Thread: 24 hours tube in the weekend from 2015..

Oi you lots
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Jamaican
    Country
    Jamaica
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,132
    Given: 4,897

2 Not allowed!

Default 24 hours tube in the weekend from 2015..

Tube promises 24-hour weekend service as unions declare war over job cuts

Tube trains will run for 24 hours at weekends, it has been announced, but commuters are likely to get caught in all-out war between London Underground and transport unions.

By 2015 London Underground trains will operate through the night on Fridays and Saturdays, initially only on the Piccadilly, Victoria, Central and Jubilee lines, and part of the Northern line.

The announcement came as Transport for London confirmed plans to close all ticket offices on the network, with up to 750 job losses expected.

But all stations will still be staffed, with workers in ticket halls and platforms instead, while contactless bank card payment technology; extended Wi-Fi coverage and improved ticket machines will all be introduced under initiatives aimed at saving Ł50million a year and that are now subject to a 90-day consultation.

Manuel Cortes, leader of the TSSA rail union, accused Boris Johnson of being the ‘hypocrite of the decade’ having been elected as London mayor in 2008 on a pledge to keep all 268 Tube ticket offices open.

MORE: Seven reasons why a 24-hour Tube will be a waking nightmare

‘We shall be launching a joint campaign with Labour to reverse this decision and we urge all Londoners to back this campaign to prevent Boris’s long march to the leadership of the Tory system on the back of his lasting legacy of a second class Tube network,’ he said.

RMT general secretary Bob Crow had said the plans would reduce the Tube network to a ‘dangerous and hollowed out shell’.

‘RMT will fight these plans with every tool at our disposal and that includes political, public and industrial campaigning on an unprecedented scale,’ he said.

‘RMT will move quickly to make the necessary preparations for action that will confront these proposals head on and if the LU management under Boris Johnson don’t wake up and see sense that means, inevitably, industrial action across the entire network.’

Mr Johnson said the plans would take the Tube ‘to the next level’.

‘For 150 years the Tube has been the beating heart of London, its tunnels and tracks providing the arteries that have transported millions of people and helped to drive the development and economic growth of our great city,’ he said.

‘This will not just boost jobs and our vibrant night-time economy, it will further cement London’s reputation as the best big city on the planet to in which to live, work, visit and invest.’

Shadow London minister Sadiq Khan said the plans would make Londoners ‘feel more anxious’ travelling through deserted stations.

‘Commuters will have nowhere to turn when their Oyster card is lost, stolen or broken,’ he said, despite pledges that all stations would still be staffed.
    Source

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German, French Huguenot, British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,956
    Given: 45,027

2 Not allowed!

Hey that's cool London, the city that never sleeps
    Help support Apricity by making a donation

Johannes factotum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    07-26-2023 @ 01:37 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Jewish
    Ethnicity
    440/512 Ashkenazi, 41/512 Sephardic, 31/512 Musta'arabi, minor English, Portuguese & Spanish
    Ancestry
    67% Middle Eastern Neolithic, 20% European Mesolithic, 10% Eurasian Invasion, 2% Siberian, 1% Africa
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Y-DNA
    E-FT333743
    mtDNA
    K1a1b1a
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Med
    Politics
    Campanilismo
    Hero
    Bartolomé de las Casas
    Religion
    Awaiting the return of King Arthur
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37,278
    Given: 39,691

1 Not allowed!

This will allow people to stay out later, work later, and so on. I can see why they're doing it, and I'm sure I'll use it. That said, I think London presently has a feel of containing many communities that all work the 9-5 and then go home to their kids. This might make it a bit more sleek and perhaps we'll lose some of that community feeling. I don't know. I support it though.

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German, French Huguenot, British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,956
    Given: 45,027

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Longbowman View Post
    This will allow people to stay out later, work later, and so on. I can see why they're doing it, and I'm sure I'll use it. That said, I think London presently has a feel of containing many communities that all work the 9-5 and then go home to their kids. This might make it a bit more sleek and perhaps we'll lose some of that community feeling. I don't know. I support it though.
    Yeah. People need a time to rest and sleep as well. But since it would be weekend only, I guess there will be lots more parties and hung over Mondays.
    Help support Apricity by making a donation

Thread Information