Blog Comments

[QUOTE=calxpal;bt1528]Good read! An interesting subject.

Out of interest and confusion I did want to mention that I was taught French when I was 2-3 years old and apparently retained it ok for a few years but then completely forgot all of it and lost all my skills ): does anyone have an explanation or likely reason for this?[/QUOTE]

The phenomenon you're describing is known as language attrition, where a person loses proficiency in a language they once knew. 'Language attrition' describes the loss of, or changes to, grammatical and other features of a language as a result of declining use by speakers who have changed their linguistic environment and language habits.

[url]https://www.researchgate.net/publication/303895744_Language_Attrition#:~:text='Language%20attrition'%20describes%20the%20loss,linguistic%20environment%20and%20language%20habits[/url].
    Good read! An interesting subject.

Out of interest and confusion I did want to mention that I was taught French when I was 2-3 years old and apparently retained it ok for a few years but then completely forgot all of it and lost all my skills ): does anyone have an explanation or likely reason for this?