I voted once, it was horrible
    Religion
    All my 9 lives are devoid of meaning
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 103
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default Media guide ignores Acadian expulsion

No mention exists of the Acadian deportation in a media guide prepared for the upcoming royal tour.

The omission is both "surprising" and "disappointing," says the Federation acadienne de la Nouvelle Ecosse, which is demanding changes to the material.

The Department of Canadian Heritage and the governments of Nova Scotia, Ontario and Manitoba prepared the media guide for the Canadian tour, which begins Monday in Halifax.

The guide provides some history of the provinces that the Queen and her husband, Prince Philip, will be visiting.

"The guide is sadly lacking as far as the thousands of Acadians who were forced to leave their land and homes during the deportation imposed by the British in 1755," said a news release from the federation.

Federation president Desire Boudreau has written to Canadian Heritage Minister James Moore to complain.

"The Acadian deportation was a turning point in Nova Scotia and Canada’s history, which changed the lives of thousands of Acadians and their descendants. The guide should reflect the Acadian history in greater detail," she said in the release.

However, a provincial government spokeswoman said the history and background information contained in the guide are directly related to royal tour events in Nova Scotia.

"For example, with the Halifax Commons event, we have the history in there of the Mi’kmaq in Nova Scotia," said Carla Burns.

"It is a guide in itself. It is not a comprehensive research tool."

A cultural event on the Commons, which is part of the royal tour, will highlight the contributions of Mi’kmaq people.

Caroline Marchildon, a Canadian Heritage spokeswoman, said Tuesday the guide is for media, and is not intended to be a definitive history of the provinces being visited.

A Celebration of Nova Scotia, to be held at the Cunard Centre in Halifax on Tuesday, will include elements of Acadian history and culture in the artistic lineup, she said in an email.

"The Government of Canada recognizes the contribution Acadian culture has made to Canada and the world. In 2003, the federal government issued a proclamation from the Governor General in the name of the Queen recognizing the ‘trials and suffering experienced by the Acadians during the Great Upheaval,’ and designated July 28 as the annual Day of Commemoration of the Great Upheaval," she said.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/NovaScotia/1188690.html

-------------------------------------------------

I think there was an episode of Family Guy along these lines

Inactive Account
    Last Online
    07-25-2011 @ 10:42 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone
    Ethnicity
    Gone
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93

0 Not allowed!

I don't think that the story of our expulsion is taught in the US, outside of Louisiana, at all either.

NO! Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Feline
    Ethnicity
    Snowshoe
    Country
    Canada
    Politics
    I voted once, it was horrible
    Religion
    All my 9 lives are devoid of meaning
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 103

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    I don't think that the story of our expulsion is taught in the US, outside of Louisiana, at all either.
    Well I find it weird that it is conveniently omitted from the guide for the Queen's visit.

That's why I posted that Family Guy clip.

Thread Information