2DREZQ

Regret can change your life

Rate this Entry

When I was a trainee I had an elderly man as a patient. He was alone and lonely. He knew he was nearing the end of his life. He was a writer and a poet. One day he asked me if I would sit with him a little while and maybe read some of his work and talk.

I said no. I was too busy. I was young and had a girlfriend to think about and a lot of things to do. I never saw him again. He died a few days later. Alone. What makes me sick to this very day is the fact that I KNEW I should stay with him, even as I was saying no.

I could have made the time if I had wanted to. I had the chance to learn from a poet, to hear his work in his own voice and have him tell me in his own words how he felt and lived. I passed up the chance to bring a little joy into a dying man's last hours and I refused. I hope he forgave me before he died.

I vowed I would never leave another human being like that again, that I wold never pass up a chance like that again.

I guess you could say that that one mistake has made me a far better person. So, somehow, it all balances out. However, after more than 30 years I can still hear his voice; asking. I will regret that selfish, stupid choice until my dying day.

Submit "Regret can change your life" to Digg Submit "Regret can change your life" to del.icio.us Submit "Regret can change your life" to StumbleUpon Submit "Regret can change your life" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Tears of the soul – they can melt your life away – but the curse is for the best of humans.

Thank you for sharing this.