Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slovakian passenger has explosives planted in his luggage and manages to fly

`│´ 1312019132512912292038191221 Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    North Germanic
    Ethnicity
    northern barbarian
    Country
    Sweden
    Taxonomy
    frosty & bloodthirsty
    Politics
    savaging and pillaging
    Religion
    catheist & evil cat propagandist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default Slovakian passenger has explosives planted in his luggage and manages to fly

Slovakian passenger has explosives planted in his luggage and manages to fly to Dublin in bungled security test

A Slovakian man unwittingly carried hidden explosives on board a flight to Dublin after a botched security exercise, Irish officials revealed.
    A furious Irish Government demanded that Slovakia explain its actions after the unsuspecting electrician was allowed to carry the explosives on the flight at Poprad-Tatry Airport on Saturday.
    The diplomatic row erupted after Slovak airport police randomly planted powerful RDX in the 49-year-old's bag, but took three days to warn authorities he had unwittingly evaded scanning machines.
    Real bomb components were hidden in the luggage of nine unwitting passengers. Eight were detected, but one bag containing around three ounces of RDX plastic explosive traveled undetected through security on to a Danube Wings aircraft.
    The bewildered passenger did not find out about the explosives cache until Irish police, acting on a Slovak tip-off, raided his apartment yesterday morning.
    A major Dublin crossroads was shut down and neighbouring buildings were evacuated as a precaution while Irish Army experts inspected the explosive.
    The man was later released without charge after three hours' detention.
    A Garda source said: 'It seems his bag was picked randomly - he is not in any trouble with us.
    'We have verified the whole thing through proper police channels and security chiefs in the Slovak authorities.'

One security source said: 'If that much explosive was detonated, it would cause serious damage, it would kill if it went off in a plane - it's an unbelievable mistake.'
    'It doesn't bear thinking about to put that kind of explosive on a plane, unaccounted for.'
    Although the explosive would have been powerful enough to down a plane, the plastic explosive on its own was considered stable and no detonators were discovered.
    Airport police in Bratislava contacted their counterparts in Dublin about the high-level breach yesterday and gardai were then informed and raided an apartment in Dublin's north inner city.
    The passenger, who it is understood has been living in Ireland for a number of years, knew nothing about it.
    Roads around the Dorset Street apartment complex, close to Dublin's main thoroughfare O'Connell Street, were sealed off for about an hour and a half, with five buildings evacuated as a security cordon was maintained.
    The passenger who carried the explosives on the four-hour flight was travelling back to Ireland, where he has been working for three years, after a Christmas break at home.
    An army bomb disposal team found the explosives still concealed in his luggage but described them as in a 'stable state'.
    Irish security personnel also carry out airport tests, but use security personnel, not unwitting travellers.
    An Irish Government spokesman said: 'The Minister for Justice, Dermot Ahern, has ordered a full report into what has transpired.'
    The Slovakian Embassy in Dublin declined to comment but Slovakian deputy prime minister Robert Kallinak has conveyed his profound regret to Mr Ahern.
    The Department of Foreign Affairs said it had also been contacted about the incident.
    A spokeswoman said: 'It is awaiting a full report in the matter and will, as necessary, pursue the matter with the authorities of the country concerned.'
    Fine Gael justice spokesman Charlie Flanagan said: 'Steps must be taken immediately to rectify current security shortfalls.
    'Given that the terrorist threat is now global and that no nation or people are immune from that threat, this security breach and the fact that the breach went undetected are serious issues of concern.'

Last Online
    06-24-2010 @ 02:59 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Humanoid
    Ethnicity
    Euro
    Ancestry
    Na'vi from Pandora
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Taxonomy
    Blue skinned w/ cat ears
    Politics
    Blue Pride World Wide
    Religion
    Skeptic?
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

0 Not allowed!

It is interesting the article glosses over the concept of using innocent people as security guinea pigs. No big deal. The main thing is no one was hurt. Oh, the police perhaps were rough with him and he was interrogated for 3 hours, but no harm. Anything goes in the name of protecting us from terror, I guess, even violating the human rights of your fellow citizens and, um.. terrorizing them.

Last Online
    07-08-2012 @ 11:21 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtogermanic
    Ethnicity
    European Blood, American Soil
    Ancestry
    Barbarians the Romans couldn't handle
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Philadelphia
    Politics
    Tradition and improvisation
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33

0 Not allowed!

This story reinforces my sense of Slovakia as a country to avoid if possible. I've posted before about the habit of its train conductors to find some trivial irregularity in tickets as an excuse to pressure passengers for bribes. The first time I visited I got change from a merchant in what turned out to be an obsolete version of its currency. I don't blame the Czechs for jettisoning that turd-shaped inspiration for Molvanîa.

It is too bad, it has some great castles including that of Elizabeth Bathory. I also might brave its primitive travel conditions to see the altarpiece in the old German outpost of Levoca, although I could say the same of certain churches in Ethiopia.

Banned
    Last Online
    06-18-2012 @ 11:36 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    "...ice people, Europeans, colonizers, oppressors, the cold, rigid element in world history."
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Virginia
    Taxonomy
    Nordic
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Loddfafner View Post
    This story reinforces my sense of Slovakia as a country to avoid if possible. I've posted before about the habit of its train conductors to find some trivial irregularity in tickets as an excuse to pressure passengers for bribes. The first time I visited I got change from a merchant in what turned out to be an obsolete version of its currency.
    I never had any problems in Slovakia, but I had those exact same incidents happen in Hungary. I guess all those countries have the potential and it's luck of the draw whether you get it or not.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,537
    Given: 1,428

0 Not allowed!

Oh dear, now that would make for one interesting evening if that happened to me!
    I never had any problems in Slovakia, but I had those exact same incidents happen in Hungary. I guess all those countries have the potential and it's luck of the draw whether you get it or not.
    I think it depends whether if you piss them off or not. Unless the guy just doesn't like you.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtogermanic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Philadelphia
    Politics
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SwordoftheVistula View Post
    Maybe it is true that Slovakia is Northern Hungary after all, or, to be balanced, Hungary is southern Slovakia.

Numinous Theurgist Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    French & German
    Ancestry
    Aquitània (Maternal), Vörpommern (Paternal)
    Country
    Quebec
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid/Nordomediterranid + Minor Dinaroid (Agrippa)
    Politics
    Neo-Feudalist; Neu-Ordenstaat / Aristocratist
    Religion
    Esoteric Traditionalism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49

0 Not allowed!

They probably forgot to set off the explosives after they planted them.

Was the man Muslim? Wouldn't surprise me.

They practised similar terror exercises during 9/11, and 7/7.
    "Free, do you call yourself? Then I would hear your ruling thought, and not merely that you have escaped from a yoke. Are you one of those who had the right to escape from a yoke? Many a one has cast away his last worth when he has cast away his servitude. Free from what? What does that matter to Zarathustra! But your fiery eyes should tell me: free for what?" - Thus Spoke Zarathustra

Banned
    Last Online
    06-18-2012 @ 11:36 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    "...ice people, Europeans, colonizers, oppressors, the cold, rigid element in world history."
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Virginia
    Taxonomy
    Nordic
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Yugoslav View Post
    I think it depends whether if you piss them off or not. Unless the guy just doesn't like you.
    I don't think the moneychanger ripping me off in the train station was doing it because I pissed him off or he didn't like me. It's because they spot you as a foreigner who won't know any better and will just pay up and not report them to the authorities. Also I noticed that whenever the Budapest transit police made me pay an extra fee for 'not having proper ticket', it was always other English speaking people who they made do so along with me.

Last Online
    07-28-2017 @ 01:37 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    OxiClean
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 16

0 Not allowed!

I don't travel in train through Hungary and Slovakia without a switch knife, says enough; Had several robbery attempts, and in Hungary they (conductor and a COP!!!) even tried to take my passport away and sell it back to me :S

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtogermanic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Philadelphia
    Politics
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SwordoftheVistula View Post
    whenever the Budapest transit police made me pay an extra fee for 'not having proper ticket', it was always other English speaking people who they made do so along with me.
    The Budapest subway system has a confusing rule for which lines you can change to using which kind of ticket. A lost tourist just trying to find his way through the labyrinths of one of the major subway hubs could easily stray accidentally into the wrong zone.

Fortunately I followed the advice in my guidebook to get a day pass. The gleeful conductors that swooped in to catch me seemed disappointed that my papers were in order.

As for trains, one needs to get the right reservation for certain trains which may require you to stand in a different line. Some ticket sellers won't tell you that. Also, the trains between Budapest and Bratislava have a choice of routes. If the train takes the slightly longer route, you need a ticket that pays for those extra miles. If you have the normal ticket, the conductor will give you a choice between paying a fine and paying him a bribe to overlook it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information