Recent Blogs Posts

1. What? I can has a blog?!

Hey, thanks, this is cool. I had a blog at an online forum I used to belong to, but I quit that group and am not going back. No room in my life for liars, gossipmongers, and shit-stirrers.

Having a blog is good for me, though. I like putting things down in writing for others to see, as it gives me a measure of accountability in my thoughts and such. Sometimes, I get support, sometimes, I get that much-needed call to "snap out of it!" OK, sometimes I get abuse, too, but there ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. On shooting people and moral compasses

I just returned from spending four days in the Nevada desert at one of the premier shooting schools in the country. I learned a lot.

Not, mind you, that I wasn't very good with small arms already, but the quality of instruction raised my skill set more than a few notches.

I also confronted a few of my own doubts head-on.

I've never had to shoot at lifelike targets before, and I found it more difficult than I would have imagined. It has caused a reset of ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Dicto increpito postremo

Dicto increpito postremo (Write to call out to the future)

I’ve read Charles Carroll’s book on Leonardo da Vinci. It’s a fairly well written and worth the time, if you are interested in Leonardo to begin with. What strikes me about Leonardo is how he lives on in more than just his art. Leonardo wrote things down. His notebooks have done as much to make him immortal as his art. The genius that he was lives on because he took the time to preserve his ideas for the ages. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. More on democracy

This short movie has a great explanation between a democracy & a republic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFXuGIpsdE0

fun
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. on democracy

The term democracy is used quite often - it purports to signify 'government by the people'...
    There are however other questions that are relevant when talking of democracy:

- who gets to vote.
    In ancient Greece and during the Roman Republic, only citizens that owned land, and could read an write were allowed to vote. Even in the elections held in the early American Colonies.
    Voters that have a 'conflict of disinterest' in the government may vote differently then ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized