PHP Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 113
Black Pete Racist? 'Zwarte Piet' Controversy Leads To 90 Arrests In Netherlands - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Black Pete Racist? 'Zwarte Piet' Controversy Leads To 90 Arrests In Netherlands

Not even a member
    Last Online
    04-23-2024 @ 10:45 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Indo-European, Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Country
    Brunei
    Region
    Russian Turkestan General Governorship
    Y-DNA
    R1a-YP270
    Religion
    Orthodox
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,592
    Given: 8,909

5 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedicta View Post
    If he does, he will invariably hear things like: “if you don’t like it here, why don’t you leave to you own country”. (I've personally been told this by an expat).
    It's normal. Adapt or fucking leave. What you're advocating is liberalism and multiculturalism.

Not even a member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Indo-European, Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Country
    Brunei
    Region
    Y-DNA
    R1a-YP270
    Religion
    Orthodox
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Danielion View Post
    I think it makes the Dutch more realist about ethnicity, though not necessarily more racist. Being born in a country and still raised in a foreign culture still makes you 'foreign' in a way. We also have the word 'autochtoniseren' when a foreigner is raised in our culture. We're not exclusivist. You can become Dutch if you act it.

(note: us Flemish also use the word 'allochtoon' and allochtonen also identify themselves as allochtoon next to their own ethnicity and they also often identify as 'Dutch' next to that! See it as a Venn diagram! We are the same as Dutch in this specific regard. Probably it's more of a language thing than a culture thing, though.)

Actually we're not that much different from other Europeans. People also speak about 'second generation' or 'third generation immigrants' for people who are born in Europe! Nothing wrong with giving the child a name. Allochtoon is almost the same as the word 'gaijin' in Japan. It's non-derogatory.

But I'm sure cultural marxists will ban it one day.

By the way: this diagram must be taken with a pinch of salt.

It's too much simplified. People can become Dutch, even non-Whites. Usually when someone has foreign traditions he's an allochtoon. Azalea probably has little problems calling herself an allochtoon, next to a Turk. By the way, she doesn't mind it when I call her a 'Dutch Turk'.
    Yes, third-generation immigrants (both parents born in the N.) are counted as autochtoon, as far as I know. There is a significant number of colonial Eurasians (Dutch-Indonesian mix) who are counted as Dutch. Actually, the Netherlands seem a bit saner than some other Euro countries, despite having a reputation of one of the most liberal states. For example, Mark Rutte's party promotes assimilation and a stricter immigration policy. I was surprised when I learned it.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-06-2021 @ 03:29 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Levantine
    Country
    Palestine
    Y-DNA
    J2
    mtDNA
    U3
    Taxonomy
    Taurid
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29,829
    Given: 24,541

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Danielion View Post
    I didn't know Afrikaners also had Zwarte Piet. Never tought other ethnicities in South Africa to be this open minded and understanding (especially not since there's also Anglo influence there from which the current wave of political correctness and incomprehension comes from).
    What I do know is that they celebrate it in the Antilles and that the controversy hasn't reached that region yet neither.

Currently the overwhelming majority supports this Zwarte Piet tradition still. However, as the world seems to hate it, I wonder how long it would last. Either the Dutch will tell the world to 'fuck off', or the Dutch would reluctantly change this tradition (and abandon all established folklore that has developed around Zwarte Piet).
    While in its origin probably less innocent, Zwarte Piet isn't a slave. And children also view Zwarte Piet as their hero though next to the boring Sinterklaas.
    Not all of the world hates the tradition, and yes, my Afrikaner friend once dressed like that even in college, and there wasn't any problems.

Not even a member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Indo-European, Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Country
    Brunei
    Region
    Y-DNA
    R1a-YP270
    Religion
    Orthodox
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Mark Rutte on the Black Pete

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-08-2022 @ 01:35 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Anglo American
    Ancestry
    Anglo/German/Dutch/Norse American
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Oregon
    Y-DNA
    E-V12
    mtDNA
    T2f1
    Politics
    Right
    Hero
    Evola
    Religion
    Traditionalist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23,081
    Given: 56,859

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedicta View Post
    This is a blatantly racist tradition that can only be justified with astounding mental pirouettes and childish rationalizations.

It's the product of a white society that has had little experience with immigration and now has to struggle with the realities of globalization. It’s a problem the Dutch share with other European countries.

This has serious consequences for the concept of Citizenship. The Dutch define nationality ethnically and there is no real sense that the son of an immigrant born in Netherlands is really Dutch. He keeps being referred to as an ‘allochtoon’, a foreigner, and he certainly has no right to criticize the society he partakes in. If he does, he will invariably hear things like: “if you don’t like it here, why don’t you leave to you own country”. (I've personally been told this by an expat).

The situation has grown considerably worse after 9/11 and the murder of the right wing populist Pim Fortuyn.

I thought the Dutch were historically the Europeans most open to diversity and have had quite a diverse population in the largest port cities for hundreds of years? Amsterdam comes to mind, as does the New Netherland colonies.

Either way, how is it a white or European problem? That seems like quite a double standard.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Country
    Belgium
    Y-DNA
    R-CTS241
    mtDNA
    K1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,956
    Given: 11,667

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
    Mark Rutte on the Black Pete
    He's not 100% right though. Last time I saw Antilleans on the television they were also painting their skin black. They are black people (mixed with white), but their brown skin is still different than charcoal.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Country
    Belgium
    Y-DNA
    R-CTS241
    mtDNA
    K1
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Oneeye View Post
    I thought the Dutch were historically the Europeans most open to diversity and have had quite a diverse population in the largest port cities for hundreds of years? Amsterdam comes to mind, as does the New Netherland colonies.

Either way, how is it a white or European problem? That seems like quite a double standard.
    Europeans have become very easily butthurt over non-issues. A fairly recent example is that Hello Kitty song of Avril Lavigne (terrible music though). People said that it's supposed to be offensive to Japanese people because she misrepresents the country lol. The people complaining: all people with a Western culture and predominantly whites who want to prove the world how non-racist they are.

Japanese people themselves didn't mind. They do it themselves with white people and our cultures anyway (parody us) and we don't mind neither.

(warning horrible song)

Japanese response:

Western culture (especially Anglo-Saxon culture) is just insane when it comes to 'racism'. Doesn't apply to the world outside of it.
    Last edited by Dandelion; 11-17-2014 at 05:33 PM.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    10-02-2022 @ 09:38 AM
    Ethnicity
    North Sea
    Country
    China
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,289
    Given: 6,248

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Oneeye View Post
    You are right, however before 1850(to be safe) the biggest cities were diverse but the minorities consisted of mostly Northern European ethnic groups. The only significant ''non-European'' minority in the biggest cities were the Jews.

Banned
    Last Online
    08-09-2015 @ 11:24 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Country
    Italy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,700
    Given: 5,061

0 Not allowed!

Most inhabitants of the Netherlands had not seen any black people until the 1970s, when Suriname became independent. The Netherlands, though big in the slave trade and transport (the Dutch were the largest European slave traders in the 17th century, shipping over half a million slaves to Dutch colonies in the Western Hemisphere and were the last to abolish slavery, at least on paper) never allowed slavery within its own borders.

The Netherlands is actually a quite racist and xenophobic society. Just look at their recent politics and laws. If you're Dutch and marry a foreign spouse, your government's policy is to make you leave the country. Yet, other Europeans and their spouses can move to the Netherlands with no barriers at all. Dutch people whine and complain how no one speaks their language, but when foreigners do, they're derided and insulted that they don't speak perfectly and have blonde hair and blue eyes. Even then, the government wants you to pay $15,000 for a useless course on how to visit the doctor, ask for govt assistance and find a job. Should you already have a job and not need any assistance, then they will threaten to fine you and take away your residency permit (forget getting the passport - not possible) if you don't quit your job and go take a freaking course.

Also, you know it was the Dutch who invented apartheid. right?
    Last edited by TheBlondeSalad; 11-17-2014 at 10:06 PM.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Country
    Belgium
    Y-DNA
    R-CTS241
    mtDNA
    K1
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Hard to debunk each and everything you claim Benedicta, but I think you have exaggerate a lot about Dutch and racism. A foreigner who wants to settle and integrate in Dutch society will find no problems like in most Western countries. Why else would foreigners do so well in the Netherlands? My impression is that when I visit the Netherlands. Foreigners are far better integrated in their society than they are in Flanders. You will far less likely see immigrant riots in the Netherlands than for instance France, the UK, Italy (wink wink). They usually have had a good education, speak grammatically correct Dutch and score well at the job market (unlike most Flemings who butcher their native language, Azalea here knows Dutch grammar better than 90% of the Flemish for instance and I'm not exaggerating; I have talked to her in Dutch before joining any anthroboard).

It's hard to make you think otherwise, because you already made up your mind (coming from an expat even; while expats in any country tend to be far removed from the culture they live in).

The Netherlands aren't xenophobic. They are just not political correct. That's far different than what you claim. I would also like to see sources for your claims.
    Last edited by Dandelion; 11-17-2014 at 05:48 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information