Thread: School used student laptop webcams to spy on them at school and home

Last Online
    11-05-2023 @ 04:45 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Brabant, Holland, Guelders and some Hainaut.
    Country
    Netherlands
    Politics
    Norway Deal-NEXIT, Dutch Realm Atlanticist, Habsburg Legitimist
    Religion
    Sedevacantist
    Relationship Status
    Engaged
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34,729
    Given: 61,129

0 Not allowed!

eek School used student laptop webcams to spy on them at school and home

School used student laptop webcams to spy on them at school and home

According to the filings in Blake J Robbins v Lower Merion School District (PA) et al, the laptops issued to high-school students in the well-heeled Philly suburb have webcams that can be covertly activated by the schools' administrators, who have used this facility to spy on students and even their families. The issue came to light when the Robbins's child was disciplined for "improper behavior in his home" and the Vice Principal used a photo taken by the webcam as evidence. The suit is a class action, brought on behalf of all students issued with these machines.

If true, these allegations are about as creepy as they come. I don't know about you, but I often have the laptop in the room while I'm getting dressed, having private discussions with my family, and so on. The idea that a school district would not only spy on its students' clickstreams and emails (bad enough), but also use these machines as AV bugs is purely horrifying.

Schools are in an absolute panic about kids divulging too much online, worried about pedos and marketers and embarrassing photos that will haunt you when you run for office or apply for a job in 10 years. They tell kids to treat their personal details as though they were precious.

your privacy is worthless and you shouldn't try to protect it.
    Update: The school district admits that student laptops were shipped with software for covertly activating their webcams, but denies wrongdoing.
    Robbins v. Lower Merion School District (PDF) (Thanks, Roland!)

(Image: IMG_6395, a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike image from bionicteaching's photostream)

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    06-06-2013 @ 07:33 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

My notebook has a led that turns on along with the webcam, isn't that standard? At any rate, my internet is to slow for anyone to spy on me. But just in case, I keep the webcam disabled...

The Offspring of Neo-Cons Nordish Persephone's Avatar
    Last Online
    07-18-2012 @ 11:43 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Anglo + European-American
    Taxonomy
    Nordish
    Politics
    Pure Capitalism
    Religion
    Spirituality, Reincarnation
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

0 Not allowed!

Now thats creepy. I am officially creeped out by webcams and will never use one.

Last Online
    06-24-2010 @ 02:59 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Humanoid
    Ethnicity
    Euro
    Ancestry
    Na'vi from Pandora
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Taxonomy
    Blue skinned w/ cat ears
    Politics
    Blue Pride World Wide
    Religion
    Skeptic?
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Asega View Post
    If true, these allegations are about as creepy as they come. I don't know about you, but I often have the laptop in the room while I'm getting dressed, having private discussions with my family, and so on. The idea that a school district would not only spy on its students' clickstreams and emails (bad enough), but also use these machines as AV bugs is purely horrifying.
    Yes. Exactly. What was there to stop a perverted administrator from watching students undress?

The fact that the school knew this spy camera was part of the hardware and used it at all is enough to be outraged over. The school admins should be crucified upside down and pelted with rocks by parents. Do you know what the 'improper behavior' was? The kid was eating candy in his own home.

NBC 10 got an interview with the kid (and his lawyer) at the center of the Lower Merion School District scandal. According to their story, we now know the supposed inappropriate behavior that the School District snapped a photo of, via Blake's Web cam: The district thought they caught him popping pills. Blake Robbins says they were Mike-N-Ike's candies.

The 16-year-old from Penn Valley, Pa. claims Matsko showed him photos remotely taken with the built-in webcam on his MacBook, according to the suit. In the photos, the teen was allegedly holding two pill-shaped objects, says Robbins' attorney Mark Haltzman. School officials believed they were drugs, while the family maintains they were simply Mike-N-Ike candy. "They were trying to allege that…those were pills and somehow he was involved in selling drugs," Halzman said Friday. ~ citypaper.net

Last Online
    09-15-2011 @ 08:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

0 Not allowed!

So how many students were caught jerking off?

Thread Information