prague, never been to Vienna.

Prague for obvious reasons, I can understand the language and the culture is pretty much the same. There is a mental connection there for me. Vienna on the other hand is in foreign land and culture, no matter how pretty it is, no connection to there for me.

CrystalMaiden
07-25-2013, 07:00 PM

Prague for obvious reasons, I can understand the language and the culture is pretty much the same. There is a mental connection there for me. Vienna on the other hand is in foreign land and culture, no matter how pretty it is, no connection to there for me.

You just jelly of the Gothic ingenuity.

Corvus
07-25-2013, 07:02 PM

I understand your point of view, but Vienna is more Slavic than you think. Not only because of approx. 400.000 Serbs, also because of hundredthousands of assimilated Czechs.

arcticwolf
07-25-2013, 07:06 PM
You just jelly of the Gothic ingenuity.

Yes love I am. If it was as beautiful as you are I may take a chance and visit Gothlandia. Miracles do happen, if you get my drift! LOL

CrystalMaiden
07-25-2013, 07:08 PM
Yes love I am. If it was as beautiful as you are I may take a chance and visit Gothlandia. Miracles do happen, if you get my drift! LOL

Oh you Poles :D

arcticwolf
07-25-2013, 07:08 PM
I understand your point of view, but Vienna is more Slavic than you think. Not only because of approx. 400.000 Serbs, also because of hundredthousands of assimilated Czechs.

You being native have a much better idea than I do. It was just a guess on my part. As I said, never been to Vienna, in pictures it looks like a beautiful town.

arcticwolf
07-25-2013, 07:09 PM
Oh you Poles :D

I know. You love us anyhow! :P

Veneda
07-25-2013, 07:15 PM

This.

Permafrost
07-25-2013, 07:33 PM
Vienna is impressive, Vienna is majestic... If you just look at the city, there are marvels of architecture as far as the eye can see. Generally, my favourite architectural style is Greek revival, so I enjoyed Hohes Haus very much.
+ Everything is so clean, you can basically eat from the floor

Prague on the other hand is... different. The city is kinda on a smaller scale, streets being narrower, buildings not as tall... however everything is so vivid and colorful, bustling with life. And due to the Vltava and the multitude of bridges it kinda gave off a much greater romantic vibe. I also felt more at home there, and I liked the people more than the Viennese. So I voted Prague.

Keep in mind though that during my visit to both cities I got hammered so much it's a wonder I remember anything at all.

Corvus
07-25-2013, 07:39 PM
Vienna is impressive, Vienna is majestic... If you just look at the city, there are marvels of architecture as far as the eye can see. Generally, my favourite architectural style is Greek revival, so I enjoyed Hohes Haus very much.
+ Everything is so clean, you can basically eat from the floor

Prague on the other hand is... different. The city is kinda on a smaller scale, streets being narrower, buildings not as tall... however everything is so vivid and colorful, bustling with life. And due to the Vltava and the multitude of bridges it kinda gave off a much greater romantic vibe. I also felt more at home there, and I liked the people more than the Viennese. So I voted Prague.

Keep in mind though that during my visit to both cities I got hammered so much it's a wonder I remember anything at all.

Ofc as a tourist you perceive Vienna as very clean and well managed. The first district and tourist attractions are indeed, no doubt about that. It also offers a great cultural heritage as you rightly observed with lots of art noveau buildings, bridges and palaces.
Nevertheless it tends to be run down in the peripherial districits, which is a pity. This is the other site of Vienna.
But ofc this can apply to every major town including Prague, which is nevertheless a kind of more relaxed town. Not so chaotic as Vienna also trafficwise.

bella1407
07-25-2013, 08:34 PM
Vienna.

Don Arb
07-25-2013, 09:51 PM
Vienna for me is the cultural capital of Europe, Prague, Budapest and all other cities who were under Habsbourg monarchy are just copy of Vienna.

Incal
07-25-2013, 10:28 PM
That's a no brainer: Prague.

Veneda
07-25-2013, 10:45 PM
I never been to Vienna, only visited Prague. The first impression was that it reminded me Cracow. I do not think that Vienna, even if I visit it, would give me the same feeling.

Don Arb
07-25-2013, 10:46 PM
That's a no brainer: Prague.

Who build the city architecture as it is now?:picard2:

Wolf
08-13-2013, 06:29 PM
Which town would you rather visit?

Vienna

Taste an "Einspänner" and you know why. ;)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1e/Einspaenner.jpg

Who build the city architecture as it is now?

Mostly Germans.

Incal
08-13-2013, 07:22 PM
Who build the city architecture as it is now?:picard2:

Dunno, but it's nicer in Prague.

Now, if we add the Beer + the Women then Vienna can't stand a fucking chance.