View Poll Results: Do you feel negatively towards people who CHOOSE not to have children?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 16.67%
  • No

4 66.67%
  • Sometimes or Other....

1 16.67%

Thread: Study Finds People Are Morally Outraged by Those Who Decide Not to Have Kids

Fantasy Peddler
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Country
    South Africa
    mtDNA
    I1b
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35,722
    Given: 17,037

0 Not allowed!

Default Study Finds People Are Morally Outraged by Those Who Decide Not to Have Kids

Study Finds People Are Morally Outraged by Those Who Decide Not to Have Kids

Source: https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/artic...tm_source=dmfb

We talked to the author of a new study about why people are deeply unchill about those who don't want to ever spawn offspring.

According to a study published this month in Sex Roles, some people are outraged when complete strangers decide not to have children.

Since the 1970s, the percentage of younger women remaining childless has been on the rise, reports a Pew Research study. In fact, a growing number of couples are choosing small dogs over small humans. But past studies have shown that men and women who choose to be kid-free are often perceived negatively by others. Leslie Ashburn-Nardo, an associate professor of psychology at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis, decided to investigate why these perceptions continue to exist, even as birthrates fall in the US.

Ashburn-Nardo and her team recruited 197 undergraduate psychology students to participate in the study. After being told the experiment had to do with people's sense of intuition and how accurately they can predict the future, they were given one of four versions of an anecdote about a married adult's decision to have children, with variables accounting for gender and whether they had zero or two kids. Participants were then asked to rate how psychologically fulfilled they thought the subject was. In another set of questions, researchers also gleaned if and to what extent participants felt disapproval, angry, outraged, annoyed, and disgusted toward the subject.

Not only did participants perceive the voluntarily childfree male and female subjects to be "significantly less psychologically fulfilled than targets with two children," Ashburn-Nardo notes, they also reported "significantly greater moral outrage" toward them. These findings offer evidence for the theory that parenthood is seen by some as a moral imperative: "In other words," the study states, "not having children is seen not only as atypical but also as wrong."

An interest in having children is "both a prescriptive and descriptive stereotype for men and women," the researcher writes. "[W]hen people violate strongly held norms and expectations such as those regarding parenthood and interest in children ... there are potentially serious consequences. ... This backlash is justified in the minds of perceivers because the targets are thought to have brought it upon themselves by not fulfilling their expected roles."

Ashburb-Nardo draws attention to the fact that both men and women were stigmatized for choosing not to have kids—despite the fact that the conversation around reproductive rights and a woman's right to choose is so polarizing. "I was somewhat surprised by this too," she tells Broadly, "but that was probably due to my own personal experiences as a woman. When I looked at the past literature, the few studies that included opportunities for participants to rate men without children yielded similar findings."

However, she continues, because "parenthood is seen as a moral imperative, something that we are supposed to do, this helps us understand why views about abortion are so strong."

Unfortunately, this stigmatization is unlikely to go away, Ashburn-Nardo says. "It's something we should work to change, but it certainly won't be easy," she says. "Any time there's an imperative, freedom of choice is taken away. People are led to believe 'this is how things should be.' But that's how many social stereotypes operate, and their prescriptive nature makes them very difficult to change. My findings did not differ from those of similar studies conducted in the 70s, 80s, 90s—what I added was the moral outrage explanation. So, despite all the changes in so many other domains in those 40-plus years of studies, the bias against childfree people remains."

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-08-2022 @ 01:35 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Anglo American
    Ancestry
    Anglo/German/Dutch/Norse American
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Oregon
    Y-DNA
    E-V12
    mtDNA
    T2f1
    Politics
    Right
    Hero
    Evola
    Religion
    Traditionalist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23,081
    Given: 56,859

0 Not allowed!

Some people shouldn't have kids. Period. But tending towards mote people not having kids or having thwm later in life will have repercussions. My generation is the "me" generation, amd family values are well on the decline. There is more moral outrage out of perceived differences in income and being un PC than there is in a lack of responsibility and community.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    04-12-2024 @ 06:51 PM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,865
    Given: 7,349

0 Not allowed!

I have to admit I have negative feelings towards such couples myself - not that I hate them, but I do view it as selfish, lazy, short-sighted, and/or shallow. I believe you've chosen not to procreate for health reasons, which I find reasonable. But in general, I think parenthood is both natural and desirable.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-06-2021 @ 03:29 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Levantine
    Country
    Palestine
    Y-DNA
    J2
    mtDNA
    U3
    Taxonomy
    Taurid
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29,829
    Given: 24,541

0 Not allowed!

If a woman isn't married and pregnant when hitting 30 she becomes hysterical, and really, liberals in the west hate when people don't adhere to their Marxist ideologies against the family to pacify them against the ones who are controlling most western societies under their heel(they're "gems"). White birth rates in most western countries are very low, and they can't risk in having such degenerates into their society.

Banned
    Last Online
    09-08-2017 @ 09:59 AM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Netherlands
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 3

0 Not allowed!

I honestly don't see the big deal. It is no ones business if someone wants to have kids or not.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-07-2022 @ 06:32 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    German English
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    anti corruption
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,540
    Given: 9,189

0 Not allowed!

No not outraged. For you younger First World guys........if bitches don't want to get married and have kids go get a foreign wife.
    There is some absolute prime pussy in some 3rd world type countries.

Neighborhood Friendly Nuna <3
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Austronesian
    Ethnicity
    Samoan
    Ancestry
    Samoan
    Country
    United States
    Hero
    Longbowman
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,533
    Given: 11,712

0 Not allowed!

I think if people choose not to have kids, this is responsible.

There are many people having kids who have no business doing so. These are the people that do things like severely neglect them, sell them for drug money, beat on them to relieve personal stress, etc.

Those things make me more sad and feeling empty.

Thread Information