Religion
    Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,035
    Given: 1,735

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dominicanese View Post
    nice to meet you too

Actually alot many Dominicans are aware of their Spanish ancestry, but they don't know what part of spain they hail from majority-wise in general. Because in the educational system they just say we came from spain (but not specific at all), there's a handful of Dominicans that acknowledge their Canarian ancestry but there's many that would like to know but have lost the information threw out the generations. Me for example in both my parents side they have told me that we have ancestors from the canary islands (my dad's side), by mom side, my granda (my mom's mom) has a family book from the town where she's from in DR, and in this book it says where the people who settled in the town came from and their surnames. In my grandma's book there was a man named Geronimo Guerrero (also my uncle's name past on) where he came from tenerife, isla canarias to Bani, Dominican Republic in 1537 (this is the first record of my canarian ancestry that goes back to as early as nearly 470 years ago) officially. Also in the book not only that man came from tenerife but many more who are related to us, but it was from that man that spread more than 40 children in his farm and would spread rapeadly threw out the generations. In mt dad's family, many also came from tenerife as well as some coming from Morocco and Gomera some 13-16 generations ago and some even more recent like my dad's mom (my other grandma) having a grandfather from the canary islands (island unknown) in the mid to late 1800s to settle in DR. These are what i know so far, and it's very common for many Dominicans to have as much canarian ancestors as me and possibly more in the region that im from in DR orginally which is Jarabacoa. I currently live in miami, florida. I think i also have some Canarian words that was passed down to my me from my family that is rarely heard in other people in DR due to isolation, such as "la patana" being one example lol

i am a very light skinned Dominican, im predominantly euro but i have visible african features but sometimes i would ask people if i can pass in the canary islands, some have said yes, they told me i have some facial features that are common there. But i get confused for all the time is Puerto Rican and sometimes cuban specially here in florida lol

how do i do the canarian mission group? i wanna join

btw, im actually gonna do a another thread if agreed to or possible about the canarian contribution to latin america. im gonna put this video just to show viewers here some samples of the canarian accent and their influence to the caribbean spanish accent
    Do you have a pic? I can tell you if you look Canarian or not. I live around people with Canarian phenotypes and was raised by them

And you live in Miami? Well among the Cubans there, the Canarian ancestry is strong. I have some cousins in Miami that is Cuban (my family stayed in Cuba for a few years before arriving in the US, so a branch of the family stayed in Cuba and didn't come to the US) and I lived in Tampa, Florida for two years and frequented south Florida as well and I met many Cubans/Cuban-Americans there that have Canarian ancestry. Florida also has a large Spanish-American community, mainly in Tampa, but most of them are not Canarians, but are Asturians and Galicians. There are also Spanish-Americans on the east coast of Florida too. However, there is a small grouping of Canarian immigrants living in Miami. There is a Canarian heritage club in Miami called "Hogar Canario" and it's mainly made up of Canarians and Cubans of Canarian ancestry. Actually, I have a video about Canarians in Miami, enjoy this:

Banned
    Last Online
    06-27-2021 @ 10:40 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Latin American
    Ethnicity
    Dominican
    Ancestry
    Western Europe, West Africa, The Caribbean
    Country
    Dominican-Republic
    Y-DNA
    R-L51
    mtDNA
    L1c2b1
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid + Minor Negroid
    Hero
    Ken O'Keefe, Booker T Coleman, Bob Marley, Elliott Hulse, Felix Antonion Cruz Jiminian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,414
    Given: 1,414

0 Not allowed!

[QUOTE=Isleño;3332117]Do you have a pic? I can tell you if you look Canarian or not. I live around people with Canarian phenotypes and was raised by them

And you live in Miami? Well among the Cubans there, the Canarian ancestry is strong. I have some cousins in Miami that is Cuban (my family stayed in Cuba for a few years before arriving in the US, so a branch of the family stayed in Cuba and didn't come to the US) and I lived in Tampa, Florida for two years and frequented south Florida as well and I met many Cubans/Cuban-Americans there that have Canarian ancestry. Florida also has a large Spanish-American community, mainly in Tampa, but most of them are not Canarians, but are Asturians and Galicians. There are also Spanish-Americans on the east coast of Florida too. However, there is a small grouping of Canarian immigrants living in Miami. There is a Canarian heritage club in Miami called "Hogar Canario" and it's mainly made up of Canarians and Cubans of Canarian ancestry. Actually, I have a video about Canarians in Miami, enjoy this:

yes, i sent it to you via private message

yes miami Cubans are very canarian and are very proud of their heritage of the canary islands. Everytime im at work i will purposely at random cubans i will call em "oye canario" and most of them tell me with a smile hey whats up, how did you know i have canarian in me or thanks man lol, they'' tell me that they have relatives in the canary islands or have ancestry from there lol. ill tell em me too. I think the cubanss here in miami make the canarian diaspora the largest in ethnic group (canarian period) here in south florida.

De la comunidad isleña de Luisiana Isleño's Avatar
    Last Online
    04-01-2024 @ 06:08 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Isleño de Luisiana
    Ethnicity
    Spanish-American
    Ancestry
    Canary Islands, Spain
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Louisiana
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF27
    mtDNA
    U6b1a
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Med+Alpine+Berid
    Politics
    Center Right
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

[QUOTE=Dominicanese;3332151]
    Quote Originally Posted by Isleño View Post
    Do you have a pic? I can tell you if you look Canarian or not. I live around people with Canarian phenotypes and was raised by them

yes miami Cubans are very canarian and are very proud of their heritage of the canary islands. Everytime im at work i will purposely at random cubans i will call em "oye canario" and most of them tell me with a smile hey whats up, how did you know i have canarian in me or thanks man lol, they'' tell me that they have relatives in the canary islands or have ancestry from there lol. ill tell em me too. I think the cubanss here in miami make the canarian diaspora the largest in ethnic group (canarian period) here in south florida.
    Haha, that's cool. Hey you should use the word "Isleño" to call them because that's our nickname. This is the name we usually go by in the Americas (also in the Canaries too). It's still used in the Canary Islands, but I think it became used here in the Americas more because there was always people making a distinction between people from the peninsula and from the Canaries. They call the people from the Peninsula "Peninsulares" or "Gallegos" in the Americas and they call Canarians "Isleños". I live in a Canarian community in Louisiana and we call ourself "Los Isleños", so we use this word very often. In Cuba, they also went by this nickname, in DR too, PR too, Venezuela too. Basically anywhere they wound up in the Americas. They still use it in the Canary Islands, but "Canario" has become more used now and "Isleño" is used a little less, but it's still used in the Canaries, no doubt. It was just used much more in colonial times so it's usage would still be higher in ex colonies. But anyway, try that to call your Cuban friends, "Oye Isleño" instead of "Oye Canario" because in Cuba, just like where I live, Canarians are known as Isleños.

De la comunidad isleña de Luisiana Isleño's Avatar
    Last Online
    04-01-2024 @ 06:08 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Isleño de Luisiana
    Ethnicity
    Spanish-American
    Ancestry
    Canary Islands, Spain
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Louisiana
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF27
    mtDNA
    U6b1a
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Med+Alpine+Berid
    Politics
    Center Right
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

[QUOTE=Dominicanese;3332151]
    Quote Originally Posted by Isleño View Post

I think between Cubans/Cuban-Americans in Florida and my community here in Louisiana, we make up the vast majority of Canarian ancestry in the US. There is some among the Puerto Ricans in NY and Florida and Dominicanos too, but I think it's found the most among Cubans/Cuban-Americans and most definitely my community in Louisiana. There is also some in San Antonio, as there is a Spanish-American community of Canarian descent there too. Actually they founded San Antonio, Texas.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Latin American
    Ethnicity
    Dominican
    Ancestry
    Country
    Dominican-Republic
    Y-DNA
    R-L51
    mtDNA
    L1c2b1
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid + Minor Negroid
    Hero
    Ken O'Keefe, Booker T Coleman, Bob Marley, Elliott Hulse, Felix Antonion Cruz Jiminian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

[QUOTE=Isleño;3332190]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominicanese View Post

I think between Cubans/Cuban-Americans in Florida and my community here in Louisiana, we make up the vast majority of Canarian ancestry in the US. There is some among the Puerto Ricans in NY and Florida and Dominicanos too, but I think it's found the most among Cubans/Cuban-Americans and most definitely my community in Louisiana. There is also some in San Antonio, as there is a Spanish-American community of Canarian descent there too. Actually they founded San Antonio, Texas.
    Iv heard the Louisiana Spanish dialect, and i heard some familiarities from the way they speak and move their hands around to us Dominicans and mostly the Cubans that i talk to here in Miami, it's really interesting how well they kept their traditions and even dialect going for more than 300 years in Louisiana. Many people in the video speak it but they have like an American twang or English twang sometimes when they speak Spanish.

Is the San Antonio, Texas Canarian Spanish dialect as strong or intact as the one in Louisiana?

Last Online
    09-11-2017 @ 11:09 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Alien
    Ethnicity
    Lithuania
    Country
    Latvia
    Taxonomy
    Europid
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

1 Not allowed!

Default Dominican Spanish dialect

I am doing some research into the history of Spanish singular and plural articles, and I am curious about the plural of eagles. If ila aquila is "the eagle" is ilas aquilis "the eagles"? Or are they both wrong?

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Latin American
    Ethnicity
    Dominican
    Ancestry
    Country
    Dominican-Republic
    Y-DNA
    R-L51
    mtDNA
    L1c2b1
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid + Minor Negroid
    Hero
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

more Dominican Spanish sample, Urban

Todos contra nos Y nos contra todos Empecinado's Avatar
    Last Online
    05-15-2022 @ 10:07 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iberian
    Ethnicity
    Spaniard
    Country
    Spain
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,867
    Given: 4,236

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Anton View Post
    I am doing some research into the history of Spanish singular and plural articles, and I am curious about the plural of eagles. If ila aquila is "the eagle" is ilas aquilis "the eagles"? Or are they both wrong?
    Both wrong. I'ts singular "el águila" and plural "las águilas". It's a special case because singular is masculine and plural femenine.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Latin American
    Ethnicity
    Dominican
    Ancestry
    Country
    Dominican-Republic
    Y-DNA
    R-L51
    mtDNA
    L1c2b1
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid + Minor Negroid
    Hero
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Latin American
    Ethnicity
    Dominican
    Ancestry
    Country
    Dominican-Republic
    Y-DNA
    R-L51
    mtDNA
    L1c2b1
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid + Minor Negroid
    Hero
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information