Banned
    Last Online
    04-12-2018 @ 09:31 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic-Celtic
    Ethnicity
    German-Irish-Scot 1/8th Italian
    Ancestry
    Co. Mayo, Baden, Hessen Darmstadt, Rhine-Hessen, Berliner, Co Monaghan, Lower Saxony, and Co. Cork
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Lower Saxony
    Taxonomy
    Faelid+North Atlantid
    Politics
    Libertarianism
    Religion
    Master Morality/Prussianism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 257
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Apollonaris View Post
    That sounds more like the modern deist position than the agnostic position.

The good thing about religion, IMO, is the sense of continuity of tradition, ritual, and community that it fosters. The unfortunate aspects of religion, IMO, are the fanaticism, dogmaticism, and anti-intellectualism it seems to foster in certain quarters and among certain people. In this day and age, the more unfortunate aspects of religion seem to be gaining the upper hand, even though more people today are probably not religious than at any other time in history. Although this could change radically. We are passing through a very turbulent time in history.
    This is true I like certain things about religion but usually most people like the fundamental side of religion. They like it because they know they can manipulate a larger amount of people better when they come from a more radical point of view. A moderate point of religion that is expounded in a rational way never seems to take root in the conscious of the masses. Fanaticism, Dogmaticism, and Anti-Intellectualism are the means through which religious elite are capable of controlling and subduing the masses to pure idiocy and lunacy. I think the more moderate a religion the less tension and conflict it produces the more freedom it allows as well as civility and order.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-16-2012 @ 01:22 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic / keltic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    GB % Swe, Irl.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by GeistFaust View Post
    I always thought that Atheism was the denial of there being any divine creator that made all things that is why I am not an Atheist. I am more of an agnostic theist with some sympathy for religious ideals. An Agnostic theist aknowledges that it is most probable that a divine being exists but that its relation to this world and our connection to it is not capable of being determined thematically. Than again I have a distaste usually for semitically inspired religion because they tend to lack a purely European mindset. Basically the European has fooled himself that in the more Eastern inspired religions that there is anything authentically European contained within them.
    Regardless of fine distinctions, little more than clever nonsense. In the real world it's either yes, no or perhaps.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic-Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Co. Mayo, Baden, Hessen Darmstadt, Rhine-Hessen, Berliner, Co Monaghan, Lower Saxony, and Co. Cork
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Lower Saxony
    Taxonomy
    Faelid+North Atlantid
    Politics
    Libertarianism
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfred View Post
    Regardless of fine distinctions, little more than clever nonsense. In the real world it's either yes, no or perhaps.
    I do not know understand who or what you are referring this to if you are referring it to fanatical, fundamentalist, and dogmatic oriented religious institutions I would agree that a lot of is cleverly developed theological nonsense.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic / keltic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    GB % Swe, Irl.
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I do not know understand who or what you are referring this to if you are referring it to fanatical, fundamentalist, and dogmatic oriented religious institutions I would agree that a lot of is cleverly developed theological nonsense.
    To Atheism, Agnosticism and Theism.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic-Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Lower Saxony
    Taxonomy
    Faelid+North Atlantid
    Politics
    Libertarianism
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfred View Post
    To Atheism, Agnosticism and Theism.
    In a sense it is in another its another necessity for people to concoct unnecessary belief systems because it serves as there way to cope with reality and their environment.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic / keltic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    GB % Swe, Irl.
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

It all comes out in the wash.

Last Online
    04-18-2012 @ 09:13 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mediterranean
    Ethnicity
    Canadian
    Country
    Canada
    Politics
    Machiavellian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

0 Not allowed!

This is true I like certain things about religion but usually most people like the fundamental side of religion. They like it because they know they can manipulate a larger amount of people better when they come from a more radical point of view.
    It also allows people, who otherwise would have no rational reason, to justify their dislike and hatred of certain groups of people (e.g. Jews, Muslims, etc).

A moderate point of religion that is expounded in a rational way never seems to take root in the conscious of the masses. Fanaticism, Dogmaticism, and Anti-Intellectualism are the means through which religious elite are capable of controlling and subduing the masses to pure idiocy and lunacy. I think the more moderate a religion the less tension and conflict it produces the more freedom it allows as well as civility and order.
    I don't know. I live in Canada, so maybe my experiences are not common, but religious extremism here is rare. You still run into the odd fundamentalist here and there, but it's the exception and not the rule. In general, Canadians are very tolerant and respectful of religious differences and of those of us who aren't religious.

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" -- Epicurus

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic-Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Lower Saxony
    Taxonomy
    Faelid+North Atlantid
    Politics
    Libertarianism
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

It also allows people, who otherwise would have no rational reason, to justify their dislike and hatred of certain groups of people (e.g. Jews, Muslims, etc).

I don't know. I live in Canada, so maybe my experiences are not common, but religious extremism here is rare. You still run into the odd fundamentalist here and there, but it's the exception and not the rule. In general, Canadians are very tolerant and respectful of religious differences and of those of us who aren't religious.
    I think it also allows people with no rational people to feel empowered in their justification of hating any rational person in general. I live in the deep south where fundamentalism and radicalism run amok. Try living in my boots for a day its like hell when you try to argue with them on anything especially if its rationally oriented.

Last Online
    04-18-2012 @ 09:13 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mediterranean
    Ethnicity
    Canadian
    Country
    Canada
    Politics
    Machiavellian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

0 Not allowed!

I think it also allows people with no rational people to feel empowered in their justification of hating any rational person in general. I live in the deep south where fundamentalism and radicalism run amok. Try living in my boots for a day its like hell when you try to argue with them on anything especially if its rationally oriented.
    My encounters with fundamentalists have been decidedly unpleasant. You have my sympathy, sir.

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" -- Epicurus

Last Online
    03-28-2018 @ 05:01 AM
    Ethnicity
    Czarnian
    Politics
    IRON PILL
    Hero
    Diogenes of Sinope
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,011
    Given: 33,403

0 Not allowed!

My encounters with fundamentalists have been decidedly unpleasant. You have my sympathy, sir.
    [YOUTUBE]MDT7no8OiLU[/YOUTUBE]
    'It's time to chew ass' - Dick Kickem

Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread Information