Tosk
    Country
    Albania
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 165
    Given: 396

0 Not allowed!

Default Rozafa legend

Near the city of Shkodra there is a castle named Rozafa's castle. There is a legend about its creation. Both the castle and the legend are pre-Christian. It goes like this:

The castle was built by 3 brothers. But the walls they built during the day fell during the night. One day, as they were sitting desperate about the walls that wouldn't stand, an old man passes by. After greeting, the old man asked why they were upset and the brothers told the thing about castle's walls.
    The old man said he new the solution but it would be a painful one and the brother wouldn't want to apply it. The brothers said they had to build the castle at any cost and begged the old man to tell the solution.
    - Very well - said the old man - The castle needs a sacrifice. The wife that will bring the food next day should be buried in the walls of the castle.
    Brothers promised to not tell their wives and let the chance decide who's wife would be, but the older brothers explained the situation their wives that night at home.
    The next day the mother asked one by one the wives of older brothers to send the food but they found some justification to not go. Then she asked the wife of the youngest brother, Rozafa.
    She said - I'll go, but I have a little son in breast that I need to feed.
    The sisters in law volunteered to feed him.

The brothers were anxiously waiting who'd bring the food. It was Rozafa. Unlike other days the brothers weren't touching the food. They were staying silent and upset. She asked - why you my husband and my brothers are upset and don't eat the food? - The brothers told the thing with castle's walls and what the old man had proposed as solution.
    Rozafa basically said - If my life needs to end for castle's life to begin, then so be it. But I have a little son in breast, so leave me outside one breast to feed him, leave me outside one hand to caress him and leave me outside one leg to rock his cradle when he cries.

It is a legend about keeping the word. What you notice in this legend (as in all Albanian legends) is that there is no punishing God for not doing so. Nothing bad happens to older brothers and their wives. There is nor rewarding God either. Nothing earns the young brother, he just looses his wife.
    These details are very important to understand the moral of the story.

Can you tell why the legend was created this way?

“You are so... 11:59” Kalimtari's Avatar
    Last Online
    10-05-2019 @ 12:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    Mollusca-Cephalopoda-Octopodiformes-Octopoda
    Country
    Austria
    Region
    Tirol
    Hero
    Cthulhu
    Religion
    Cthulhu
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,601
    Given: 6,731

1 Not allowed!

Last Online
    06-05-2020 @ 05:33 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Paleohaimos
    Ethnicity
    Shqiptar
    Country
    Albania
    Y-DNA
    R1b-CTS9219>BY611
    Politics
    Drenicak
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,544
    Given: 3,463

0 Not allowed!

It's Slavic, just like your origins, most likely.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Religion
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,420
    Given: 12,533

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Skerdilaid View Post
    What?!

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Paleohaimos
    Ethnicity
    Shqiptar
    Country
    Albania
    Y-DNA
    R1b-CTS9219>BY611
    Politics
    Drenicak
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    What?!
    He is into something, I must admit. Post 131: http://www.theapricity.com/forum/sho...e-(map)/page14

OP where do you base your opinion that the Rozafa legend is not Gheg and Albanian, since Kurt here wants to know too? You seem to have a grandeur delusion on Tosk superiority, so perhaps you ought to read one, and I must admit, he is as superior as they come. I suggest you Three Arched Bridge by Kadare for starters.
    Last edited by Skerdilaid; 02-22-2015 at 07:49 PM.

Last Online
    10-03-2018 @ 02:25 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    illyrian
    Ethnicity
    albanian
    Country
    Albania
    Y-DNA
    E1b1b1a2* (E-V13)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 49

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by altin View Post
    Can you tell why the legend was created this way?
    It is pretty clear to me that this is a product of the patriarchal culture of the western Balkans.

It has to do with the dilemma of obeying those who are higher than you in rank at any cost, as was the social order. The beauty is in the honor and nobility in which the said fate was accepted and carried on.

Last Online
    09-25-2015 @ 10:53 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Alban
    Ethnicity
    Tosk
    Country
    Albania
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

More likely you are Albanian speaking Slav and that's why its logic feels foreign.

Quote Originally Posted by kuqezi View Post
    It is pretty clear to me that this is a product of the patriarchal culture of the western Balkans.

It has to do with the dilemma of obeying those who are higher than you in rank at any cost, as was the social order. The beauty is in the honor and nobility in which the said fate was accepted and carried on.
    No, nothing to do with patriarchy. This legend as well as that of Kostandin and Doruntin have both the same theme, going to the extreme to keep the word.
    - What would be the most difficult choice for sacrificing someone?
    - A young woman that has a newborn son and is extremely dedicated to do his mother, like Rozafa. The legend intentionally tries to make the choice as hard as possible.

- What would be the most difficult (impossible really) condition that obstacles someone to keep the promise?
    - His death. In the other legend the earth wouldn't accept Kostandin with his promise still pending.

And as a synthesis of these legends, Albanians have inherited the expression "Shqiptari kur jep fjalen ther djalen".

The next step is answering the question: Why keeping the word was extremely important in the culture of the people that created those legends? That would explain why there is no reward for keeping the word, nor punishment for not doing it.

Not bad for a Tosk deciphering "Gheg culture"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Paleohaimos
    Ethnicity
    Shqiptar
    Country
    Albania
    Y-DNA
    R1b-CTS9219>BY611
    Politics
    Drenicak
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

More likely you are Albanian speaking Slav and that's why its logic feels foreign.

No, nothing to do with patriarchy. This legend as well as that of Kostandin and Doruntin have both the same theme, going to the extreme to keep the word.
    - What would be the most difficult choice for sacrificing someone?
    - A young woman that has a newborn son and is extremely dedicated to do his mother, like Rozafa. The legend intentionally tries to make the choice as hard as possible.

- What would be the most difficult (impossible really) condition that obstacles someone to keep the promise?
    - His death. In the other legend the earth wouldn't accept Kostandin with his promise still pending.

And as a synthesis of these legends, Albanians have inherited the expression "Shqiptari kur jep fjalen ther djalen".

The next step is answering the question: Why keeping the word was extremely important in the culture of the people that created those legends? That would explain why there is no reward for keeping the word, nor punishment for not doing it.

Not bad for a Tosk deciphering "Gheg culture"
    Sure I am, but you are the one making assumptions based on how you understand/absorb such legends. And, actually your logic is foreign, since you don't seem to grasp such concepts of "keeping the word", because to me it comes natural by heart.

The punishment for not keeping the word in most cases was death, my deluded Tosk friend. Have I mentioned that my great grandfather killed his cousin for breaking the Oath? Well there you go then, you are learning Gheg things.

Moral of the legend is to show strength and courage, and also sacrifice for your family.
    Last edited by Skerdilaid; 02-22-2015 at 07:48 PM.

Last Online
    09-25-2015 @ 10:53 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Alban
    Ethnicity
    Tosk
    Country
    Albania
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Sure I am, but you are the one making assumptions based on how you understand/absorb such legends. And, actually your logic is foreign, since you don't seem to grasp such concepts of "keeping the word", because to me it comes natural by heart.

The punishment for not keeping the word in most cases was death, my deluded Tosk friend. Have I mentioned that my great grandfather killed his cousin for breaking the Oath? Well there you go then, you are learning Gheg things.
    In your world, yes. But not in the culture of the people that created the legends. As I said, to understand why there ins't reward or punishment in the legends, you need to understand why was it so important to keep the word?

Killing someone for not keeping the word still doesn't explain why keeping the word was important, because the importance is the cause and the punishment its effect.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Paleohaimos
    Ethnicity
    Shqiptar
    Country
    Albania
    Y-DNA
    R1b-CTS9219>BY611
    Politics
    Drenicak
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

In your world, yes. But not in the culture of the people that created the legends. As I said, to understand why there ins't reward or punishment in the legends, you need to understand why was it so important to keep the word?

Killing someone for not keeping the word still doesn't explain why keeping the word was important, because the importance is the cause and the punishment its effect.

Ok, you have to be more specific of "people" you speak of, and tell us who they are, because we have established so far that it's not Slavic and neither Gheg. FYI such legend only exists on Gheg and Montenegrin folklore.

You simply don't get the legend because you don't understand patriarchal societies, it seems. If you did, you would know that keeping the word, obeying the elderly male, and sacrificing for your kin are the bases of such a culture, specifically for Ghegs. As I said, the moral of the story is how a young mother sacrificed herself to see her son grow and become great.

Also, the object, the castle in this case, doesn't play a significant part, and I would say has no meaning at all, since you seem to be concentrating a great part of your reasoning on it. Though, the tradition of sacrificing animals persist to this day. So, if you enlightened yourself a bit more on Gheg folklore/culture (without quotation marks) you would know that, even today, when Gheg builds his house or a wall he sacrifices a Ram and places the head on the foundation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information