Taxonomy
    K-N
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,893
    Given: 10,361

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_Alien View Post
    About the subject.
    I don't think having one universal language would be good (in a sense that all other languages dissapear).
    Everyone should be able to grow up learning and speaking their own national language. After all, language is important part of one nation's culture. What should be next? Should we all forget who and what we are? No thank you. I want to have possibility to choose what I want to learn and which language I want to speak.

However, I do think having second universal language is a good thing. I guess English already is that. It would be easier to communicate with people from other countries....but we shouldn't sacrifice our own culture to be able to do that. It's better to know two languages than just one anyway, IMO
    I completeley and entirely agree with you

Banned
    Last Online
    09-19-2018 @ 05:46 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Cushite
    Ethnicity
    Somali
    Country
    Canada
    Politics
    You will not like it
    Hero
    el-Hajj Malik el-Shabazz
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23,148
    Given: 18,117

2 Not allowed!

"Queens English" still dominates its original sphere of influence (ie the commonwealth and former dominion nations). American English dominates the airwaves, but not as much when it comes to grammar/spelling/punctuation.

During the civil war in Somalia, two words reflected more than any other just how much my life changed. They were "Raashin" and "Jerikaan". Those two Somali words were as important to me then as I guess breathing. Raashin in Somali meant the daily quota of food, fuel, water you were allowed while you were in refugee camps and jerikaan was the plastic pail women used to fetch water from wells or faucets.

All my life I thought these words were Somali...that is, until I came to Canada and realized that raashin was a Somali bastardization of "ration" and jerikaan meant Jerrycan:

two words I thought were distinctly Somali were actually butchering of English words...and the othe rfunny thing about is was how insignificant ration and jerrycan were as terms aswell as daily usage in conversations in their language of origin!

I found this book from the early 20th century ppromoting the "Americanization" of the world (which was British dominated at the time mind you):

https://archive.org/details/americanizationo01stea

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic, Romance and Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Quebec
    Taxonomy
    K-N
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Wadaad View Post
    "Queens English" still dominates its original sphere of influence (ie the commonwealth and former dominion nations). American English dominates the airwaves, but not as much when it comes to grammar/spelling/punctuation.

During the civil war in Somalia, two words reflected more than any other just how much my life changed. They were "Raashin" and "Jerikaan". Those two Somali words were as important to me then as I guess breathing. Raashin in Somali meant the daily quota of food, fuel, water you were allowed while you were in refugee camps and jerikaan was the plastic pail women used to fetch water from wells or faucets.

All my life I thought these words were Somali...that is, until I came to Canada and realized that raashin was a Somali bastardization of "ration" and jerikaan meant Jerrycan:

[img]pic[/img]

two words I thought were distinctly Somali were actually butchering of English words...and the othe rfunny thing about is was how insignificant ration and jerrycan were as terms aswell as daily usage in conversations in their language of origin!

I found this book from the early 20th century ppromoting the "Americanization" of the world (which was British dominated at the time mind you):

https://archive.org/details/americanizationo01stea

wow, Waadad, that's actually VERY interesting. Thanks for sharing!

I'll take a look at the link, thanks!!

Last Online
    03-08-2017 @ 12:18 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Ancestry
    Dinaric
    Country
    Serbia
    Region
    Mississippi
    Politics
    Conservative/Classical Liberal
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,199
    Given: 1,401

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lean View Post
    Hi, everyone!

I am doing a research project on Linguistic Imperialism.
    I have to analyze how English teaching and learning is influenced by economic and political world-leading powers. Such us for example, how we mainly learn American and British English, as opposed to other varieties; and how culture is “imposed” in the learning.

Do you think this somehow affects your learning (both for better or worse)?
    Discuss!!

I’d like to know your thoughts about English linguistic imperialism, as it’d be helpful for me to develop the topic.

Thanks to all in advance!!

ALL opinions are helpful!
    A good philologist must enjoy such topic.

There are two reasons for current status of English language, the legacy of British Colonial Empire and the position of USA after the WW2 where most of the means of global communication were developed. You should also pay attention to usage of French before English became dominant and how it was changed as a diplomatic language with English.

How it effects my learning? I learned English from computer as a kid and most of my learning tools were developed by American companies. Obviously, I learned American English. However, I don't see it as bad, I'm glad I learned it and will I say ass or arse is really not so important to me as long as other English speakers understand.

Quote Originally Posted by rashulla View Post
    There's no need for many languages, because practically there's no point in that, it's all social construct, why should I worry about religions, when I can simply just play league of legends and do what I love and what makes me happy, I mean for someone else it might be going out with friends or being in love, whatever. Just think about it, you're not gonna live forever, there will be Germany, USA and Russia but one day there will not be you anymore, so spend your life in doing things you love.
    And what if I prefer speaking my native language with other people who use the same language and prefer that language to English? Your theory can't give an answer and if you try denying me my right to use my native language you are an authoritarian person and if you are really anarcho-capitalist you don't want to give impression of one, do you?

Elder of Zyklon Prisoner Of Ice's Avatar
    Last Online
    05-27-2015 @ 05:53 PM
    Ethnicity
    Neanderthal
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Trondelag
    Religion
    Blond Jesus
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19,981
    Given: 24,682

3 Not allowed!

Yes, I happen to work at the English Language Imperialism Institute, and we make sure to add lots of emphasis to works like work, duty, responsibility and debt repayment. That way lazy south euros learning our language will be motivated to finish up their work on time.
    Out Of Africa Theory is a lie.
    http://www.theapricity.com/forum/sho...88#post3431588
    And a mighty angel took up a stone like a great millstone, and cast it into the sea, saying, Thus with violence shall that great city Babylon be thrown down, and shall be found no more at all.

Last Online
    11-18-2014 @ 05:44 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Yugoslav
    Country
    European Union
    Taxonomy
    Mongoloid
    Politics
    Ultra liberal
    Hero
    Heimerdinger
    Religion
    Hihilistic hedonism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 42

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ars Moriendi View Post
    You truly are a textbook example of the postmodern consumer. Nothing inside, except petty desires.
    Thank you for your post. It provides a good illustration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beitel View Post
    Exactly. So why waste your time on things for yourself instead of dedicating your time to these institutions that will last longer than you? Why not dedicate your life to the greater good? The collective?
    It's all just social construct nothing more, why should I care about culture and new world order, when I have League Of Legends and my precious shawty.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic, Romance and Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Quebec
    Taxonomy
    K-N
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Minesweeper View Post
    A good philologist must enjoy such topic.
    I do enjoy it very much

There are two reasons for current status of English language, the legacy of British Colonial Empire and the position of USA after the WW2 where most of the means of global communication were developed. You should also pay attention to usage of French before English became dominant and how it was changed as a diplomatic language with English.
    You're right!!

How it effects my learning? I learned English from computer as a kid and most of my learning tools were developed by American companies. Obviously, I learned American English. However, I don't see it as bad, I'm glad I learned it and will I say ass or arse is really not so important to me as long as other English speakers understand.
    Interesting!! Technology is definitely influential when it comes to language.

Banned
    Last Online
    02-08-2015 @ 02:33 AM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,275
    Given: 1,534

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by rashulla View Post
    It's all just social construct nothing more, why should I care about culture and new world order, when I have League Of Legends and my precious shawty.
    I think of two reasons. One, self-improvement as an individual.
    Two, responsibility and the sense of justice and correct thing to do with other people, and your environment.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Yugoslav
    Country
    European Union
    Taxonomy
    Mongoloid
    Politics
    Ultra liberal
    Hero
    Heimerdinger
    Religion
    Hihilistic hedonism
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

And what if I prefer speaking my native language with other people who use the same language and prefer that language to English? Your theory can't give an answer and if you try denying me my right to use my native language you are an authoritarian person and if you are really anarcho-capitalist you don't want to give impression of one, do you?
    Actually you nationalists are authoritarian creatures, here everyone who doesn't hate and who wouldn't slaughter Croats, Serbs, Bosniaks, Albanians, Americans and LGBT people is considered as traitor and not worthy of living by that nationalistic brains, if I can consider that stuff in your heads brain at all. I'm speaking for entire Balkans, even more nationalistic mentally in general. I didn't said you shouldn't speak your native language, but who likes to read subtitles, I mean theoretically speaking.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Yugoslav
    Country
    European Union
    Taxonomy
    Mongoloid
    Politics
    Ultra liberal
    Hero
    Heimerdinger
    Religion
    Hihilistic hedonism
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ars Moriendi View Post
    I think of two reasons. One, self-improvement as an individual.
    Two, responsibility and the sense of justice and correct thing to do with other people, and your environment.
    Nobody of us are born with ethnic or religious affiliation, we're brainwashed to think we're German, Russian, Serbian, Albanian or Hungarian, but in the end it simply have a very little impact on our everyday lives.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information