Nordsinid/Tungid
    Hero
    Yo momma last night
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28,799
    Given: 25,904

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Same here. One doesn't need to hate America in order to like Putin.
    I'm definitely not a nationalist of any stripe (not for America, and not for China), and I generally strongly distrust government. But I do love America, not as a flag waver, but the country itself, the cultures, the peoples, the possibilities, the cities, the nature, basically everything of substance here.

But that has nothing to do with respecting Putin. I respect any guy who has the balls and brains to get shit done.

And frankly, the US government is always butting into other people's business that it has no business doing. I'm rather sick of that shit. That's why I supported Ron Paul the last time around, not so much for the financial platforms but I'm sick and tired of the US govt sticking its big nose into everybody's business, not to mention its bankrupting us.

Also, don't get me wrong, I don't think Putin or Russia is in any way a moral country. It is not, and he is a fucking asshole. But he knows what he wants and he fucking gets it, and waves a middle finger at everyone in his way cuz he knows they cant do shit about it. He's about doing shit, not talking shit.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    09-17-2017 @ 12:33 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Bell Beaker ish
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    29/32 English, 2/32 Welsh, 1/32 Scottish
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Y-DNA
    I-M253
    mtDNA
    U5a1b4
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,954
    Given: 11,022

1 Not allowed!

It's me who wrote the article
    I guessed.

Thanks for taking the time, it's good to have multiple opinions.

Last Online
    02-19-2015 @ 04:07 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic, Latin
    Ethnicity
    Scottish/Maltese
    Ancestry
    Earra-Ghŕidheal, Innse Gall, Dún na nGall, Malta
    Country
    Scotland
    Region
    Gadsden
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a
    mtDNA
    U5a2
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Med / Gracile Med + Dinarid
    Politics
    Cultural Conservative + Moderate Libertarian
    Religion
    Christian (Kattolika Apostolika Rumana)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 438
    Given: 930

2 Not allowed!

Whilst I'm sympathetic to Ukraine, I do admire Putin as a leader. In fact, I think he's the only half-decent major political leader in the world right now. And I agree that the anti-Putin propaganda is due to the fact that he's standing up to US/NATO interference in other countries such as when he saved Syria from suffering the same fate as Iraq.
    A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Religion
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,420
    Given: 12,533

1 Not allowed!

Putin definitely loves Russia, but that's the problem. A total failure like Russia, suppose Russia is an individual character/person, shouldn't love himself so unconditionally, therefore Putin is lame aggressive midget.

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German, French Huguenot, British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,942
    Given: 45,032

2 Not allowed!

Putin took charge in 2000. New millennium, new era for Russia. The Soviet years were but a brief interlude in Russia's long history. Tsardom didn't work out so well, either. Putin did come from a KGB past, but that wasn't his fault. It was the era where he grew up in. He changed Leningrad back to St Petersburg.

He had a lot of work to do. It wasn't an easy talk to transfer the old Soviet state into the new Russia. But the new Russia is something entirely different. It is not Tsardom, and it is not Soviet. It is something new.
    Help support Apricity by making a donation

Last Online
    08-22-2015 @ 08:28 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Finno-Slavic, Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Swiss-German, Russian
    Country
    Russia
    Politics
    Anti America, Anti Islam, Anti EU, Sovereign democracy, Globalism, Russian Patriotism
    Religion
    Russia
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,683
    Given: 4,085

2 Not allowed!

Mikhail Khodorkovsky was a traitor, he wanted to sell yukos to the americans like exxon. That would have caused 40% of russian oil reserves being in the hand of americans. After he realized that putin is going to kick hiss ass and sooner or later would arrest him he all of the sudden turned to some kind of civil rights activist supporting the opposition so he let it looked like its going to be political motivated or this is what the americans advised him to do.
    He never cared about russian democracy when he was in power and cooperated with putin.

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German, French Huguenot, British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,942
    Given: 45,032

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Putin definitely loves Russia, but that's the problem. A total failure like Russia, suppose Russia is an individual character/person, shouldn't love himself so unconditionally, therefore Putin is lame aggressive midget.
    He needs to be assertive. Russia was in dire need of a strong leader. Putin was also very active diplomatically. He forged strong links with Angela Merkel, who is basically the leader of Europe - and she has been for a very long time. Putin and Merkel have a lot in common. Putin was based in East Germany and is fluent in German. Merkel came from East Germany as well. They conduct their meetings in German, no translation required.
    Help support Apricity by making a donation

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Religion
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,420
    Given: 12,533

0 Not allowed!

He needs to be assertive. Russia was in dire need of a strong leader. Putin was also very active diplomatically. He forged strong links with Angela Merkel, who is basically the leader of Europe - and she has been for a very long time. Putin and Merkel have a lot in common. Putin was based in East Germany and is fluent in German. Merkel came from East Germany as well. They conduct their meetings in German, no translation required.
    Is there any video that shows him speaking German?!

Johannes factotum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    07-26-2023 @ 01:37 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Jewish
    Ethnicity
    440/512 Ashkenazi, 41/512 Sephardic, 31/512 Musta'arabi, minor English, Portuguese & Spanish
    Ancestry
    67% Middle Eastern Neolithic, 20% European Mesolithic, 10% Eurasian Invasion, 2% Siberian, 1% Africa
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Y-DNA
    E-FT333743
    mtDNA
    K1a1b1a
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Med
    Politics
    Campanilismo
    Hero
    Bartolomé de las Casas
    Religion
    Awaiting the return of King Arthur
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37,278
    Given: 39,691

2 Not allowed!

Same here. One doesn't need to hate America in order to like Putin.
    But it helps
    Who is rich? He who is happy with what he has - Simeon ben Zoma, Ethics of the Fathers, Talmud, Avot 4:1

Quote Originally Posted by zhaoyun View Post
    I'll say this once and I don't expect you to ever have me fucking repeat this again.

Longbowman isn't just a member, he's a lifestyle.
    I live here. I also live here.

Europeans worldwide * Longbowman's family on 23andme * Classify Longbowman * Ask Longbowman anything

Last Online
    03-02-2024 @ 11:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Homo neogrecous
    Ethnicity
    Yes
    Country
    Japan
    Region
    Acadia
    mtDNA
    H
    Politics
    oh look. the curve is flattening.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,431
    Given: 241

1 Not allowed!

A few more interesting facts about Ukraine:

The fact is, Ukraine is a state but not yet a nation. In the 22-plus years of its independence, it has not yet found a leader who can unite its citizens in a shared concept of Ukrainian identity. Yes, Russia has interfered, but it is not Russian interference that has created Ukrainian disunity but rather the haphazard way the country was assembled from parts that were not always mutually compatible. To the flaw at the inception of an independent Ukraine, one must add the baleful effects of the Soviet Communist heritage both Russia and Ukraine have inherited.

Some Basics

1. The current territory of the Ukrainian state was assembled, not by Ukrainians themselves but by outsiders, and took its present form following the end of World War II. To think of it as a traditional or primordial whole is absurd. This applies a fortiori to the two most recent additions to Ukraine—that of some eastern portions of interwar Poland and Czechoslovakia, annexed by Stalin at the end of the war, and the largely Russian-speaking Crimea, which was transferred from the RSFSR well after the war, when Nikita Khrushchev controlled the Communist Party of the Soviet Union. Since all constituent parts of the USSR were ruled from Moscow, it seemed at the time a paper transfer of no practical significance. (Even then, the city of Sevastopol, the headquarters of the Black Sea Fleet, was subordinated directly to Moscow, not Kiev.) Up to then, the Crimea had been considered an integral part of Russia since Catherine “the Great” conquered it in the 18th century.
    2. The lumping together of people with strikingly different historical experience and comfortable in different (though closely related) languages, underlies the current divisions. That division, however, is not clear-cut as it was, for example, between the Czech lands and Slovakia, which made a civilized divorce practical. If one takes Galicia and adjoining provinces in the west on the one hand and the Donbas and Crimea in the east and south on the other as exemplars of the extremes, the areas in between are mixed, proportions gradually shifting from one tradition to the other. There is no clear dividing line, and Kyiv/Kiev would be claimed by both.

3. Because of its history, geographical location, and both natural and constructed economic ties, there is no way Ukraine will ever be a prosperous, healthy, or united country unless it has a friendly (or, at the very least, non-antagonistic) relationship with Russia.

4. Russia, as any other country would be, is extremely sensitive about foreign military activity adjacent to its borders. It has signaled repeatedly that it will stop at nothing to prevent NATO membership for Ukraine. (In fact, most Ukrainians do not want it.) Nevertheless, Ukrainian membership in NATO was an avowed objective of the Bush-Cheney administration and one that has not been categorically excluded by the Obama Administration.

So where does this leave us? Some random thoughts:

a. It has been a mistake for all the parties, those in Ukraine and those outside, to treat this crisis as a contest for control of Ukraine.
    b. Obama’s “warning” to Putin was ill-advised. Whatever slim hope that Moscow might avoid overt military intervention in Ukraine disappeared when Obama in effect threw down a gauntlet and challenged him. This was not just a mistake of political judgment—it was a failure to understand human psychology—unless, of course, he actually wanted a Russian intervention, which is hard for me to believe.
    c. At this moment it is not clear, at least to me, what the ultimate Russian intent is. I do not believe it is in Russia’s interest to split Ukraine, though they may want to detach the Crimea from it—and if they did, they would probably have the support of the majority of Crimean residents. But they may simply wish to bolster the hand of their friends in Eastern Ukraine in negotiations over the new power structure. At the very least, they are signaling that they will not be deterred by the United States from doing what they consider necessary to secure their interests in the neighborhood.
    d. Ukraine is already shattered de facto, with different groups in command of the various provinces. If there is any hope of putting it together again, there must be cooperation of all parties in forming a coalition at least minimally acceptable to Russia and the Russian-speaking Ukrainian citizens in the East and South. A federation with governors elected locally and not appointed by a winner-take-all president or prime minister would be essential. Real autonomy for Crimea will also be required.
    e. Many important questions remain. One relates to the principle of “territorial integrity.” Yes, that is important, but it is not the only principle to consider. Russians would argue, with some substance in the argument, that the U.S. is interested in territorial integrity only when its interests are served. American governments have a record of ignoring it when convenient, as when it and its NATO allies violated Serbian territorial integrity by creating and then recognizing an independent Kosovo. Also, by supporting the separation of South Sudan from Sudan, Eritrea from Ethiopia, and East Timor from Indonesia.

So far as violating sovereignty is concerned, Russia would point out that the U.S. invaded Panama to arrest Noriega, invaded Grenada to prevent American citizens from being taken hostage (even though they had not been taken hostage), invaded Iraq on spurious grounds that Saddam Hussein possessed weapons of mass destruction, targets people in other countries with drones, etc., etc. In other words, for the U.S. to preach about respect for sovereignty and preservation of territorial integrity to a Russian president can seem a claim to special rights not allowed others.
    http://jackmatlock.com/2014/03/ukrai...n/#comment-353

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information