Blog Comments

I should also mention that you were never Franks nor Occitans...

The Counts of Barcelona were vassals of the Carolingian Empire, but not even considered Carolingians. Which is why Catalonia maintained for a long time one of the harshest feudal systems in the whole of Europe, where men and beasts were sold or retained equally with the land. And that made a difference with the rest of the territories of the old Visigothic Kingdom of SPAIN, especially with Castile where men were free and in many instances they could even choose their nobleman and depose him.

However, this was true only for the County of Barcelona. The Pyrenaic counties were different and as such more in line with the rest of the Spanish territories.

As for Occitans, not only Catalonia was never part of Occitania but Occitania was never a one unitary people...more so if according to your views where language matters most, since e.g. Gascon and Provenzal are different enough from each other.

But don't worry, your little world is not going to crumble just like that. In fact you'll be safe while you stay within the boundaries of the internet.
    I can see how mentioning Romanian and Andalusian gypsies, while at the same time ignoring Catalan gypsies, can be all convenient if your agenda is to show that gypsies are "a problem" that's been imported from other parts...especially from other parts of Spain (Andalucia).

However, it is not easy to sweep under the carpet of oblivion gypsies like Pere Pubill Calaf, with family names that are unmistakably Catalan, nor others like the Gypsie clans/families Aiguader (Girona), Cantarell (Barcelona), or Pusal (Tarragona) just to name a few.

So where's the difference? Interestingly enough in the 18th century Gypsies in Catalonia do not pose the same problem as in the rest of Spain as they were fairly integrated within the Catalan society. That is to say that they had been at least partly assimilated.

Not surprising if we observe how Catalan independentists (like yourself) understand Catalan identity and ethnicity: solely on the basis of language. That is, anyone who speaks Catalan is a Catalan...

In fact, haven't you stated that you prefer "a Riffian (a North African Berber) who speaks Catalan to a Castilian who refuses to learn it"?

Why not! After all that's been central to Catalan pro-independence policies...assimilation through language learning. Which is why Muslim immigration has been promoted in Catalonia, in the hope that they'd learn and speak Catalan instead of Castilian. And why Catalan independentist leaders have gone begging for the vote of Muslims to their mosques.

What an open-minded people! someone might say. Fine, but then again, why go into forums to cry about it and, worse, pretend that it's someone else's fault?

Indeed Romanticism did for the Catalan identity...it created a fake one and buried the real. If you don't like that you only have yourself (and the likes of you) to blame for it.

Live with it.
    So much for a "Catalan" tradition that was originally called ball dels valencians (Dance of Valencians), attesting its Valencian origins.

In line with the institution of la Sardana as the "all-Catalonia" traditional dance, nevermind that its name indicates its origin which was circumscribed to the small county of La Cerdanya, instead of taking la Jota which was more extended throughout Catalonia but also among the rest of the Spanish regions.

What a fraud..
    Interessant. Consideres el Ticino un país, Apina? Et sents suís? O més aviat norditalià?
    Una anotació molt interessant - m'ha agradat molt A vegades em sento el mateix - normalment quan jo dic que sóc de Ticino, la majoria de la gent no sap res d'aixo. Ni saben molt sobre el meu país!
    Bluddy Hell. Well done to the Castellers de Vilafranca!
    Similar sentiments here, Bata. We're always overshadowed by our much more fashionable neighbours - the Irish and the Scots. Someone once told me that it's because we're the quiet Celts and that we just get on with the job in protecting our language and culture.
    wow, so they're a bit like the mermaids of European mythology and those one's in German rivers which I can't remember the name of.
    These must be based on an underlying pan-European mythology.
    Wonderful!
    I'm glad I read this about the husband never telling the secret, that could have been bad for me...oh crap!
    Interesting, and nice legend. I guess this must be some sort of recurrent myth after all, with local variation, already previous to the Greco-Roman legends.
    Very similar to some Welsh legends. See Rhys's [B]Undine's Kymric Sisters[/B]...
    [url]http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/cfwm/cf105.htm[/url]
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrymheim
    could make that into a thread, it would be interesting
    I'm glad you liked it!

Quote Originally Posted by Arawn
    Pets some in handy sometimes
    Lol. Really? Take a pic of that!
    [QUOTE=Boira;bt272]A tower of one? Cool! ;)
    [/QUOTE]

Don't be silly :D

Pets some in handy sometimes :p
    could make that into a thread, it would be interesting
    Quote Originally Posted by Arawn
    Whoa! Let me try this at home, Boira
    A tower of one? Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by asulf
    great post i like this
    Thanks!
    great post i like this
    Whoa! Let me try this at home, Boira :D