Sweden
    Region
    Scania
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,742
    Given: 1,082

0 Not allowed!

Default Spanish vs Portuguese

I've got a somewhat basic understanding knowledge in the spanish language but I'm looking to learn more to maybe someday become fluent in it, however I'm also quite interested in learning portuguese in the future but my question is how easy is portuguese to learn for a spanish speaker? Which one is considered the most difficult to learn?
    Thanks in advance.

Todos contra nos Y nos contra todos Empecinado's Avatar
    Last Online
    05-15-2022 @ 10:07 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iberian
    Ethnicity
    Spaniard
    Country
    Spain
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,866
    Given: 4,236

2 Not allowed!

Portuguese when written is very similar to Spanish, problem is that when is spoken (especially Portuguese from Portugal) is difficult to understand for Spanish speakers due phonology.

Banned
    Last Online
    07-16-2014 @ 11:57 PM
    Ethnicity
    Italia
    Country
    Italy
    Hero
    bario
    Religion
    fuck this bullshit
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 15

0 Not allowed!

portuguese is similiar to italian

Banned
    Last Online
    08-16-2016 @ 10:05 PM
    Ethnicity
    Andy Milonakis
    Country
    Sweden
    Region
    Scania
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bario Malotelli View Post
    So portuguese is easier if you speak italian to understand ? From what I've heard italian is very easy to learn if you already speak spanish though. Also is the difference between the portuguese spoken in Portugal and the one spoken in Brazil very big?

Banned
    Last Online
    07-16-2014 @ 11:57 PM
    Ethnicity
    Italia
    Country
    Italy
    Hero
    bario
    Religion
    fuck this bullshit
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 15

0 Not allowed!

If you are italian you can easily understand most of portuguese words,im think spanish is different from italian ,for example im understand better portuguese than spanish,btw idk about brazilians but i guess some of them speak dialects

Last Online
    03-23-2024 @ 09:55 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF27
    mtDNA
    J1c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,742
    Given: 3,217

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Bouba Diop View Post
    So portuguese is easier if you speak italian to understand ? From what I've heard italian is very easy to learn if you already speak spanish though.
    No, he was probably trolling. Portuguese is very similar to Spanish like Empecinado said, which is clear if you look at the two languages in written mode. What makes it look very different is the spoken accent. Here's an example of how different it is, the weather in spanish (castillian) and portuguese:

It sounds different, but if there was a transcript of what they were saying it would be very similar.
    But answering your initial question, i would say portuguese would be an easy language for a spanish speaker if they started learning it.

Also is the difference between the portuguese spoken in Portugal and the one spoken in Brazil very big?
    It's the same thing, with minor differences and a big difference in accent. Kind of like american english vs british english.

Banned
    Last Online
    08-16-2016 @ 10:05 PM
    Ethnicity
    Andy Milonakis
    Country
    Sweden
    Region
    Scania
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Well the portuguese one sounds like she gives you more time to hear what she is actually saying especially for a novice, spanish people sometimes sounds like a machine gun spitting out 20 words in one second which makes me question my abilities in their language... But thanks for the answers and it made much more sense than what Bario Malotelli wrote.

Last Online
    02-04-2018 @ 06:50 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic-Romance (Italian side); Celtic
    Ethnicity
    1/2 North Italian, 1/4 Irish, 1/4 Scott
    Country
    Italy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,085
    Given: 1,407

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bario Malotelli View Post
    I've been one month in Portugal and the only person I understood was a girl from Spain. If you understand Portuguese that well, it means you're South Italian.

Last Online
    03-23-2024 @ 09:55 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF27
    mtDNA
    J1c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,742
    Given: 3,217

1 Not allowed!

Well the portuguese one sounds like she gives you more time to hear what she is actually saying especially for a novice, spanish people sometimes sounds like a machine gun spitting out 20 words in one second which makes me question my abilities in their language... But thanks for the answers and it made much more sense than what Bario Malotelli wrote.
    Yes, that's one of the few only difficulties a portuguese speaker may face while listening to a spanish speaker: how fast they can talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Scandalf View Post
    I've been one month in Portugal and the only person I understood was a girl from Spain. If you understand Portuguese that well, it means you're South Italian.
    Italian (north or south) has no real connection to portuguese, apart from a common latin root. The closest languages to portuguese are: galician (some people argue it's the same language), leonese, castillian and after those maybe catalan. After catalan i really don't know which one is closest.

Last Online
    01-05-2024 @ 08:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    White
    Country
    Portugal
    Hero
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 160
    Given: 71

3 Not allowed!

I've got a somewhat basic understanding knowledge in the spanish language but I'm looking to learn more to maybe someday become fluent in it, however I'm also quite interested in learning portuguese in the future but my question is how easy is portuguese to learn for a spanish speaker? Which one is considered the most difficult to learn?
    Thanks in advance.
    If you understand Spanish, you can understand written Portuguese almost with no effort:

A buen entendedor pocas palabras bastan (Spanish [a ˈβwen entendeˈðor ˈpokas paˈlaβɾas ˈbastan])
    Para bom entendedor, poucas palavras bastam (European Portuguese [p(ə)ɾə ˈβõ ẽtẽdɨˈðoɾ ˈpo(w)kəʃ pəˈlavɾəʒ ˈβaʃtə̃w], Brazilian Portuguese [paɾə ˈbõw ĩtẽdeˈdoʁ ˈpoːkɐs pɐˈlavɾɐz ˈbastɐ̃w])
    Spanish:
    Pero, a pesar de esta variedad de posibilidades que la voz posee, sería un muy pobre instrumento de comunicación si no contara más que con ella.
    La capacidad de expresión del hombre no dispondría de más medios que la de los animales.
    La voz, sola, es para el hombre apenas una materia informe, que para convertirse en un instrumento perfecto de comunicación debe ser sometida a un cierto tratamiento.
    Esa manipulación que recibe la voz son las "articulaciones".
    Portuguese:
    Porém, apesar desta variedade de possibilidades que a voz possui, seria um instrumento de comunicação muito pobre se não se contasse com mais do que ela.
    A capacidade de expressão do homem não disporia de mais meios que a dos animais.
    A voz, sozinha, é para o homem apenas uma matéria informe, que para se converter num instrumento perfeito de comunicação deve ser submetida a um certo tratamento.
    Essa manipulação que a voz recebe são as "articulações".
    From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differ...and_Portuguese

They share a lot of vocabulary, most words are equal or very similar in a predictable way.
    The biggest difference is the accent, Portuguese has a much more complicated set of rules to pass from the written words to speech:
    http://cvc.instituto-camoes.pt/cpp/a...pitulo2_1.html

Spanish sounds faster because it's a syllable timed language while portuguese is a stress timed language with a lot of vowel reduction like english, for example:

English:
    disappearance = dɪ.səˈ.pɪə.rəns
    possibilities = pɒ.sɪ..lɪ.tiz

Portuguese:
    desaparecimento = dzə.pər.si.m.tu
    possibilidades = psi.bli.dadʃ

Spanish:
    desaparición = de.sa.pa.ri.θjon
    posibilidades = po.si.bi.li.da.des

Also is the difference between the portuguese spoken in Portugal and the one spoken in Brazil very big?
    There are a lot of accents in Brazil and in Portugal, some are more "apart" than others.

Check this thread: http://www.theapricity.com/forum/sho...tuguese-Accent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information