Ethnicity
    -
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,275
    Given: 1,534

1 Not allowed!

Default ‘Campaigning to join Russia’: Eastern Latvia activists

Activists in eastern Latvia ‘campaigning to join Russia’

Activists in Latvia’s Latgale region, close to the Baltic state’s border with Russia, have been campaigning for the area to join Russia.

Ukrainian online newspaper Ukrainska Pravda has reported, with reference to the Latvian daily newspaper Diena.

"Activists come to people's homes, distribute leaflets and talk about the possibility of joining Latgale to Russia. They go to schools and other public institutions. There are reports of money being offered to persons holding managerial positions, with an appeal to side with these agitators,” said Gunars Upeniek, the chairman of the council of Latvia’s Kraslava District, UNIAN reports.

According to him, well-to-do citizens will hardly be susceptible to such agitation, but "poorer people can be easily convinced that a neighbouring country might help them."

At the same time, the leaders of most Latgale local councils do not believe there is a threat to security in the region, the newspaper said.

The chairman of the council of Ludza District Alina Gendele (Latgale Party) said that the situation in the town and region is calm, apart from the activities of few elderly people in the former Linderman’s party.

"Why do people think so badly about our country? All young people speak Latvian well. The greatest patriots live in Latvia! People here have to care more about their day-to-day life, rather than support some nonsensical ideas," the chairman of Zilupe District said when commenting on the security situation in the region.

Latvian police have said they encourage residents to report on actions directed against the territorial integrity and constitutional order of Latvia.

----------------------

Latgale:

Last Online
    02-14-2022 @ 12:00 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer-Afrikaner
    Ancestry
    South Africa
    Country
    Canada
    Y-DNA
    R1b1b2a1a2c
    mtDNA
    H3
    Politics
    Afrikaner Nationalism
    Religion
    Calvinism/Reformed Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,279
    Given: 384

0 Not allowed!

I saw this coming. Not Latvia specifically but I was wondering which ex-Soviet state would be next. I would have guessed Belarus.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazimiera View Post
    I'm trying very hard to imagine myself eating my cats with my asshole. It's not working.

Banned
    Last Online
    02-08-2015 @ 02:33 AM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by barbatus View Post
    I saw this coming. Not Latvia specifically but I was wondering which ex-Soviet state would be next. I would have guessed Belarus.
    Remember that Latvia is the country with a highest % of Russian-speaking people from the Baltic States (compared to total population). Not so long ago they tried to make Russian a co-official language in the country.

This year's elections also showed the cohesive political behaviour of the Russian electorate, when they managed to give the most seats in the Riga Parliament to a pro-Russian party.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer-Afrikaner
    Ancestry
    South Africa
    Country
    Canada
    Y-DNA
    R1b1b2a1a2c
    mtDNA
    H3
    Politics
    Afrikaner Nationalism
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Hopefully the situation goes over a little more smoothly than it did in the Ukraine. Think separation could be avoided by granting more rights to the Russian minority (making Russian the second language) or do you think it's too late for that now? It'd be wise of the Latvians, perhaps, to try to appease the minority Russians before Russia decides to support them.

I'm trying very hard to imagine myself eating my cats with my asshole. It's not working.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    -
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by barbatus View Post
    Hopefully the situation goes over a little more smoothly than it did in the Ukraine. Think separation could be avoided by granting more rights to the Russian minority (making Russian the second language) or do you think it's too late for that now? It'd be wise of the Latvians, perhaps, to try to appease the minority Russians before Russia decides to support them.
    Nothing will happen in Latvia in the short term. There are key differences with Crimea, perhaps the most important being the average income of both regions. Crimea was dirt poor, poorer than Russian regions, infrastructure in post-Soviet times was barely maintained, and people were facing a dystopic regime change in Kiev. Not to mention, Sevastopol and the Crimean peninsula are strategic for Russia.

Latlage, same as Köhtlo-Järva in Estonia, profits from being inside an EU member state (from the lower half which means a lot of free money). Riga is possibly the most conciliatory government in the 3 Baltic States, and the region hasn't any significant importance for Russia. If the situation deteriorates a few more levels between EU and Russia, you might see something more serious going on.

For the time being, these activists are probably just testing the ground, seeing what people's responses are, and how the Latvian authorities react to it. Exploratory level.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Macedonian
    Country
    Macedonia
    Taxonomy
    Pontid-CM
    Hero
    Julius Evola
    Religion
    Orthodox
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,157
    Given: 6,705

0 Not allowed!

Nice

Last Online
    01-14-2015 @ 06:17 PM
    Ethnicity
    ♥‿♥
    Country
    Switzerland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,217
    Given: 2,392

2 Not allowed!

Before Soviet rule, there weren't even any Russians there... So I don't get it. Plus they have it better in Latvia than in Russia.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer-Afrikaner
    Ancestry
    South Africa
    Country
    Canada
    Y-DNA
    R1b1b2a1a2c
    mtDNA
    H3
    Politics
    Afrikaner Nationalism
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ars Moriendi View Post
    Nothing will happen in Latvia in the short term. There are key differences with Crimea, perhaps the most important being the average income of both regions. Crimea was dirt poor, poorer than Russian regions, infrastructure in post-Soviet times was barely maintained, and people were facing a dystopic regime change in Kiev. Not to mention, Sevastopol and the Crimean peninsula are strategic for Russia.

Latlage, same as Köhtlo-Järva in Estonia, profits from being inside an EU member state (from the lower half which means a lot of free money). Riga is possibly the most conciliatory government in the 3 Baltic States, and the region hasn't any significant importance for Russia. If the situation deteriorates a few more levels between EU and Russia, you might see something more serious going on.

For the time being, these activists are probably just testing the ground, seeing what people's responses are, and how the Latvian authorities react to it. Exploratory level.
    This is why you're one of my favourite posters I've encountered so far. You provide a lot of good insight into this sort of thing.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    05-23-2020 @ 04:24 AM
    Ethnicity
    Whirlpool
    Country
    Canada
    Taxonomy
    Ethereal
    Politics
    Apathetic
    Religion
    Apathy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,436
    Given: 1,629

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lala4 View Post
    Before Soviet rule, there weren't even any Russians there... So I don't get it. Plus they have it better in Latvia than in Russia.
    If Russians don't like it in Latvia they can leave.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    -
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

When Woodrow Wilson and the post WWI clique spoused "self-determination for all nations", the implicit message they sent to the world was that demographic warfare and ethnic cleansing were the strategy of the future (before that, political allegiances were the sole factor). Stalin did this in the Baltic States. Twisting nature of history.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information