Comte Arnau

Strength, Balance, Courage and Wisdom

Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Among the traditions of the Catalans, one of the most well-known is the castells or castles, usually translated into English as human towers. It is also a highly symbolic tradition, although to the eye of a tourist or a passer-by, this may just look like a spectacular but crazy thing with children doing the risky part. However, the risks of it are much fewer than it first seems, and the fun, sense of collectivity, mix of decision, courage, accuracy, and balance exceed by far every other feeling. The tradition goes back to the 18th century. The motto of the castells, "strength, balance, courage and wisdom" says it all.

A human castle must be done with mathematical accuracy, after much training, with a pinya (group of people around it) that works as a net in case it falls down, a first floor made by strong hefty guys, and a series of floors with younger and lighter people, guided by the voice of a team master. The process is indicated to those below by the music of the drums and gralles (Catalan double reeds), which is always the same to mark the steps. The top of the castle is half-finished when a child crouches down and the enxaneta or child at the top gets on him and raises his/her hand. When that is done, the castle is 'loaded' and that means some points but it has to be still 'unloaded' in order to get the whole score. It is a league formed by several colles or teams, each one with a distinctive shirt colour, who build different human castles in different festival days along the season.

The human values of commitment and fellowship have made that in recent years other countries have become interested in this tradition, specially Chile, forming teams of their own. Other similar human towers can be seen in places like India, but never in such a complex, high and elaborated form.

The tallest castell up to date has probably been the 3 of 10 (people per floor), performed in 1998 by the team from Vilafranca, in central Catalonia. This is a video of it. Unfortunately, it could only be crowned, and not finished, but the difficulty of it was extreme and it was highly celebrated.

[YOUTUBE]41rz5RtdUY0[/YOUTUBE]

Submit "Strength, Balance, Courage and Wisdom" to Digg Submit "Strength, Balance, Courage and Wisdom" to del.icio.us Submit "Strength, Balance, Courage and Wisdom" to StumbleUpon Submit "Strength, Balance, Courage and Wisdom" to Google

Comments

Whoa! Let me try this at home, Boira :D
    great post i like this
    Quote Originally Posted by Arawn
    Whoa! Let me try this at home, Boira
    A tower of one? Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by asulf
    great post i like this
    Thanks!
    could make that into a thread, it would be interesting
    [QUOTE=Boira;bt272]A tower of one? Cool! ;)
    [/QUOTE]

Don't be silly :D

Pets some in handy sometimes :p
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrymheim
    could make that into a thread, it would be interesting
    I'm glad you liked it!

Quote Originally Posted by Arawn
    Pets some in handy sometimes
    Lol. Really? Take a pic of that!
    Bluddy Hell. Well done to the Castellers de Vilafranca!
    So much for a "Catalan" tradition that was originally called ball dels valencians (Dance of Valencians), attesting its Valencian origins.

In line with the institution of la Sardana as the "all-Catalonia" traditional dance, nevermind that its name indicates its origin which was circumscribed to the small county of La Cerdanya, instead of taking la Jota which was more extended throughout Catalonia but also among the rest of the Spanish regions.

What a fraud..