Life Affirmation
    Religion
    Life Affirmation
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default Faux Friendship

We live at a time when friendship has become both all and nothing at all. Already the characteristically modern relationship, it has in recent decades become the universal one: the form of connection in terms of which all others are understood, against which they are all measured, into which they have all dissolved. Romantic partners refer to each other as boyfriend and girlfriend. Spouses boast that they are each other's best friends. Parents urge their young children and beg their teenage ones to think of them as friends. Adult siblings, released from competition for parental resources that in traditional society made them anything but friends (think of Jacob and Esau), now treat one another in exactly those terms. Teachers, clergymen, and even bosses seek to mitigate and legitimate their authority by asking those they oversee to regard them as friends. We're all on a first-name basis, and when we vote for president, we ask ourselves whom we'd rather have a beer with. As the anthropologist Robert Brain has put it, we're friends with everyone now.

http://chronicle.com/article/Faux-Friendship/49308/
    I believe that legends and myth are largely made of
    “truth”, and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Indeed it might be a basic characteristic of existence that those who would know it completely would perish, in which case the strength of a spirit should be measured according to how much of the “truth” one could still barely endure-or to put it more clearly, to what degree one would require it to be thinned down, shrouded, sweetened, blunted, falsified.
    Nietzsche

To God everything is beautiful, good, and just; humans, however, think some things are unjust and others just.
    Heraclitus

Don't phone me after 10 pm Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Anglo Saxon
    Country
    England
    Region
    England
    Politics
    UKIP
    Hero
    Ironman
    Religion
    Scrap metal
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 167
    Given: 149

0 Not allowed!

Quote Lifrea;[As the anthropologist Robert Brain has put it, we're friends with everyone now]QUOTE.

I disagree, as an adult male i tend to choose very carefully who i select as a possible friend,to truly have a friend the process is long, the old saying "all men are islands" is very true imo.
    The making of male friendship is complex and a very uplifting mental experience, it is like acquiring a brother who is a true friend instead of a rival sibling.
    Have you noticed that if you rearrange the letters in ‘illegal immigrants’, and add just a few more letters, it spells, ‘Go home you free-loading, benefit-grabbing, resource-sucking, baby-making, non-English-speaking ********* and take those other hairy-faced, sandal-wearing, bomb-making, camel-riding, goat-f*****g raghead c***s with you.?

Last Online
    02-15-2011 @ 11:01 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    English
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    England, mostly East Midlands.
    Country
    England
    Region
    Mercia
    Politics
    Life Affirmation
    Religion
    Life Affirmation
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

0 Not allowed!

Originally Posted by Germanicus
    "all men are islands"
    I thought the saying was “no man is an island”?

As for me friends are people I would welcome into my house and to be around my family, people I can trust implicitly with my women, children (if I had any) and with my life, oh and will give me back money I have lent them.

There aren’t many characters like that around sadly but I’ve been fortunate to know a few.
    I believe that legends and myth are largely made of
    “truth”, and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Indeed it might be a basic characteristic of existence that those who would know it completely would perish, in which case the strength of a spirit should be measured according to how much of the “truth” one could still barely endure-or to put it more clearly, to what degree one would require it to be thinned down, shrouded, sweetened, blunted, falsified.
    Nietzsche

To God everything is beautiful, good, and just; humans, however, think some things are unjust and others just.
    Heraclitus

Bite Me! Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic/Celtic
    Ethnicity
    English/German
    Ancestry
    My paternal ancesters were of English/German descent. My maternal ancesters were of English descent.
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Indiana
    Taxonomy
    English/German American
    Politics
    Not a Republicrat. I'm fiscally moderate, and socially conservative, with NS tendencies.
    Religion
    Nondenominational Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 255
    Given: 407

0 Not allowed!

My wife is my only friend. Everyone else I associate with is considered an acquantance.

My dad had a practical definition for friendship. He said, "Friends are those who choose to use one another via mutual consent. If one is seen smiling while the other is frowning, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to determine who is gaining the most from the friendship."

It's a cold, calculating world we share, folks. It's up to us to make it warmer.

Stop the hate, separate!

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    North Sea Germanic
    Ancestry
    Old Stockade American
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Alaska
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Germanicus View Post
    Quote Lifrea;[As the anthropologist Robert Brain has put it, we're friends with everyone now]QUOTE.

I disagree, as an adult male i tend to choose very carefully who i select as a possible friend,to truly have a friend the process is long, the old saying "all men are islands" is very true imo.
    The making of male friendship is complex and a very uplifting mental experience, it is like acquiring a brother who is a true friend instead of a rival sibling.
    I couldn't agree more.

Banned
    Last Online
    07-06-2012 @ 06:26 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    England
    Region
    City of London
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Liffrea View Post
    I thought the saying was “no man is an island”?
    The person who wrote that had obviously never met an Englishman.

larali

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Cat View Post
    My wife is my only friend. Everyone else I associate with is considered an acquantance.
    Same here

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    09-17-2017 @ 12:33 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Bell Beaker ish
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    29/32 English, 2/32 Welsh, 1/32 Scottish
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Y-DNA
    I-M253
    mtDNA
    U5a1b4
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,954
    Given: 11,022

0 Not allowed!

It's the other way round where i am. Everyone in generations above me, family and not, used to know everyone else near by much better. People used to commonly walk into and out of each other's houses. Now lots of people don't even know their neighbours.

Last Online
    05-29-2021 @ 09:26 PM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Palestine
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,015
    Given: 1,308

0 Not allowed!

Really? I would have thought the opposite, that in modern times, especially as people are became more tech-savvy (or obsessed with technology, more like), actual friendships have been weakened ironically as people are more sheltered by their devices. I don't think everyone thinks of everyone around them as being their friend..it could just be a case of semantics.

Thread Information