Hail all;

Cooking for one need not be boring, nor budget busting.

I already provided some info here:
http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9629

Building on this...

A small selection of ground spices and dried herbs is a good start and need not be elaborate, small bottles will last 1 or 2 people quite some time; just keep then in a dark, not overly warm, spot. If you have several friends, you can go in on larger containers and parcel them out amongst yourselves.

The basics for me are: salt, garlic, onion, black, white and red pepper, sweet paprika, basil, oregano, parsley and lemon zest

3 liquids are likewise useful: Worcestershire and Soy sauce, and wine you like to drink, not expensive vintage, but good "table" wine.

Dried grains and beans are a solid basis for many meals and are still real affordable.

Also, buying fresh vegetables and fruits, just enough for daily use, will minimize waste.

Here's a simple breakfast of hot, cracked wheat:

Yields 2 servings.

Foodstuffs: 1 c water, 1/2 c cracked wheat, a little salt

Method: Bring water and salt to a boil in a small saucepan. While stirring (I use a whisk), slowly pour in the wheat to prevent lumps. Turn the heat down to a slow simmer, put on the cover and stir occasionally; cook about 15 minutes.

I like to eat it with a little honey, crushed walnuts and a small, chopped apple, or a couple of tablespoons of apricot preserves.

More as the conversation develops...