oh look. the curve is flattening.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,431
    Given: 241

1 Not allowed!

Default Why good looking people feel so entitled

The Entitlement of Really, Really Ridiculously Good Looking People
    Apr 16, 2014 · 23,007 views

There may be more to life, in the words of Derek Zoolander, than being really, really ridiculously good looking. But it never hurts to look good in a suit.

As Priceonomics has covered previously, attractive people don't just enjoy an advantage in the dating world, they have a leg up in life. Thanks to the halo effect that good looks engender, people attribute positive traits -- from honesty and kindness to intelligence and loyalty -- to people for no more reason than their winning smiles and nice abs.

Social scientists have mapped out innumerable ways that this halo effect benefits attractive people. One Harvard researcher calculated that attractive people earn, on average, 10-15% more than workers of below average beauty. For the same reason that attractive salespeople do a better job selling everything from beer to enterprise software, hiring an attractive CEO leads to a bump in a company's stock price -- at least in the short run. Thanks to all the advantages afforded to them, attractive people seem to occupy more than their fair share of leadership positions.

According to Stanford researchers, they may feel entitled to.

In 2008, doctoral student Peter Belmi was struck by how Americans' spending on beauty and grooming products continued to grow despite the recession. This interest eventually led to his forthcoming article with management professor Margaret Neale, "Mirror, Mirror on the Wall, Who's the Fairest of Them All: Thinking that One is Attractive Increases the Tendency to Support Inequality."

The two researchers attempted to investigate the effect of good looks on feelings about inequality by prompting study participants to write about times when they felt more or less attractive. With this nudge, the researchers then measured their attitudes about inequality.

As a Stanford GSB article relates, the biggest surprise for Belmi was the discovery that "most people seem to endorse hierarchy when they think they're attractive and oppose it when they think they're not." Subjects prompted to perceive themselves as attractive were more likely to agree with statements such as "Lower wages for women and ethnic minorities reflect lower skill and education level" and less likely to support and give money to a cause like the Occupy movement. In contrast, those prompted to remember times when they felt unattractive were more likely to see hierarchies as reflecting circumstances other than hard work and ability -- and to support shaking up the established order.

Additionally, Belmi and Neale found that prompting people to view themselves as more attractive resulted in the subjects believing that they should be part of a higher social class. The same GSB article quotes the two researchers: many people "see the social world as fundamentally stratified not only on the basis of who has wealth, education, and occupational prestige, but also on the basis of who is beautiful and attractive."

Like many social science experiments, the effort to isolate attractiveness as a variable makes the experiment seem fragile. Will the impact of a memory hold true outside controlled, experimental conditions? Is the measured effect significant compared to all the other competing factors that influence our views?

Still, the Stanford researchers' work suggests that attractive people more readily endorse hierarchies, perhaps reflecting a long established link between beauty and power dating back to ideas of nobility, if not evolutionary origins.

When people learn about the halo effect that attractive people enjoy, the strength of the effect almost always surprises them -- although never its existence. But given Belmi and Neale's conclusion, maybe people aren't as clueless as they let on. It makes a lot of sense to endorse hierarchies as fair when you already have a leg up.

This post was written by Alex Mayyasi. Follow him on Twitter here or Google Plus. To get occasional notifications when we write blog posts, sign up for our email list.
    http://priceonomics.com/the-entitlem...culously-good/

Elder of Zyklon Prisoner Of Ice's Avatar
    Last Online
    05-27-2015 @ 05:53 PM
    Ethnicity
    Neanderthal
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Trondelag
    Religion
    Blond Jesus
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19,981
    Given: 24,682

8 Not allowed!

People usually look good because they have good genetics. They generally make way more money, but they also don't make more money than people with comparable IQ. They make more money because they really are smarter and healthier.

Basically good things all cluster together, bad things do as well. So if you see a short doctor with twisted face and ugly eyes, chances are you are better off requesting a more handsome doctor.
    Out Of Africa Theory is a lie.
    http://www.theapricity.com/forum/sho...88#post3431588
    And a mighty angel took up a stone like a great millstone, and cast it into the sea, saying, Thus with violence shall that great city Babylon be thrown down, and shall be found no more at all.

Last Online
    04-09-2019 @ 02:14 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Sinid
    Ethnicity
    Han Chinese
    Ancestry
    The Celestial Empire
    Country
    United States
    Region
    California
    mtDNA
    You can mtDNA this!
    Taxonomy
    Nordsinid/Tungid
    Hero
    Yo momma last night
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28,801
    Given: 25,904

7 Not allowed!

I don't feel entitled.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    10-01-2018 @ 08:01 AM
    Ethnicity
    Prussian
    Ancestry
    Poland
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Prussia
    Hero
    None
    Religion
    Philosophy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,819
    Given: 4,919

2 Not allowed!

Beauty is the most readily apparent sign of biological, genetic success (the only success that truly matters in life). People know this on an instinctive level; even uglier people admire and want to promote beauty.

Beauty is privilege; and privilege is beauty. Beauty is the creme of the crop. All societies want their most beautiful to represent them, and take them higher in biology. People naturally want their best members of the group to represent the whole, ergo, the Beautiful have entitlements.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 04:57 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    North-West European, minor North-Amerindian
    Ancestry
    British Isles (77%) Scandinavia (10%) France (9%) North-Amerindian (4%)
    Country
    Canada
    Y-DNA
    I-L233
    mtDNA
    X2b4
    Taxonomy
    Keltic Nordid / Atlantid
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    North-Sea Aesthetic
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,466
    Given: 15,620

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
    People usually look good because they have good genetics. They generally make way more money, but they also don't make more money than people with comparable IQ. They make more money because they really are smarter and healthier.

Basically good things all cluster together, bad things do as well. So if you see a short doctor with twisted face and ugly eyes, chances are you are better off requesting a more handsome doctor.
    This, what we consider "good looks" comes from good genetics. Lack of disease, facial symmetry et cetera...

Banned
    Last Online
    06-05-2021 @ 05:39 PM
    Ethnicity
    Boolgar
    Country
    European Union
    Y-DNA
    I2a1a2b (I-L621)
    mtDNA
    H3
    Taxonomy
    Paleo Atlantid (actually Dinarid + Westbaltid parents)
    Hero
    Database error
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,773
    Given: 1,799

3 Not allowed!

I am adding myself to this thread.I even have the same suit as them.If I could marry myself,I'd totally do it.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Caucasoid
    Ancestry
    European
    Country
    Bhutan
    Region
    Aboriginal
    mtDNA
    K1c1
    Taxonomy
    Alpinised Nordid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,040
    Given: 2,328

8 Not allowed!

Beauty + narcissism is ugly to me, you can be self-assured openly enough, but not to the point of extreme vanity and sliminess regarding how 'great and special' you are to others... that usually has the opposite effect, but i guess extreme narcissists do seem to get along with one another if they're good at being sycophants.
    Viking Norwegian + Celt (2.983)
    Viking Danish + Celt (3.546)
    Celt + Saxon (4.316)
    Viking Danish + Saxon (4.601)
    -----------------------------------
    Young Merovingian Noble
    Genetic Distance: 3.1472
    Sample Match! 99% closer than others users

Elder of Zyklon Prisoner Of Ice's Avatar
    Last Online
    05-27-2015 @ 05:53 PM
    Ethnicity
    Neanderthal
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Trondelag
    Religion
    Blond Jesus
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19,981
    Given: 24,682

5 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by zhaoyun View Post
    I don't feel entitled.

You are probably the most handsome chinese man I have seen. Not that I think they are usually unattractive or anything.
    Out Of Africa Theory is a lie.
    http://www.theapricity.com/forum/sho...88#post3431588
    And a mighty angel took up a stone like a great millstone, and cast it into the sea, saying, Thus with violence shall that great city Babylon be thrown down, and shall be found no more at all.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ironic
    Ethnicity
    Persian
    Country
    Georgia
    Y-DNA
    I2
    mtDNA
    wasted to care
    Taxonomy
    MUH TEBID
    Politics
    are the problem
    Hero
    danishmend
    Religion
    is a private matter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,250
    Given: 19,152

1 Not allowed!

The grass is always greener on the other side.

Banned
    Last Online
    11-07-2014 @ 09:45 AM
    Ethnicity
    Paleo-Balkan
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Calabria
    Taxonomy
    Pontid + Alpine
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,549
    Given: 6,832

4 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
    You are probably the most handsome chinese man I have seen. Not that I think they are usually unattractive or anything.
    I second this!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information