Apathetic
    Religion
    Apathy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,436
    Given: 1,629

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crow View Post
    Yeah right. The Saxons were a larger tribe and most feared in the north sea as they were the majoriy of the pirates. They inhabited modern day northern germany and the eastern half of the netherlands. But then again what time period are we talking about? Later roman period [around right before they left britain?].....I tend to believe the Saxons were a considerable threat to the Romans as they built a very long line of coastal forts....and later hired many Saxons to live there and protect the shores of southern England.... The Saxons are named after the sword they carried....so it is known they had to have carried the feared Seax which I happen to own a remake of one. In close combat they were deadly weapons and the saxons were known to carry them and use them with deadly efficiency. You have an unusual fetish for rome like some other posters here.

However the Romans practically gave Britain to the Saxons. They I do not think cared about Britain as it was seen as the end of the world or edge of the world. However The Saxons and Frisians were pirates for a long time.
    Saxons were just a generic term for a North Sea pirate in the late Roman era. Saxons don't have a naval reputation like the Frisians.

Banned
    Last Online
    05-18-2020 @ 05:24 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Napulitan/Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Humanoid
    Ancestry
    Vesuvio tribe, Germanic Lowlands
    Country
    Italy
    Region
    Sicily
    Y-DNA
    R-U152
    mtDNA
    K2a
    Taxonomy
    Dinaricized gracile Med + CM
    Politics
    Justice & Peace
    Hero
    Ötzi the Iceman
    Religion
    L’uocchie sicche so’ peggio d”e scuppettate
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,114
    Given: 4,398

0 Not allowed!

I love the story of Arminius

Quote Originally Posted by MrMalus View Post
    The Batavians were the defacto leader among the german tribes though. Their seconds, the Treveri, were also ruled by a branch of the Batavian Royal house. The vast majority of germanic auxilaries before the foderati system raped the roman military was compromised by the Batavian Royal Horse, who although weren't as elite as the multinational Thracian Horse, were very strategically flexible as they were known for their ability to cross rivers with their horses while in full gear. Pretty hard to rest when 3000 dutchmen can cross a big river on horseback then wheel back and wreck some disorganised barbarian encampment.

We also know that they were more advanced as swords and helmets were extremely rare among germanics but more common among batavians and frisians. Not to mention that the only considerable naval threat caesar met in his conquest of gaul consisted of frisians, while support more eastern germans fled and surrendered en masse when boarded by legionaire raiding parties. They also had a poor reputation for seamen while the opposite was true of the frisians.

Their long relationship with rome that I mentioned above also helped them develop technically at rates far greater than those of other germans. When frankish rulers desired to build fleets they either chose gallo romans from southern france to build and man them or frisians.

Arminius and Civilis, the two germans who led significant rebellions against the romans before being defeated, were also part of the Batavian Royal house. Civilis is confirmed while Arminius had at least ties with them. It's also very important to notice that there were noble batavians serving with rome against them. Whatever happened, the royal house would survive and would continue to bully the other germans into line to both win favour and benefits of rome while avoiding another devastation like the battle of wesser river or adastavisus.

I could post a list of the commanders of the germanic auxilary forces serving with the AUR legions in the west. I can also guarantee you that all of them will be batavian.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Napulitan/Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Humanoid
    Ancestry
    Country
    Italy
    Region
    Sicily
    Y-DNA
    R-U152
    mtDNA
    K2a
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Justice & Peace
    Hero
    Ötzi the Iceman
    Religion
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Show us what you know

Quote Originally Posted by Xochi View Post
    Barely anything. I know a bit of Dutch and Afrikaans so it kind of helps.

Last Online
    01-28-2018 @ 11:36 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic/Celtic
    Ethnicity
    White, cis gender shit lord
    Ancestry
    Anglo-Saxon/Celt-WASP A pariah of the west.
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Brittany
    Politics
    The power of Kek
    Religion
    God Emperor
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,428
    Given: 28,057

0 Not allowed!

people forget that english was also influenced by old norse from the Danish settlers in what is now East Anglia and Northcumbria. They did impact the English language by the time of the arrival of the Normans. English changed in the 1500s-1600s when a more standardized language was created......read shakespeare's writings and compare them to various other writings prior 100 years....the language looks very different and the various dialects people had or used different grammar....but then again most people were uneducated and could not write.

Shakespeare's English had more of an impact on what we speak today than what the Anglo-Normans spoke of the 13th century or the Anglo-Saxon-Danes before them.

Here is the lords prayer in Anglo-Saxon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQVyol7N1Jo&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMrV...6E5243558&hd=1

Anglo-Norman-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJr8uZPNm4Y&hd=1

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic/Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Brittany
    Politics
    The power of Kek
    Religion
    God Emperor
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by FeederOfRavens View Post
    Saxons were just a generic term for a North Sea pirate in the late Roman era. Saxons don't have a naval reputation like the Frisians.
    Well how do you thin they invaded the British Islands and the Northern French cost? Saxons were a giant tribe....however probably insignificant in this period until the fall of the Roman Empire.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Napulitan/Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Humanoid
    Ancestry
    Country
    Italy
    Region
    Sicily
    Y-DNA
    R-U152
    mtDNA
    K2a
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Justice & Peace
    Hero
    Ötzi the Iceman
    Religion
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Why ?

It sounded like well pronounced gibberish to me.

Last Online
    09-25-2015 @ 09:11 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Finnic-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Baltic Finnic
    Ancestry
    Ancient
    Country
    Finland
    Politics
    Direct Democracy, Confederation of the free and old.
    Hero
    Tiera
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,844
    Given: 4,542

0 Not allowed!

Yeah right. The Saxons were a larger tribe and most feared in the north sea as they were the majoriy of the pirates. They inhabited modern day northern germany and the eastern half of the netherlands. But then again what time period are we talking about? Later roman period [around right before they left britain?].....I tend to believe the Saxons were a considerable threat to the Romans as they built a very long line of coastal forts....and later hired many Saxons to live there and protect the shores of southern England.... The Saxons are named after the sword they carried....so it is known they had to have carried the feared Seax which I happen to own a remake of one. In close combat they were deadly weapons and the saxons were known to carry them and use them with deadly efficiency. You have an unusual fetish for rome like some other posters here.

However the Romans practically gave Britain to the Saxons. They I do not think cared about Britain as it was seen as the end of the world or edge of the world. However The Saxons and Frisians were pirates for a long time.
    It is very possible that Batavians could have had some status and prestige among Germanic peoples in the region for their role inside the Roman military.
    Interesting is their rebellion, for sure some where exiled or left voluntarily after it, they could have moved with the Frisians and Saxons or even in Scandinavia.
    "If the enemy is not attacking from the East it has flanked." Finnish proverb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu8D9GaQwIs

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    05-23-2020 @ 04:24 AM
    Ethnicity
    Whirlpool
    Country
    Canada
    Taxonomy
    Ethereal
    Politics
    Apathetic
    Religion
    Apathy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,436
    Given: 1,629

2 Not allowed!

Well how do you thin they invaded the British Islands and the Northern French cost? Saxons were a giant tribe....however probably insignificant in this period until the fall of the Roman Empire.
    I mean the Romans wouldn't have distinguished between a boatload of Frisians and a boatload of Saxons. Look at the maps from this period, Frisians covered most of the coast from Flanders to Holstein while Saxons were more inland. The Saxons main expansion on the continent was in the middle ages(starting from 900s) when they advanced eastwards at the cost of west slavs.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic/Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Brittany
    Politics
    The power of Kek
    Religion
    God Emperor
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I mean the Romans wouldn't have distinguished between a boatload of Frisians and a boatload of Saxons. Look at the maps from this period, Frisians covered most of the coast from Flanders to Holstein while Saxons were more inland. The Saxons main expansion on the continent was in the middle ages(starting from 900s) when they advanced eastwards at the cost of west slavs.
    then who invaded the British Islands? If some of my ancestors were not the people of the sword then I feel bad But I always thought the saxons were a specific tribe...now they did make an expansion into what is now England....I mean why would that be made up if it didnt happen? Or why would some group of germanics invade there and claim they were Saxons....even the Irish word for Saxon today is used to call English people....so they had to have invaded the British Islands. However I tend to think the Danes genetically may have had a much larger impact on England than Saxons [who most likely were the Kings and minor rulers of the time]. I mean England had a double dosage of genes from Denmark.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Napulitan/Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Humanoid
    Ancestry
    Country
    Italy
    Region
    Sicily
    Y-DNA
    R-U152
    mtDNA
    K2a
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Justice & Peace
    Hero
    Ötzi the Iceman
    Religion
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

The Russian Tsar Peter the Great came to Holland to learn how to build boats in Zaandam where he also had the first wooden house build named the ''Tsaar Petershuisje'' and he stayed there for a while in the summer of 1697. He knew the Dutch were the best boatbuilders and he wanted to gain knowledge from the industry as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czar_Pe..._(Netherlands)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zaan#The_Zaan_district
    There is a saying that the industrial revolution began in Zaandam and nowhere in Europe you could find such a high density of industrial mills. Also whaling was a profession practiced by almost every village in Zaandam.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMalus View Post
    The Batavians were the defacto leader among the german tribes though. Their seconds, the Treveri, were also ruled by a branch of the Batavian Royal house. The vast majority of germanic auxilaries before the foderati system raped the roman military was compromised by the Batavian Royal Horse, who although weren't as elite as the multinational Thracian Horse, were very strategically flexible as they were known for their ability to cross rivers with their horses while in full gear. Pretty hard to rest when 3000 dutchmen can cross a big river on horseback then wheel back and wreck some disorganised barbarian encampment.

We also know that they were more advanced as swords and helmets were extremely rare among germanics but more common among batavians and frisians. Not to mention that the only considerable naval threat caesar met in his conquest of gaul consisted of frisians, while support more eastern germans fled and surrendered en masse when boarded by legionaire raiding parties. They also had a poor reputation for seamen while the opposite was true of the frisians.

Their long relationship with rome that I mentioned above also helped them develop technically at rates far greater than those of other germans. When frankish rulers desired to build fleets they either chose gallo romans from southern france to build and man them or frisians.

Arminius and Civilis, the two germans who led significant rebellions against the romans before being defeated, were also part of the Batavian Royal house. Civilis is confirmed while Arminius had at least ties with them. It's also very important to notice that there were noble batavians serving with rome against them. Whatever happened, the royal house would survive and would continue to bully the other germans into line to both win favour and benefits of rome while avoiding another devastation like the battle of wesser river or adastavisus.

I could post a list of the commanders of the germanic auxilary forces serving with the AUR legions in the west. I can also guarantee you that all of them will be batavian.
    Last edited by Alessio; 09-07-2014 at 03:40 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information