mtDNA
    I1b
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35,722
    Given: 17,037

2 Not allowed!

Default Teaching about death is an important life lesson for students

Teaching about death is an important life lesson for students

Death, dying and bereavement is an extremely difficult subject to deal with socially. But primary and secondary schools shouldn't shy away from teaching it, says teacher Andrew Jones

When I was 15 years old my mother died. She passed away over the summer holiday, which meant I didn't have to deal with the initial aftermath of her death at school. My father had been open about the seriousness of her illness and my brother and I were aware that it was terminal. My close friends were also aware of what was happening and it didn't seem to cause any awkwardness amongst us.

Nonetheless, when school started in September some of my teachers acted a little weird around me. I remember my English teacher grabbing my arm and staring at me intently – looking for some kind of reassurance that I was ok. My form tutor became teary eyed when we briefly mentioned the almost taboo subject of my mother's funeral. I was also very appreciative of the light touch approach towards my misdemeanours and laziness.

It dawned on me that adults found dealing with a bereaved child pretty daunting. In later life, I feel that most people have an emotional aversion to tackling issues associated with death, dying and bereavement. In a similar vein, the sociologist Philippe Aričs believed that we live in a death-denying society that is reluctant to confront the basic fact that death is unavoidable.

Teaching about matters of death can be a scary prospect for teachers, mostly because it doesn't allow for any conclusive answers. Whether one looks for a philosophical, religious, ethical or even cultural argument for what happens after death, there's no definitive answer acceptable to all. The only real empirical evidence we have of death is that life ends.

But death is a fact of life and crops up in all manner of subjects – from literature to science. It's also something that inevitably affects us all and should be part of every child's education.

My students are confronted with the issue of death in religious studies; they discuss what death is, debate whether there is an afterlife and consider the arguments for and against euthanasia. The topic really engages students, gets them thinking and, of course, disagreeing. Although there are many reasons why students benefit from the study of death, some of these can be categorised into three broad themes.

The first is philosophical. How to approach death, especially what may happen after, is an eternal question that has bugged humanity throughout history. From the basic beliefs of the Abrahamic religions that an eternal soul transcends to a paradise or hell, to the Eastern emphasis on reincarnation and rebirth, there's a rich history of ideas to be explored. Add to this the challenge of atheism, a lack of evidence for an afterlife and the concept of oblivion, and students have a real chance to develop their imaginative and critical thinking skills while learning about other cultures and traditions.

The second reason is ethical. Death is controversial and embodies a plethora of emotionally-charged issues, such as the right approach to palliative care, assisted-suicide and passive euthanasia. Students will be exposed to these issues through the media, perhaps even personally, at some stage in their life and will inevitably have questions about them. Of course, teachers do not necessarily have the answers, but they can provide a starting point by explaining why these issues are highly sensitive and so often debated by social commentators, faith groups and politicians.

The third and final reason is practical. People panic, overreact or get overprotective when death occurs, gets mentioned or becomes apparent. The bereaved often recount how friends avoided them or people became overly emotional when they were trying to get back to some semblance of normality. This aversion to facing up to death obviously causes more problems than it solves and arguably results in death's taboo status in our culture. Perhaps addressing this social awkwardness through education could go some way to making discussion about death more open, more rational and less daunting.

I'm not advocating that teachers deal with individual pupils' bereavement, which is best left to family, friends or trained professionals. But I do think that death is an extremely difficult subject to deal with socially and schools at both primary and secondary level should not shy away from teaching about it.

Some hospices are leading the way with initiatives such as the Larch Group, which brings together students and patients to explore issues surrounding hospice care and death. In schools, however, there's little overt discussion of death beyond the religious studies curriculum and it could be argued that the topic should feature more in PSHE and spiritual, moral, social and cultural provision, and even other curriculum subjects, if we are to become less fearful of dealing with death, dying and bereavement.

source: http://www.theguardian.com/teacher-n...=ILCNETTXT3487

Last Online
    01-30-2021 @ 01:59 AM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Great Britain
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,131
    Given: 4,234

2 Not allowed!

I wish more adults were open about death. Whenever I brought up death with my mother she would tell me to shut up because she was afraid that by talking about it someone around us would die

Individualist Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    04-13-2019 @ 02:25 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian & Yankee
    Ancestry
    Maternal: Norway Paternal: Massachusetts
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Connecticut
    Politics
    Conservative
    Hero
    Marcus Tullius Cicero and Nikola Tesla
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,884
    Given: 1,005

1 Not allowed!

Children want and expect certainties from the adults who teach and counsel them. Yet, the only certainties about desth are that it is inevitable snd that life ceases. All else is speculation and authoritarian pontification. And, in this mire of uncertainty and ignorance, we, children and adults, are told to BELIEVE what we cannot know. CREDO VT INTELLEGAM . But belief is NOT understanding and it is not knowledge. Too often, it is self-deception.

So, what can we really tell children about death which will comfort them or allay their fears ? I am convinced that telling them to believe assertions which we do not and cannot know to be true is not the answer. It is enough of a jolt to discover that there isn't any Santa Claus , but the thoughtful child is in for a much greater shock when he/she realises that NO ONE KNOWS anything about what, if anything, happens after death. Suddenly, NOTHING stands between him/her and the fear of the unknown.

I don't have an answer to my own question. That, alas, is typical of the subject.
    Last edited by Svipdag; 02-23-2014 at 06:06 PM.
    "This is not my time; this is not my world; these are not my people." - Martin H. Francis

Thread Information