Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Do British and French people really look that alike?

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,105
    Given: 28,475

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Foreigner View Post
    Very interesting that all modern Celtic and Germanic peoples are so close genetically and it might be so from prehistoric times, in part at least. Strange that northern French at least are not closer than they are. What do you think Bretons are by actual origin? That is, how much British and is their much Gallic in them? Who lived in western Armorica or how many people were there? And about the underlined part of your post, why would ancient Britons be more northern than Germanic admixed modern Britons?
    Irish and Scots are more northern genetically because the original populations must have originated from Northern Europe. That's the only logical conclusion I can come up with. Even in ancient components like ANE Irish and Scots are higher in this. Another possibility is they had not as much Neolithic farmers. Not really sure about why southern English are more southern shifted but maybe originally they were like the Irish and Scots but later waves of immigrants from the Continent shifted them more south in genetics. Hopefully Jackson will weigh in on this.

As far as I'm aware Bretons are quite close to the British.

On the K8 my mother is 0.161975 ANE and I am 0.158429.

Banned
    Last Online
    11-16-2023 @ 05:04 AM
    In a remote province of the Planet of the Apes...
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    Romania
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,706
    Given: 8,357

0 Not allowed!

Actually I was asking why he said that modern Britons are more southern shifted than ancient Britons and I assume the pre-Germanic elements originated in northern France and the Low Countries.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,105
    Given: 28,475

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Foreigner View Post
    Actually I was asking why he said that modern Britons are more southern shifted than ancient Britons and I assume the pre-Germanic elements originated in northern France and the Low Countries.
    I'm sure Jackson will answer when he sees your post but looking at the Hinxton samples they are more similar to Irish and Scots than modern English so this shows that the English population is more southern shifted. I'm not sure about Northern English though. A lot of samples from English people are from Kent and Cornwall.

Last Online
    Today @ 01:30 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    100% Northwest European and Flemish
    Ancestry
    From Flanders ( Koninkjrik België )
    Country
    Belgium
    Y-DNA
    R1a - L664
    mtDNA
    n/a
    Taxonomy
    60% Borreby with strong 40% Keltic Nordid admixture
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,172
    Given: 3

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    Irish and Scots are more northern genetically because the original populations must have originated from Northern Europe. That's the only logical conclusion I can come up with. Even in ancient components like ANE Irish and Scots are higher in this. Another possibility is they had not as much Neolithic farmers. Not really sure about why southern English are more southern shifted but maybe originally they were like the Irish and Scots but later waves of immigrants from the Continent shifted them more south in genetics. Hopefully Jackson will weigh in on this.

As far as I'm aware Bretons are quite close to the British.

On the K8 my mother is 0.161975 ANE and I am 0.158429.
    The only reason why the southern English are more "southerly-shifted" than the Pre-Roman era Brythons is pretty clear. It is particularly Roman occupation as well as later the Norman occupation which brought more "southerly-shifted" component from mainland Europe. Regions of the British Isles which were less influenced like Scotland and obviously Ireland. Normans also brought some of the R1b-DF27 from France to the Isles, though the DF27 subclade of the R1b is still in the minority in the British Islands.

Banned
    Last Online
    09-04-2023 @ 02:54 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ancestry
    Castellanos
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Castile and Leon
    Y-DNA
    Castellanos
    mtDNA
    Castellanos
    Taxonomy
    Spanish paleto culture
    Politics
    Preserving Spanish paleto culture
    Religion
    The only one true Christianism is the Spanish Inquisition
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,689
    Given: 23,946

0 Not allowed!

British and French dont look similar at all. Med influence in French is quite high. Not that does not exit in UK but not in the French level.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Belgium
    Y-DNA
    R1a - L664
    mtDNA
    n/a
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by guyinsf View Post
    You are totally absurd dude! Did you just wake up and stumbled upon this forum a few days ago?
    Real blonde hair exists all over France and I'm not talking about light brown hair. Maybe you've heard of a place called northern France?
    The most dominant phenotypes for France are atlantid and alpines, not med. Med is in the minority.
    There are plenty of nordids in France, you only have to search within this forum to see plenty of french nordic examples posted by many members here.
    I do agree with you that there are plenty of blond/blonde ethnic French people. It is utter nonsense not to think so, unless someone is confusing them with people of relatively recent immigration from Southern Europe like Portugal, Spain or Italy and those from Northern Africa (Algeria, Morocco). However Alpinid and Mediterranid phenotypes are a lot more common in France than in Great Britain and Ireland, when there seem to be an excess of Keltic Nordids. This is why overall, the French generally have lower percentages of blue eyes, blond or red hair than the Britons and Irish who are more of Northern European. Us the Belgians are generally in between the French and British.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Belgium
    Y-DNA
    R1a - L664
    mtDNA
    n/a
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

[QUOTE=Septentrion;4424147]I do agree with you that there are plenty of blond/blonde ethnic French people. It is utter nonsense not to think so, unless someone is confusing them with people of relatively recent immigration from Southern Europe like Portugal, Spain or Italy and those from Northern Africa (Algeria, Morocco). However Alpinid and Mediterranid phenotypes are a lot more common in France than in Great Britain and Ireland, when there seem to be an excess of Keltic Nordids. This is why overall, the French generally have lower percentages of blue eyes, blond or red hair than the Britons and Irish who are more of Northern European. The most common eye colour in the British Isles is blue, that's not the case in France. A high frequency of blue eyes also increases the a higher frequency for a paler skin. A higher frequency of red hair increases the tendency for skin freckling, and higher sun sensitivity. Us the Belgians are generally in between the French and British.
    % of blue eyes average
    Britain = 48%
    Belgium = 28.9%
    France = 20.2%
    Last edited by Septentrion; 05-21-2017 at 01:08 AM. Reason: delete

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Belgium
    Y-DNA
    R1a - L664
    mtDNA
    n/a
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

The French are in my opinion better-looking. They generally have more warmth in their complexion , though some are quite pale. The British and Irish are very pale-complected, regardless of hair colour unless they wearing a fake tan of course. The most striking sight of Britons is those who easily combine dark hair with a very pale skin complexion, freckles, usually light blue eyes. The French tan better, has less of the very small features that Britons have. This is more of a generalization but obviously as everywhere you'll get people who resemble each other. Perhaps I'd say, the North French can sometimes resemble the Brits, but not quite.

Banned
    Last Online
    02-08-2021 @ 10:14 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Euromutt & fag
    Ethnicity
    French (Normandy, Alsace), German (Saxony, Lower Silesia), Spanish Basque (Biskaya)
    Ancestry
    Some cheeky monkeys with opposable first digit
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Occitania
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L20
    Taxonomy
    Probably subnordid
    Politics
    Libtardism, European federalism, anti-nationalism
    Religion
    never complain, never explain
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,268
    Given: 1,561

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Cristiano viejo View Post
    British and French dont look similar at all. Med influence in French is quite high. Not that does not exit in UK but not in the French level.
    Normal. France is located at a southern latitude compared to England, and we have more sunlight. Of course the Brits are lighter than the French.

Following that logic, French people are lighter than Spanish people (my OWDmeter and my butthurtometer both tell me you will strongly disagree.)

Banned
    Last Online
    09-04-2023 @ 02:54 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ancestry
    Castellanos
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Castile and Leon
    Y-DNA
    Castellanos
    mtDNA
    Castellanos
    Taxonomy
    Spanish paleto culture
    Politics
    Preserving Spanish paleto culture
    Religion
    The only one true Christianism is the Spanish Inquisition
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,689
    Given: 23,946

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Melki View Post
    Normal. France is located at a southern latitude compared to England, and we have more sunlight. Of course the Brits are lighter than the French.

Following that logic, French people are lighter than Spanish people (my OWDmeter and my butthurtometer both tell me you will strongly disagree.)
    I was not talking about pigmentation. Well, really I also think British are paler than French. I mean the vast majority of French and British share the same pigmentation but the percentage of French with olive skin is bigger than that of British.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information