Blog Comments

Talking about Extremadura, we can always imagine parallel routes to the future. For example, if we go back to the early start of Portugal as an independent kingdom, we should understand that for our first king, his son and grandson, the Algarve wasn’t really the aim of the struggle for the south. Our fist king, who was a ruthless warrior, conquered himself most of Alentejo (say most of Portugal) and made a few drives to the Algarve which was a Moorish stronghold with a vibrant economy but his main interest was nowadays Extremadura and western Andalusia in special the city of Seville. It’s been Portuguese territory for some time Caceres, Trujillo, Montanchez and Santa Cruz.

Disaster stroke during the campaign for the conquest of Badajoz, one of his "field generals" Geraldo Geraldes "The Fearless", needed reinforcements. When the king went to reinforce the siege of the city, it was then that the Portuguese were surprised by the unexpected arrival of a Leonese army, commanded by Fernando II of León, his son-in-law who had allied with the Muslims. It was necessary to retreat and the king seriously injured his knee and broke his leg in one of the gates of the city, having been taken prisoner. To be released ransom had to be paid and all lands previously conquered had to be surrendered. The curious thing is that after this incident the king, who at the time was 60 years old, became lame and stopped to be directly involved in fighting the Moors. Had this been his greatest military error. Thus, the buffer zone which intended defend the march on Seville was definitely lost. About 20 years later the Kingdom of León joined Castile and gained great impetus to the conquest of the southern strongholds, including Seville.
    But our aims for Seville didn't stop with the Castillan/Leonese drive south, Until the last moment we went there in raid by land and up the Guadalquivir.

The king wasn’t worried with the Algarve because he knew that once Seville taken, the Algarve would fall easily after a few time and without a major campaign.
    This could have led to a different reality.

Nice reading in this issue:
    Yes, that is correct, just as there is an Astur-Liones dialect in Northeastern Portugal and some dialects in Alentejo near Extremadura, notably Barranquenho.

[IMG]http://robertlindsay.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/languages-of-sw-europe.gif[/IMG]
    What about Extremadura? I thought there were Portuguese speakers in the west of that region?
    Interesting video, I didn't know that. As for the name, the most logical one would be "Galiza" or "Galecia", it was us who splited from them after all.
    Very good post, very interesting "conducting line" to the past. In what concerns with what it might have been if we had never been separated from our northern brothers, as you stated, I also guess it doesn't matter much now.

This is IT:

I would never call it "Greater Portugal" as Albion did because it might be offensive for Galicians, Leonese and Asturians but I have no doubt that this ones in particular have a common backgroud with us.

There is this "new" theory on the reasons why we got splitted from Gallaecia, check it out here:

[YOUTUBE]DUpYnCvS9Cw[/YOUTUBE]

I know UTube isn't a good source but anyway, it's just a view point that may even be right.
    Updated 06-18-2012 at 03:36 PM by Catrau
    Don't know if it makes sense now, but if that was their choice I wouldn't oppose it..but I don't oppose an Iberian Union either.
    Would you be in favour of Galicia and the remaining Leonese speaking areas joining Portugal in a kind of "Greater Portugal"?
    It was just a random thought..historically and ethnically it didn't make much sense to separate Portugal from Galicia (and León), it was just a strong move made by a greedy and ambicious man - the first king of Portugal - who was, no doubt, very successful in his military campaigns against both Christians and Muslim neighbours.
    Good post, but what was that part about staying with Leon about?