-
    Politics
    -
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default Baby in stroller survives, mom dies after car runs red light

Baby in stroller survives, mom dies after car runs red light: Toronto police

By The Canadian Press

TORONTO - A mother was killed and her 12-week-old baby boy thrown from his stroller, but unharmed, when the two were struck by a car running a red light, Toronto police said Tuesday.

The 28-year-old woman was pushing her child across an intersection in the city's west end when the tragedy occurred just before 1 p.m.

While the child was knocked out of the stroller by the impact his mother became pinned under the vehicle.

The woman was pronounced dead just 15 minutes later, while the child was take to hospital and found not to have any injuries, said Const. Hugh Smith.

"The mother was pushing the stroller. They crossed the centre of the road and then they were struck by a... Toyota (Camry)," Smith said.

"The stroller was knocked over, the baby thrown out slightly."

The driver of the car was thought to be an 83-year-old woman, police said.

While initial media reports suggested the women tried to push the stroller out of harm's way in a desperate attempt to save her baby, Smith said he doesn't know if that actually happened.

People nearby immediately came forward to take care of the infant, said Smith.

"The witness that was ahead of them walking... picked up the child and secured the baby," he said.

Stanfield said he took the infant into his SUV to keep him warm until emergency officials arrived.

"The baby has been transferred to hospital but no injuries, thank goodness," Smith added.

The empty, dark-coloured stroller sat by the side of the road as police conducted their investigation.

Police said the woman's next of kin needed to be notified before they can release her name.
    This is not the first time this has happened - young drivers have a horrible rep, but it's the old ones that are most often involved in incidents where the blame can be so clearly placed on the driver. I wonder if enough is being done to prevent old people who are no lonegr fit to drive from doing so...and why do they not do the responsible thing and forego driving of their own free will.

NO! Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Feline
    Ethnicity
    Snowshoe
    Country
    Canada
    Politics
    I voted once, it was horrible
    Religion
    All my 9 lives are devoid of meaning
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 103
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Oh, I know. Old drivers have killed more people where I live and still nothing is done about it. And they say it's discrimination to test them more rigorously. Give me a break!

And remember over in BC when the car crashed into a Sikh wedding procession killing 6? That was an old guy too, and he says he doesn't even remember doing it.

Thread Information