@
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default Gloucestershire’s cheese rolling cancelled for health and safety fears

A centuries-old cheese rolling contest has fallen victim to health and safety — but not because of the broken bones and dozens of other injuries sustained each year.
    Organisers of Gloucestershire’s annual competition have cancelled the event due to be held on May 31 because of concerns raised by the police and local authority over traffic and crowd control.
    Until a few years ago the contest at Cooper’s Hill, near Gloucester, was a small local event. Now, thanks in part to TV and the internet, it draws thousands of spectators.
    Richard Jefferies, a member of the organising committee, said: “Last year 15,000 spectators came to the event and we just could not cope. Landowners were also worried by the amount of damage done by people climbing over fences.”

The decision follows traffic chaos at last year’s races, at which competitors ran down the 1-in-2 gradient hills in pursuit of bouncing 7lb double Gloucester cheeses. The difficulty of obtaining public liability insurance after the record turnout is also believed to have been an issue.
    Gloucestershire County Council said it would work with the organisers to try to have the event reinstated.
    Mark Hawthorne, the council’s cabinet member for regeneration, said “The cheese rolling is a great Gloucestershire event that brings thousands of visitors in to the county.

“Like many other people in Gloucestershire, I am really disappointed to hear about the cancellation, which had nothing to do with the county council.
    “I have been told that the event was cancelled by the organisers following a problem with their insurers. I’m going to get in touch with them to see if there’s anything we can do to help get this great Gloucestershire event back on track.
    “Cheese rolling has been going on for hundreds of years and we must ensure that this great tradition continues.”
    The organisers have already promised to reintroduce the race in “revised form” in 2011.

Last year roads were blocked for miles around by traffic trying to get to the event and finding nowhere to park. Scores of motorists who parked on the verges of the A46 Cheltenham-Stroud road in their desperation to get to the races were booked by council wardens.
    The decision to cancel this year’s races was greeted with disappointment by regular competitors.
    Robin Hammond of the Really Exciting Adventure Club said: “I do understand the issues about the crowd but wish that the local authorities had worked harder to ensure that we don’t lose another part of our English culture to issues of crowd health and safety.
    “Admittedly last year had a record turnout to the event which only goes to show how great this event is, with it being watched and talked about worldwide.
    “I am sure that the local area benefits from the custom the crowds bring so surely the local authorities have had time enough to consider the health and safety of this event”

Source

When I first settled down to the local evening news I had actually sighed so heavily and snorted through my nose, that the missus actually asked what was wrong. (she normally leaves me alone when I'm angry and watching the telly). I was halfway through my "fuck those PC bastards destroying our English heritage...etc...etc" when it was said the event had been cancelled because of simple audience numbers.

*phew*

I thought the event spokesman had the correct attitude in being upset the rolling had been cancelled, but the event will be back and with a different, pro-elf n safety stance which hopefully won't be touched.

Here's to next year when we West Country folk can laugh at you foreigners breaking bones and pride at our silly customs

Last Online
    06-26-2022 @ 09:55 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 140

0 Not allowed!

I read this too, and was equally concerned that this great Mercian custom was under threat from political correctness.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfhere View Post
    I read this too, and was equally concerned that this great Mercian custom was under threat from political correctness.
    You want to step outside? I'll show you Mercian lads what kept England alive when you lot had sucked up to the foreign men from the North.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by BeornWulfWer View Post
    You want to step outside? I'll show you Mercian lads what kept England alive when you lot had sucked up to the foreign men from the North.
    If you're from Gloucestershire you're one of those Mercian lads yourself. Or a traitor.

Last Online
    05-08-2012 @ 08:16 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic-Celtic-Romance
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Irish
    Country
    England
    Politics
    Summon the Fyrd
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

0 Not allowed!

Source

When I first settled down to the local evening news I had actually sighed so heavily and snorted through my nose, that the missus actually asked what was wrong. (she normally leaves me alone when I'm angry and watching the telly). I was halfway through my "fuck those PC bastards destroying our English heritage...etc...etc" when it was said the event had been cancelled because of simple audience numbers.

*phew*

I thought the event spokesman had the correct attitude in being upset the rolling had been cancelled, but the event will be back and with a different, pro-elf n safety stance which hopefully won't be touched.

Here's to next year when we West Country folk can laugh at you foreigners breaking bones and pride at our silly customs
    My wife now knows she is not alone, I got slapped for throwing the ashtray at the T.v. She doesn't see Peter 'cunt' Hain as an excuse.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

If you're from Gloucestershire you're one of those Mercian lads yourself. Or a traitor.
    Eat my shit and die.

Wessex till I die.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Eat my shit and die.

Wessex till I die.
    Gloucestershire is a Mercian county. In fact, Gloucester became the capital of Mercia when Tamworth was sacked by the Danes. That map you show is a modern construct, invented by the Wessex regionalists. You're a traitor I'm afraid, prepared to sell out to a neighbouring power. I don't have to spell out how badly traitors tend to be regarded.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Gloucestershire is a Mercian county. In fact, Gloucester became the capital of Mercia when Tamworth was sacked by the Danes. That map you show is a modern construct, invented by the Wessex regionalists. You're a traitor I'm afraid, prepared to sell out to a neighbouring power. I don't have to spell out how badly traitors tend to be regarded.
    I'm squatting....

"After the invasions of the 890s Wessex and English Mercia continued to be attacked by the Danish settlers in England and by small Danish raiding forces from overseas, but these incursions were usually defeated, while there were no further major invasions from the continent. The balance of power tipped steadily in favour of the English. In 911 Ealdorman Aethelred died, leaving his widow, Alfred's daughter Aethelflaed, in charge of Mercia. Alfred's son and successor Edward the Elder, then annexed London, Oxford and the surrounding area, probably including Middlesex, Hertfordshire, Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire, from Mercia to Wessex. Between 913 and 918 a series of English offensives overwhelmed the Danes of Mercia and East Anglia, bringing all of England south of the Humber under Edward's power. In 918 Aethelflaed died and Edward took over direct control of Mercia, extinguishing what remained of its independence and ensuring that thenceforth there would be only one Kingdom of the English. In 927 Edward's successor Athelstan conquered Northumbria, bringing the whole of England under one ruler for the first time. The Kingdom of Wessex had thus been transformed into the Kingdom of England."

I am a traitor to nobody but the country I serve.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I'm squatting....

"After the invasions of the 890s Wessex and English Mercia continued to be attacked by the Danish settlers in England and by small Danish raiding forces from overseas, but these incursions were usually defeated, while there were no further major invasions from the continent. The balance of power tipped steadily in favour of the English. In 911 Ealdorman Aethelred died, leaving his widow, Alfred's daughter Aethelflaed, in charge of Mercia. Alfred's son and successor Edward the Elder, then annexed London, Oxford and the surrounding area, probably including Middlesex, Hertfordshire, Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire, from Mercia to Wessex. Between 913 and 918 a series of English offensives overwhelmed the Danes of Mercia and East Anglia, bringing all of England south of the Humber under Edward's power. In 918 Aethelflaed died and Edward took over direct control of Mercia, extinguishing what remained of its independence and ensuring that thenceforth there would be only one Kingdom of the English. In 927 Edward's successor Athelstan conquered Northumbria, bringing the whole of England under one ruler for the first time. The Kingdom of Wessex had thus been transformed into the Kingdom of England."

I am a traitor to nobody but the country I serve.
    Yes, you're correct. Mercia was annexed by Wessex in 918. The other kingdoms were annexed too, within a few years. So you might as well say that all of England is Wessex - so why not just say England? However, prior to this, the borders of the kingdoms had been pretty much stable for hundreds of years, certainly as regards the border between Mercia and Wessex at the Bristol Avon. If you live in Mercia, and identify with Wessex, then you're a traitor.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

If you live in Mercia, and identify with Wessex, then you're a traitor.
    Wrong. You are sane and wish to align with the all conquering nature of the real English.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information