The Sun/ The Moon/ The Stars
    Relationship Status
    Not your future girlfriend
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 151
    Given: 4

0 Not allowed!

He's sure that name days are unknown in Italy, Hungary, Poland and whatever. He traveled a lot, however is not interested in traditions, religions and customs being one of the biggest atheists I know.
    “The truth is lived, not taught."
    Tabiti is just a paranoid Bulgarian who clearly has an agenda
    Void aka Dusan

My Countship is not of this world Comte Arnau's Avatar
    Last Online
    06-18-2015 @ 02:38 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European (Romanic)
    Ethnicity
    Catalan
    Ancestry
    Pyrenean
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Catalunya
    Taxonomy
    W/S Europid
    Politics
    Sovereigntism
    Religion
    Cult to Pyrene
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,755
    Given: 1,407

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tabiti View Post
    I should show this thread to my father since he was long arguing with me that name days were strictly Orthodox christian...
    There was a time in Spain where everybody should be given one of the names of the saints in a calendar. There was even a joke in which one named his son Aldorso because he had seen it in the calendar (Al dorso = See overleaf).

Those with a saint name that was not in a calendar would celebrate it today, in All Saints' Day.

Last Online
    08-15-2018 @ 08:11 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Geat
    Ancestry
    Germanics all the way
    Country
    Sweden
    Region
    West Sweden
    Politics
    Nationalist / Ethnopluralist
    Relationship Status
    Alive and kicking
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 626
    Given: 726

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tabiti View Post
    He's sure that name days are unknown in Italy, Hungary, Poland and whatever. He traveled a lot, however is not interested in traditions, religions and customs being one of the biggest atheists I know.
    Misunderstood you then. Almost goes to prove that narrowmindedness is not a religious thing, doesn't it?
    Pigs can fly... in your face.

Banned
    Last Online
    08-28-2012 @ 01:01 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Italian
    Ancestry
    Father from Istria and mother form Calabria
    Country
    Italy
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Mediterranean
    Politics
    Fascism
    Religion
    None
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthropos View Post
    Misunderstood you then. Almost goes to prove that narrowmindedness is not a religious thing, doesn't it?
    Yeah , perhaps he wrongly thinks that Catholics Anglicans Calvinists Luterans i.e. all non-Orthodox are all the same , and that only Orthodox retain the real Christian tradition , could it be?

By the way someone asked me who was Robert of West- sorry I've just realized he is actually Robert of Newminster and not Westminster

Early life
    Saint Robert was born in the district of Craven, near Skipton in North Yorkshire, probably in the village of Gargrave. He studied at the University of Paris, where he is said to have composed a commentary - since lost - on the Psalms. He became a parish priest, returning to serve in his hometown of Gargrave, where he was made rector. He later became a Benedictine at Whitby, joining a band of monks from Saint Mary's Abbey in York. They established a monastery in the winter of 1132 in a valley near Skeldale, on land given them by Archbishop Thurston. The first two years were difficult, and the monks struggled in extreme poverty. Initially they lived in a makeshift structure on the banks of the River Skell. But despite the hardships, the monks were known for their holiness, austerity, and dedication to the strict Benedictine way of life. Eventually, their fame brought a new novice, Hugh, Dean of York, who relinquished all his wealth to the community, and allowed for the building of more suitable facilities. Because of the many natural springs in the area, the monastery was called Fountains Abbey. St Robert was described as a devout, prayerful, and gentle man. While he is known for being merciful in his judgment of others, and a warm and considerate campanion, he was also very zealous toward his own vows of poverty.

[edit] Cistercian and Abbot
    St Robert received his abbot's permission to join the founders of the Cistercian monastery of Fountains. About 1138 he headed the first colony sent out from Fountains and established the Abbey of Newminster near the castle of Ralph de Merlay, at Morpeth in Northumberland. During his abbacy three colonies of monks were sent out to found new monasteries. The monasteries were established at Pipewell (1143), Roche (1147), and Sawley (1148).

[edit] Controversy and Visit to Saint Bernard
    Capgrave's life tells that an accusation of misconduct was brought against him by his own monks: St Robert was said to have had an interest towards a woman of the village; so he went abroad (1147-1148), to defend himself before St. Bernard. St Bernard did not doubt St Robert's innocence, since he had received a heavenly sign of his virtuous conduct. St Robert and St Bernard became friends, and St Bernard gave St Robert his belt, which is considered miraculous: it is said that many ill people have recovered just by touching it[citation needed]. Now, the belt is currently in Newminster. Doubt has been cast upon the truth of this story, which may have arisen from a desire to associate the English saint personally with the greatest of the Cistercians.

[edit] Location of Relics and Miracles associated with Saint Robert
    Saint Robert's relics are located in the church at Newminster, and miracles have been reported at his tomb. In one instance, a monk is said to have fallen unhurt from a ladder while working on one of the buildings. His tomb has become a center for pilgrimage. St Robert was a close spiritual friend of the hermit Saint Godric. On the night Robert died, St Godric is said to have seen a vision of Robert's soul, like a ball of fire, being lifted by angles on a pathway of light toward the gates of heaven. As they approached, Godric heard a voice saying, "Enter now my friends."

St Robert is often depicted in church art as an abbot holding a church. His feast day is celebrated on June 7, the day of his death.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_of_Newminster

Banned
    Last Online
    04-28-2012 @ 04:02 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Lancashire, Bernicia, Munster, Mercia etc.
    Country
    England
    Region
    Devon
    Taxonomy
    Manchester Man
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    British
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Robert of Newminster
    Saint Robert was born in the district of Craven, near Skipton in North Yorkshire, probably in the village of Gargrave.
    My own Great Grandfather was from only 15 miles away, in Bacup (I'm only about 26 miles away myself), so St Robert might be a distant uncle of mine! Thanks for bringing this up, Tony, I'll read about the man with interest now. I've visited most of the abbeys associated with him. He probably talked a bit like me!

Or he might at least have been the brother of the wicked Norman landlord who had my ancestors flogged now and then...

(✿´‿`) ~(˘▾˘~) Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Nymph
    Ethnicity
    Dryad
    Country
    Faroes
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,889
    Given: 12,843

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe
    Is name day a concept known to your country?
    No. And as far as I am aware it's not celebrated in the Republic of Ireland either. Strange, since they are Catholic.

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe
    If not, have you heard of this custom before?
    Yes. I first heard about it being celebrated in France.

Individualist Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    04-13-2019 @ 02:25 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian & Yankee
    Ancestry
    Maternal: Norway Paternal: Massachusetts
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Connecticut
    Politics
    Conservative
    Hero
    Marcus Tullius Cicero and Nikola Tesla
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,884
    Given: 1,005

0 Not allowed!

The USA, being ethnically heterogeneous, there are doubtless families who have heard of and perhaps even celebrate name days, but the custom is rare here. Oddly enough, I first heard of it in Beethoven's opera, "Fidelio." "Des Koenigs Namensfest ist heute. Das feiern wir auf solche art..." I was named after an uncle who was named after Martin Luther, so, no name day.
    "This is not my time; this is not my world; these are not my people." - Martin H. Francis

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information