PDA

View Full Version : Van Gogh's Starry night

Äike
10-12-2013, 09:00 PM
What do you think about the painting? For some reason I quite like it and I am thinking of buying it to decorate my living room.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ea/Van_Gogh_-_Starry_Night_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg/757px-Van_Gogh_-_Starry_Night_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

Shah-Jehan
10-12-2013, 09:02 PM
It looks quite nice, the stars and the moon are in a melodious pattern enhancing the night's majestic beauty...

Jackson
10-12-2013, 09:06 PM
I don't really like it. Looks too 'stylised' and the style of painting is not very nice. But that's my opinion. I find this style much better:

http://www.canvaz.com/instock/instock-1029.jpg

Smaug
10-12-2013, 09:08 PM
I like it, it's my favourite Van Gogh's painting.

Äike
10-12-2013, 09:17 PM
I don't really like it. Looks too 'stylised' and the style of painting is not very nice. But that's my opinion. I find this style much better:

If I want to see nature, I just step out of my home, Estonia is 50% forest and our well-preserved nature and wildlife is well-known across Europe. Thus having a painting of nature and trees would be a bit dull :P

Jackson
10-12-2013, 09:23 PM
If I want to see nature, I just step out of my home, Estonia is 50% forest and our well-preserved nature and wildlife is well-known across Europe. Thus having a painting of nature and trees would be a bit dull :P

True. I can see the same myself after a 10 minute walk, but i think paintings like that make a nice halfway mark between reality and non-reality. It's clearly a painting and some things are left out, other's emphasized and of course it is not as sharp or detailed as the real thing, but you can appreciate it in a similar way.Van Gogh's painting strikes me as over-stylized and very imaginary. Like the houses are proportionally incorrect and the church is at a funny angle, making it look a bit abstract. Although i'll grant you, it's much much better in my opinion than a lot of modern art, where some canny guy has just drawn a few boxes, or draws a border around a blank page and sells it for thousands. :P

Äike
10-12-2013, 09:27 PM
Starry Night Composition

The night sky depicted by van Gogh in the Starry Night painting is brimming with whirling clouds, shining stars, and a bright crescent moon. The setting is one that viewers can relate to and van Gogh´s swirling sky directs the viewer´s eye around the painting, with spacing between the stars and the curving contours creating a dot-to-dot effect. These internal elements ensure fluidity and such contours were important for the artist even though they were becoming less significant for other Impressionists. Thus Starry Night´s composition was distinct from the Impressionist technique of the 19th century.

The artist was aware that his Starry Night composition was somewhat surreal and stylized and in a letter to his brother he even referred to "exaggerations in terms of composition. " The vivid style chosen by van Gogh was unusual - he chose lines to portray this night scene when silhouettes would have been a more obvious choice.

In Starry Night contoured forms are a means of expression and they are used to convey emotion. Many feel that van Gogh´s turbulent quest to overcome his illness is reflected in the dimness of the night sky. The village is painted with dark colors but the brightly lit windows create a sense of comfort. The village is peaceful in comparison to the dramatic night sky and the silence of the night can almost be felt in Starry Night. The steeple dominates the village and symbolizes unity in the town. In terms of composition, the church steeple gives an impression of size and isolation.

In the left foreground is a curvy cypress tree which is typically associated with mourning. It is painted in the same way as the sky with fluid lines which enhances the flow of the Starry Night painting well as its easiness on the eye.

Starry Night Use of color

Van Gogh´s choice of color in Starry Night has been much debated, particularly the dominance of yellow in this and other late works. Some believe van Gogh may have been suffering from lead poisoning or a type of brain disease and that this explains his strange use of color in later paintings.

Van Gogh's use of white and yellow creates a spiral effect and draws attention to the sky. Vertical lines such as the cypress tree and church tower softly break up the composition without retracting from the powerful night sky depicted in Starry Night.

Vincent van Gogh´s choice of dark blues and greens were complemented with touches of mint green showing the reflection of the moon. The buildings in the centre of the painting are small blocks of yellows, oranges, and greens with a dash of red to the left of the church. The dominance of blue in Starry Night is balanced by the orange of the night sky elements.

Van Gogh paints the rich colors of the night and this corresponds with the true character of this Starry Night, whereby colors are used to suggest emotion.

Starry Night Use of Light

Van Gogh´s passion for nighttime is evident in the Starry Night painting, where the powerful sky sits above the quiet town. It seems that van Gogh is contrasting life and death with luminous stars and a gloomy, peaceful village. The main light sources are the bright stars and crescent moon.

Starry Night Mood, Tone and Emotion

There are various interpretations of Starry Night and one is that this canvas depicts hope. It seems that van Gogh was showing that even with a dark night such as this it is still possible to see light in the windows of the houses. Furthermore, with shining stars filling the sky, there is always light to guide you. It seems that van Gogh was finally being cured of his illness and had essentially found his heaven. He also knew that in death he would be at peace and further portrays this by using bold colors in the Starry Night painting.

In a letter to his brother, Theo, van Gogh comments: "I should not be surprised if you liked the Starry Night and the Ploughed Fields, there is a greater quiet about them than in the other canvases. " Later in the letter he makes reference to Leo Tolstoys book My Religion and its lack of belief in resurrection. Such fleeting mentions of religion echoed van Goghs feelings towards the subject at this time; he could neither forget it nor totally accept it. Despite this, his use of the word 'quiet' and reference to Tolstoys book indicates that the night sky made him feel calm and brought to mind eternity.

Starry Night shows the vast power of nature and the church spire and cypress tree - representing man and nature - both point to the heavens.

Starry Night Brushstroke

In Starry Night van Gogh´s unique, thick brush strokes are very much obvious and it´s possible that his severe attacks further dramatized his brush work. However, there is a consistency to his technique that adds even more depth as well as a rich texture to this work of art.

http://www.artble.com/artists/vincent_van_gogh/paintings/starry_night/more_information/analysis

Lena
10-12-2013, 09:30 PM

Post impressionism and realism are both nice.

I don't mind Starry Night, although for it I'd go with mosaic, it looks outstanding.

http://www.del-lighting.com/VanGogh_Starry_night__Mosaic.JPG

Roy
10-12-2013, 09:31 PM
True. I can see the same myself after a 10 minute walk, but i think paintings like that make a nice halfway mark between reality and non-reality. It's clearly a painting and some things are left out, other's emphasized and of course it is not as sharp or detailed as the real thing, but you can appreciate it in a similar way.Van Gogh's painting strikes me as over-stylized and very imaginary. Like the houses are proportionally incorrect and the church is at a funny angle, making it look a bit abstract. Although i'll grant you, it's much much better in my opinion than a lot of modern art, where some canny guy has just drawn a few boxes, or draws a border around a blank page and sells it for thousands. :P

Oh well. Van Gogh's art has been called by Art historians the first Expressionistic - like, because of how influential it was for succeeding artists with his aggresive technique. This work of art is vibrant from circulating wind expressed in explicit way.

Maleficent
10-21-2013, 03:55 AM
It's a great idea. I'd love to have a copy of Starry Night in my house one day myself. The best painting by Van Gogh.

Querubín
10-24-2013, 10:46 AM
Van Gogh is my favorite painter for his technique. I love the way you draw. But, you can not appreciate that in a vulgar copy. You have to see his paintings live to really enjoy it. On the other hand, every house decor should always have a sense. Which can be easily broken by a painting of van gogh. Me in my house I have many pictures, looks like a museum, and we had to decorate it with great care. If you buy a copy, you should know that you do a very risky bet.

Querubín
10-24-2013, 10:47 AM
It's a great idea. I'd love to have a copy of Starry Night in my house one day myself. The best painting by Van Gogh.

I prefer some of his self-portraits

Drawing-slim
10-24-2013, 11:23 AM
It's almost like You can live his level of depression staring at his paintings. A very depressed mind that strove for simplicity and comfort. His paintings of the peasants laying in the field relaxing under the sun is something very special as well.

Rudel
10-24-2013, 11:33 AM
I prefer his Nuit étoilée sur le Rhône.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/94/Starry_Night_Over_the_Rhone.jpg

But yeah, the paintings he's made in Provence towards the end of his life, may it be in Saint-Rémy like OP's or in Arles like this one, are his bests.

Jeanne Calment, who's the longest living person ever recorded (born in 1875 and died in 1997) apparently met him in her youth (she's from Arles). Makes one wonder.

That's so cheesy. I call those the toilets paintings, because that's where I'd put them.

If it's only for landscapes, I'd rather have some Gellée or Turner.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/77/Gellée2.jpg

Äike
10-24-2013, 02:59 PM
Van Gogh is my favorite painter for his technique. I love the way you draw. But, you can not appreciate that in a vulgar copy. You have to see his paintings live to really enjoy it. On the other hand, every house decor should always have a sense. Which can be easily broken by a painting of van gogh. Me in my house I have many pictures, looks like a museum, and we had to decorate it with great care. If you buy a copy, you should know that you do a very risky bet.

The Starry night is a very nocturnal painting and describes me well.

Also, I don't about vulgar copies, but over here, certain machines can make practically identical copies from the paintings. I studied art and art history in upper secondary school and learnt about all art from the stone age to the 20th century thus I know all art styles quite well.

Kazimiera
10-24-2013, 03:05 PM
I love this cake! Birthday cake for Karl. :)

http://www.cakespy.com/storage/post-images/26238_1337608653323_1624335213_793843_792431_n.jpg ?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1272246495993

Kazimiera
10-24-2013, 03:13 PM
Karl's wedding cake! :)

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4102/4884086240_e9187150b8_z.jpg

Querubín
10-24-2013, 03:55 PM
The Starry night is a very nocturnal painting and describes me well.

Also, I don't about vulgar copies, but over here, certain machines can make practically identical copies from the paintings. I studied art and art history in upper secondary school and learnt about all art from the stone age to the 20th century thus I know all art styles quite well.

The question is not whether the painting describes you or not. It is if it fits well with the rest of the decor. For example, if your furniture is baroque, a painting of this kind will squeak. However, other décor can have a very good result. That's all I'm saying. You must consider where you will place the painting.

And? All my life I've been associated with all kinds of art ( historians , painters , sculptors , restorers ... ) . I even helped in technical research since I was very young. I can assure you that what you have learned , it has nothing to do with what you know a professional art . And I can also assure you that a copy made by a machine produces a much smaller effect on the viewer because it collects a lot of nuances that can only give a man because it's like seeing a photo . And the effect that produces a live picture , does not produce in photography . Further, there are nuances that even a skilled copyist in an artist can capture . I understand that a copy industry is cheap , but you must not forget what I'm saying. If you like the work and see that you can be right in your room , buy it . But you can not forget that not only be a copy of a good deed, it will generate a good effect.

larali
10-24-2013, 04:04 PM

That's something I envy about Estonia, and I'm not joking. I love nature.

As far as the painting goes, it's alright, not my style personally but I think it would be nice in a bedroom.

Äike
10-24-2013, 05:28 PM
The question is not whether the painting describes you or not. It is if it fits well with the rest of the decor. For example, if your furniture is baroque, a painting of this kind will squeak. However, other décor can have a very good result. That's all I'm saying. You must consider where you will place the painting.

I mostly have IKEA furniture (especially my kitchen which is 100% IKEA). My living room has a IKEA couch, a bookcase that I restored, a 46-inch Samsung LED TV and a fireplace.

I live in a renovated old wooden building that's under protection (I can't change the 80-year old wooden floor, the old windows, the old doors etc), there's a lot of white in my apartment. The walls, radiators and the windows frames are white + the wooden floor is light. The "dark" painting would be like a contrast :P

Querubín
10-24-2013, 06:14 PM
I mostly have IKEA furniture (especially my kitchen which is 100% IKEA). My living room has a IKEA couch, a bookcase that I restored, a 46-inch Samsung LED TV and a fireplace.

I live in a renovated old wooden building that's under protection (I can't change the 80-year old wooden floor, the old windows, the old doors etc), there's a lot of white in my apartment. The walls, radiators and the windows frames are white + the wooden floor is light. The "dark" painting would be like a contrast :P

With ikea fornitures, maybe yes. But i need to see pics to can judge

LouisFerdinand
02-17-2018, 02:36 AM
The blue has a nice intenseness about it which makes it eye-catching.