PHP Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 113
Why short men make better husbands
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why short men make better husbands

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German, French Huguenot, British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,948
    Given: 45,034

2 Not allowed!

Default Why short men make better husbands

Why short men make better husbands

Short men make better husbands, and make up in wisdom what they lack in stature, says self-confessed small man, Adam Gopnik.

Just a few weeks ago, an interesting and lengthy paper by a pair of sociologists from New York University made a lot of noise in what I suppose would these days be called the community of short men - a community to which, as it happens, I rather inarguably, one might say entirely, belong.

Its subject was what is called assortative mating - the way people divide themselves up, two by two in that ark-like fashion, for life. It was one of those wonderfully solemn sociological papers in which the utterly self-evident is systematically recast as the cautiously empirical.

The authors point out early on in their report that "social psychological research suggests that attractive people are favoured in numerous situations" (a thing you would not have guessed without social science) and soon after we learn that attractive and physically fit men report going on more dates and having sex more frequently than others.

But the conclusion of the paper, once one has weeded through, is striking and well documented. It is simply that short men make stable marriages. They do this in circumstances of difficulty and against the odds and consistently over ages and income groups, and they do it with the shorter women they often marry, but also with the taller women they sometimes land. Short men marry late but, once they do get married, tend to stay married longer and, by social science measures, at least - I assume this means they ask the short men's wives (I hope so anyway) - they stay happily married, too.

Many assertions about the assortative can be put forward to explain why this is so, but trust me, it is not hard to figure it out. There is a simple reason short men make stable marriages. It is because short men are desperate. Short men live in a world of taller men and know that any advantage seized is better kept. Desperation makes short men good husbands. We know the odds instinctively, and knowing that we have lucked out, intend to continue playing a good thing.

It is not, I should rush to add, that short men are desperate to please. One of the most interesting findings of the study is that short men actually do less housework in a typical marriage than tall men do - though the study points out delicately, this may be because with tall men, "the nature of their housework is different".

In other words, we are too short to reach the tops of closets where the heavy house cleaning equipment is kept. No, short men do not make stable marriages because they are desperate to please. It is because they are desperate to prevail.

An instinctive sense of the odds, born in schoolyards and playgrounds, tells the short man to redouble his efforts in every area of life - the office, the motorway, (God forbid) the golf course.

This is of course called the Napoleonic complex, but in truth it is not so much that short men become Napoleonic as that Napoleon was typically short - in his ambition, his drive, his uxorious devotion to his wife Josephine, whom he left only because he wanted to leave the French with a male heir. Hers was the last name on his lips, in the last sentences that he uttered, dreaming of that old stability.

How tall was Napoleon?

Contemporary accounts state that Bonaparte's height was 5ft 2in, but at that time, the French measured 13 inches to the foot (Napoleon himself oversaw France's conversion to the metric system). Given this discrepancy, Napoleon's height would have been 67 inches, or 5ft 7in in modern measurements - about the same height as the current French president, Francois Hollande, and taller than his predecessor, Nicolas Sarkozy.

If we look up - or rather down, even below the knees of the short, to the ground itself, we find this same truth embodied as an economic principle, where it is called the curse of resources. Countries with vast natural resources, such as oil and copper and gold, tend to do less well economically than countries that have none - the short people countries, in other words. This is because resources, easily found, are easily squandered.

Countries and city-states with few or no resources - the short lands, one might call them - must rely on their ingenuity and effort, as Singapore and Switzerland do. They end up being more productive despite - indeed, because - they have so much less to work with. They have made, so to speak, stable marriages with the planet.

Well, what of short rock stars? I have been hearing you asking that question for the past two paragraphs. Don't they make unstable supermodel marriages? Isn't it really a question more of status than simple stature?

Well, first of all - are there short rock stars? An online list of short rock stars turns up people like Angus Young of AC/DC and Flea - but surely these are 2nd or 3rd XI rock stars? A rock star nicknamed Sting is a rock star. A rock star nicknamed Flea is not really a rock star. Angus Young, yes, is certainly a star - but a rock star of a very self-consciously short kind, famous, as we all know, for wearing schoolboy outfits onstage.

In this way indeed, short men (including short rock stars) in their desperation, shrewdly piggyback on one of the few human predispositions that I think can actually be called hardwired - what we might call the neotenic illusion.

By this I mean our readiness to think that anything that has the short stature and plump cheeks and rounded body of a human baby must actually be like a human baby. If we did not think babies were hopelessly cute, after all, we would kill them for being so exhausting.

And so panda bears and chipmunks, and short men too, have smuggled their way into our affections through the same cognitive door that was meant to open only for the infants. A typical penguin is as full of rage, violence and dignity as a tiger but they resemble our young, and so are pinned as adorable. They are classified as cute, as short men are, too.

But there is another, more easily overlooked truth that short people know that resource-short countries don't. The concept of shortness among men at least is surprisingly elastic. There is a period in the life of a short man - between his early adolescent unhappiness at being short, and his later awakening to the miracle of having achieved so much despite it - when his own shortness becomes invisible to him.

With our suits hemmed and altered, the waist cinched in by a painfully sympathetic tailor, we give the same appearance, in a mirror at least, with no comparison (I almost wrote "no competition") around, of being about the same as anyone else.

For the prime of a short man's life - Napoleon is the model here again - his shortness is not thematised at all. On horseback in the paintings by David or the Baron Gros, or enthroned by Ingres, Napoleon may look moon-faced, and the little ringlet that dangles above his eye may seem dandyish, but the last thing he looks is short.

It is only later on Elba and St Helena that his diminutive stature becomes part of his self-knowledge. The true Napoleonic moment is when age and circumstances conspire to remind the short man of his stature. It was when the emperor had lost the last battle that the truth returned. I am no longer an emperor. I am merely a short man on a lonely island.

So, short men learn early this essential truth - that long odds make for good lives. A man's mate should exceed his height, not to mention his little grasp, or what's a heaven for?

It is not an accident, I think, that the great periods of civilisation tend to follow on and then appear not in moments of abundance alone, but of renewed relief.

They come shortly after some disaster that has given an entire community the same sense of having made it by the skin of their teeth that a short man feels, looking gratefully at his wife in the early morning.

Renaissance Florence appeared in the wake of the black plague that halved its population. The Paris we love most, that of the impressionists and the Belle Epoque, rose with the smouldering ruins of the Franco-Prussian war still visible in its centre.

They were reduced - shortened, one might even say - but they clung to pleasure. Entitlement and its disappointments make wars. Desperation and gratitude build cities.

Subscribe to the BBC News Magazine's email newsletter to get articles sent to your inbox.

Are you taller than your husband or shorter than your wife?
    Help support Apricity by making a donation

Banned
    Last Online
    03-22-2020 @ 06:58 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Reptile
    Ethnicity
    Dragon
    Country
    Argentina
    Y-DNA
    R1a-M458
    mtDNA
    H6a1b
    Taxonomy
    Cro-Ho-Ho
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,583
    Given: 5,443

2 Not allowed!

they have to compensate

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Bosniak
    Ancestry
    Bosanska Krajina
    Country
    Belgium
    Politics
    Hero
    TITO
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,187
    Given: 1,740

1 Not allowed!

I've always hated short men, they are always nervous and loud.

Gustave H

0 Not allowed!

Interesting thread. Every now and then I'll see a guy several inches shorter than his girlfriend walking around, I find it to be a tad funny and awkward. What do you guys think about this?

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    scumbag
    Country
    England
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H11a
    Taxonomy
    North atlantid
    Hero
    Satan
    Religion
    without sin
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,736
    Given: 8,694

4 Not allowed!

All the married women I had affairs with had short husbands. They only make good husbands but bad lovers I guess.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    04-26-2023 @ 01:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    na
    Country
    Peru
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,110
    Given: 363

0 Not allowed!

Napoleon was 5'7" (or 1.70m) in todays measurements. In the 1800s, a height of 1.70m was considered a fairly average height for a European man.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    01-17-2018 @ 04:41 AM
    Ethnicity
    Mare
    Country
    Andorra
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,783
    Given: 2,629

0 Not allowed!

Height is such an issue in our society.

Last Online
    09-28-2023 @ 05:52 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Pilot
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Trondheim
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a
    mtDNA
    U5a1b1
    Taxonomy
    Nordid - Borreby
    Politics
    "Right wing extremist"
    Hero
    Erich Hartmann; Hans-Ulrich Rudel; Wernher von Braun; Charles Lindbergh
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,252
    Given: 3,832

0 Not allowed!

I doubt there's much of a correlation.
    "The greatest sign of inferiority is from those who demand to be equal." - Friederich Nietzsche

Wir sichern die Freiheit unseres Volkes.

Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:09 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Glory Boy and Ukrainian
    Ethnicity
    93.75% White European, 6.25% Serbian
    Ancestry
    Shoshi (Dukagjin)
    Country
    Albania
    Politics
    Independence for the Caucasus
    Hero
    Chief Keef
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 684
    Given: 1,342

0 Not allowed!

Gheg Highlanders do not approve of this thread

Last Online
    02-13-2022 @ 08:04 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11,500
    Given: 12,446

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei the 2nd View Post
    Napoleon was 5'7" (or 1.70m) in todays measurements. In the 1800s, a height of 1.70m was considered a fairly average height for a European man.
    According to Polish sources he was only 1.68 m. Polish queen born in 14th century Hedwig von Anjou of Hugarian/Bosnian/Polish descent was above 1.75 m. Try to compare how they looked like considering four hundred year gap...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information