European-American
    Ethnicity
    British-American
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

By Jove we live in a rather large, underdeveloped universe.

Individualist Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    04-13-2019 @ 02:25 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian & Yankee
    Ancestry
    Maternal: Norway Paternal: Massachusetts
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Connecticut
    Politics
    Conservative
    Hero
    Marcus Tullius Cicero and Nikola Tesla
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,884
    Given: 1,005

0 Not allowed!

Default Hawking's warning

Although I have often disagreed with Hawking's cosmological views which have an underlying assumption that just because a theoretical model is mathematically and physically valid, it MUST be true, this time, I tend to agree with him.

I do not accept the incredibly egocentric view, supported by some religions, that this whole, incredibly vast cosmos exists just for us, that we "naked apes" inhabiting one tiny planet of one mediocre star are the most important things in this vast cosmos. It certainly does not appear reasonable that the life-forms of this planet should be unique in the universe.

On the other hand, the statement made by some exobiologists that, given the necessary materials and conditions, life must inevitably arise is not a statement of fact, but of faith. [BTW, exobiology is the only science, the subject matter of which is not known to exist.]

However, though life may be fairly commonplace on planets having suitable conditions, there is no necessity whatsoever that it should be INTELLIGENT life. Intelligence does not necessarily have high survival value. For about
    140,000,000 years, the dominant life forms of the fauna of this planet were of very low intelligence.

Organisms having claws, fangs, armour, and/or high speed of locomotion have no need of intelligence. The dinosaurs were magnificently well-adapted to the ecological niches which they occupied. The hubris and egotism of the human race never cease to amaze me. I have heard it said and seen it written that, because they became extinct, the dinosaurs were a failure ! THEY were dominant for 140,000,000 years; something at least remotely human-like has been here for 4,500,000 years, and THEY were a failure ? HAH !

Intelligence is of survival value only to relatively slow-moving, unarmoured organisms devoid of claws and carnivourous dentition. Such organisms are at a great disadvantage in competition with gigantic fast-moving carnivores.
    Even given intelligence, they could not have competed with the dinosaurs.
    The only mammals contemporary with the dinosaurs were the size of shrews and mice.

It was not until the dinosaurs became extinct that the mammals could dominate Earth's fauna, and not until some very large and dangerous mammals had failed to adapt to changing environmental conditions, that a versatile intelligent primate could emerge. Intelligent life can appear only on a planet where there is no competition from extremely large fast-moving carnivores.

The sequence of favourable events which permitted the emergence of intelligent life on this planet is not very probable and is unlikely to have been replicated on many, if any, other planets. Still, intelligent life-forms MAY have appeared on other planets elsewhere in this galaxy.

It is certainly possible that one or more such species might have developed space travel by now and also possible, though much less so, that they might have solved the problems of interstellar travel. There is no evidence that they even exist, much less that such aliens have visited or are likely to visit this planet.

IF they should, how would they behave ? We have no way whatsoever of knowing. It is useless to speculate about alien psychology and behaviour.
    The only standard by which we speculate about alien behaviour is that of our own species. Applying that standard does not yield encouraging conclusions.
    Technological superiority does NOT imply moral superiority. Indeed, our own experience implies quite the reverse.

Every instance of an encounter between a technologically advanced culture and a less technologically advanced one in OUR history has ended disastrously for the technologically inferior culture. It has almost always resulted in exploitation, enslavement, or extermination .

PERHAPS an alien culture would not behave as badly as we have, but there is absolutely NO reason to assume that it would be less malevolent than ours, much less benevolent. Should we detect an alien culture which might have developed interstellar travel, our wisest course would be to lie low and be as inconspicuous as possible. Were they to discover us, WE DO NOT KNOW HOW THEY WOULD BEHAVE and there is no point in trying to second-guess them.

I know, this is xenophobia. IMO, xenophobia is nothing but common sense.

Jägerstaffel

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Svipdag View Post
    Although I have often disagreed with Hawking's cosmological views which have an underlying assumption that just because a theoretical model is mathematically and physically valid, it MUST be true, this time, I tend to agree with him.

I do not accept the incredibly egocentric view, supported by some religions, that this whole, incredibly vast cosmos exists just for us, that we "naked apes" inhabiting one tiny planet of one mediocre star are the most important things in this vast cosmos. It certainly does not appear reasonable that the life-forms of this planet should be unique in the universe.

On the other hand, the statement made by some exobiologists that, given the necessary materials and conditions, life must inevitably arise is not a statement of fact, but of faith. [BTW, exobiology is the only science, the subject matter of which is not known to exist.]

However, though life may be fairly commonplace on planets having suitable conditions, there is no necessity whatsoever that it should be INTELLIGENT life. Intelligence does not necessarily have high survival value. For about
    140,000,000 years, the dominant life forms of the fauna of this planet were of very low intelligence.

Organisms having claws, fangs, armour, and/or high speed of locomotion have no need of intelligence. The dinosaurs were magnificently well-adapted to the ecological niches which they occupied. The hubris and egotism of the human race never cease to amaze me. I have heard it said and seen it written that, because they became extinct, the dinosaurs were a failure ! THEY were dominant for 140,000,000 years; something at least remotely human-like has been here for 4,500,000 years, and THEY were a failure ? HAH !

Intelligence is of survival value only to relatively slow-moving, unarmoured organisms devoid of claws and carnivourous dentition. Such organisms are at a great disadvantage in competition with gigantic fast-moving carnivores.
    Even given intelligence, they could not have competed with the dinosaurs.
    The only mammals contemporary with the dinosaurs were the size of shrews and mice.

It was not until the dinosaurs became extinct that the mammals could dominate Earth's fauna, and not until some very large and dangerous mammals had failed to adapt to changing environmental conditions, that a versatile intelligent primate could emerge. Intelligent life can appear only on a planet where there is no competition from extremely large fast-moving carnivores.

The sequence of favourable events which permitted the emergence of intelligent life on this planet is not very probable and is unlikely to have been replicated on many, if any, other planets. Still, intelligent life-forms MAY have appeared on other planets elsewhere in this galaxy.

It is certainly possible that one or more such species might have developed space travel by now and also possible, though much less so, that they might have solved the problems of interstellar travel. There is no evidence that they even exist, much less that such aliens have visited or are likely to visit this planet.

IF they should, how would they behave ? We have no way whatsoever of knowing. It is useless to speculate about alien psychology and behaviour.
    The only standard by which we speculate about alien behaviour is that of our own species. Applying that standard does not yield encouraging conclusions.
    Technological superiority does NOT imply moral superiority. Indeed, our own experience implies quite the reverse.

Every instance of an encounter between a technologically advanced culture and a less technologically advanced one in OUR history has ended disastrously for the technologically inferior culture. It has almost always resulted in exploitation, enslavement, or extermination .

PERHAPS an alien culture would not behave as badly as we have, but there is absolutely NO reason to assume that it would be less malevolent than ours, much less benevolent. Should we detect an alien culture which might have developed interstellar travel, our wisest course would be to lie low and be as inconspicuous as possible. Were they to discover us, WE DO NOT KNOW HOW THEY WOULD BEHAVE and there is no point in trying to second-guess them.

This is all well and good, but I feel Hawking's argument that alien life forms would need our resources is weak and an assumption on their behavior as well. That being said, I don't think attracting their attention would be smart - if they do exist - but I'm inclined to believe our insignificance would keep us from being first on the list of targets for an intergalactic armada bent on taking our meager resources.

But then again, maybe Galactus would just devour us.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European-American
    Ethnicity
    British-American
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European-American
    Ethnicity
    British-American
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jägerzen View Post
    This is all well and good, but I feel Hawking's argument that alien life forms would need our resources is weak and an assumption on their behavior as well. That being said, I don't think attracting their attention would be smart - if they do exist - but I'm inclined to believe our insignificance would keep us from being first on the list of targets for an intergalactic armada bent on taking our meager resources.

But then again, maybe Galactus would just devour us.
    Or this guy.

Malarxist-Bidenist
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-03-2022 @ 06:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic, Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European-American
    Ancestry
    Great Britain (early 17th c.), Ireland (19th c.), Elsaß Germany (19th c.)
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Illinois
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Atlantic
    Politics
    Wählt Sozialdemokratisch! 🌹
    Hero
    Aldous Huxley
    Religion
    Hindu - Shakta (शाक्तं)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,782
    Given: 5,353

0 Not allowed!

Looked at from the perspective of the universe, our planet is nothing in the scheme of things. Jupiter pwns us hard size wise and our entire solar system really has nothing unique about it. It is just one among a vast number. Why would aliens even bother in the first place?

Only butthurted clowns minuses my posts. -- Лиссиы

Last Online
    02-15-2011 @ 11:01 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    English
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    England, mostly East Midlands.
    Country
    England
    Region
    Mercia
    Politics
    Life Affirmation
    Religion
    Life Affirmation
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

0 Not allowed!

Originally Posted by Svipdag
    WE DO NOT KNOW HOW THEY WOULD BEHAVE and there is no point in trying to second-guess them.
    It would be ill advised to apply subjective and often irrational human morality to extraterrestrial beings.

I believe that legends and myth are largely made of
    “truth”, and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Indeed it might be a basic characteristic of existence that those who would know it completely would perish, in which case the strength of a spirit should be measured according to how much of the “truth” one could still barely endure-or to put it more clearly, to what degree one would require it to be thinned down, shrouded, sweetened, blunted, falsified.
    Nietzsche

To God everything is beautiful, good, and just; humans, however, think some things are unjust and others just.
    Heraclitus

Gone fishing with Lutiferre SuuT's Avatar
    Last Online
    06-07-2010 @ 07:00 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian Beachbilly
    Ancestry
    Scandinavian
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Nordicised Faelid
    Politics
    MeritAristocracy
    Religion
    Heiðinn: Warrior Caste--> Goði Path
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

0 Not allowed!

There are apparently no avid hunters on the Apricity.
    Often, in our attempts to show people that they do not know what they believe they do, it is exposed that they lack any identity whatsoever - beyond the belief that they know anything at all.

Banned
    Last Online
    04-17-2012 @ 01:31 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Serbo-Montenigger
    Ancestry
    Serbia, Montenegro, Hungary
    Country
    Serbia
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Taxonomy
    Monkey
    Politics
    Against the modern world
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jägerzen View Post
    I have to say Hawking is going out on a limb here. There is little reason to believe that anything we're doing in the insurmountable vastness of space would even be noticed (puny radio wave signals) by a more advanced species or that any species with the ability to reach our planet would 1.) need the type of resources that we have or 2.) be unable to find our resources elsewhere in the universe.

Besides, think about how insignificant we are in comparison.

I am rather to believe that all other planets are quite insignificant comparing to our beloved planet Earth . EARTH has something what other planets don't, Earth has life

There is more than 200 planets discovered around various stars, yet, none of them is like Earth, more like Jupiter

About aliens, well, let them come, I have great rakija just for that. We are known in the world as hospitable nation anyway

p.s. Pluto is not consider a planet anymore, btw

Nobilicist
    Last Online
    10-08-2013 @ 10:05 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ithryn
    Ethnicity
    maiar
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Radojica View Post
    I am rather to believe that all other planets are quite insignificant comparing to our beloved planet Earth . EARTH have something what other planets don't, Earth has life

There is more than 200 planets discovered around various stars, yet, none of them is like Earth, more like Jupiter

About aliens, well, let them come, I have great rakija just for that. We are known in the world as hospitable nation anyway

p.s. Pluto is not consider a planet anymore, btw
    That's because smaller planets like Earth can't be detected by the means that were used to detect gas giants. So surely there are planets like ours possibly even in those systems where large gas giants were discovered, and there is life somewhere, surely, there has to be.
    So, I don't consider our planet that special. In fact if I could I would perhaps move to some other planet and form a colony.
    If I met some friendly advanced aliens I would ask hem to help me in improving humans.
    Last edited by Saruman; 04-28-2010 at 05:57 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information