7/8 Spanish, 1/16 Corsican, 1/16 Taino
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,206
    Given: 792

21 Not allowed!

Default Latin American genetic studies [official archive]

For convenience purposes all genetic studies will be posted here.

Venezuelan DNA Study
    Admixture Estimates for Caracas, Venezuela, Based on Autosomal, Y-Chromosome, and mtDNA Markers

These are a results of a study done about the population of Caracas. The samples on the left were taken from a private hospital (high socio-economic level), and the ones on the left at a public one (low socio-economic level). I thought it was interesting because it's one of the only studies I've ever seen about Venezuela and it shows the relationship between admixture and class in Latin America. The high status sample was pedominately European, while the lower-class one was almost evenly split between Euro, Native, and Afro.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18027815

Chile

Rev Med Chil. 2014 Mar;142(3):281-9. doi: 10.4067/S0034-98872014000300001.
    [Gene geography of Chile: Regional distribution of American, European and African genetic contributions].
    [Article in Spanish]

Fuentes M, Pulgar I, Gallo C, Bortolini MC, Canizales-Quinteros S, Bedoya G, González-José R, Ruiz-Linares A, Rothhammer F.

Abstract

Background: The geographical distribution of genes plays a key role in genetic epidemiology. The Chilean population has three major stem groups (Native American, European and African). Aim: To estimate the regional rate of American, European and African admixture of the Chilean population.

Subjects and Methods: Forty single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNP´s) which exhibit substantially different frequencies between Amerindian populations (ancestry-informative markers or AIM´s), were genotyped in a sample of 923 Chilean participants to estimate individual genetic ancestry.

Results: The American, European and African individual average admixture estimates for the 15 Chilean Regions were relatively homogeneous and not statistically different. However, higher American components were found in northern and southern Chile and higher European components were found in central Chile. A negative correlation between African admixture and latitude was observed. On the average, American and European genetic contributions were similar and significantly higher than the African contribution. Weighted mean American, European and African genetic contributions of 44.34% ± 3 9%, 51.85% ± 5.44% and 3.81% ± 0.45%, were estimated. Fifty two percent of subjects harbor African genes. Individuals with Aymara and Mapuche surnames have an American admixture of 58.64% and 68.33%, respectively.

Conclusions: Half of the Chilean population harbors African genes. Participants with Aymara and Mapuche surnames had a higher American genetic contribution than the general Chilean population. These results confirm the usefulness of surnames as a frst approximation to determine genetic ancestry.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25052264

http://www.scielo.cl/scielo.php?pid=...pt=sci_arttext

Costa Rica

I'm super interested in genetics, so I've been reading a lot of studies recently. I think this one about Costa Ricans is pretty interesting because I haven't seen anything about them before. It is based on a sample of 426 individuals from all over the country. The section about who exactly the subjects were is somewhat unclear, but it appears that they may have excluded anyone who declared they were "unmixed". I'm not sure how representative they are of the whole population, but I know many Costa Ricans identify solely as"white" or "black" so it's very possible that many of those people were not included in the study. If that is the case, the "true" national averrage may be more European and slightly more African than these numbers indicate.

Source: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...0.00612.x/full

Personal observation: They're actually somewhat similar genetically to Puerto Ricans. Based on country-wide averages, they're about 10% less European, 15% more native and 5% less African than us. I visited Costa Rica with my school once, and I'd say this fits with the people I saw there. I remember thinking that Puerto Ricans would look like them if the Taíno hadn't been eradicated so soon, and the numbers seem to be consinstent with that.

Mexico

Compilation map of various DNA studies that have been done in Mexico.
    *Sources specified at the bottom of the map.

Paternal haplogroup frequency in different Mexican provinces.

Various countries

Original Table: (I also posted the numbers beneath the maps for each country)
    Spoiler!

Source: http://figshare.com/articles/_Admixt...duals_/1183040

This study is really fascinating because it shows participants self-described race and their genetic results for a Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, and Peru. They sampled overr 7,000 people. As you can see, there is definitely a correlation between race and DNA, but it's not as strong as I would have imagined in some of the countries. Colombia has the "purest" Africans and Chile the least. Brazil has the "purest" Europeans, Peru the least. Peru has the "purest" Natives, Brazil the least.

The far left column also shows the average skin color for members of each group. In this study, Colombian Blacks were the darkest group (followed by Brazilian Blacks) and Colombian Whites were the lightest (followed by Brazilian Whites).

The maps show where the participants for each country came from. I don't know much about the geography of these countries, but I imagine that might have some effect on the outcome. Most participants in Colombia, Peru, and Mexico lived in the capital cities, most Brazilians lived in the south, and a plurality of Chileans lived in the far north.

Brazil

Ethnicity (% of sample) African American European Skin Color (MEI)
    Black (5.80%) 49% 11% 39% 50.6
    White (72.70%) 8% 7% 85% 30.7
    Native (1.00%) 23% 17% 61% 38.5
    Mixed (20.50%) 18% 13% 69% 36

Chile

Black (0.90%) 13% 48% 39% 38.7
    White (37.90%) 5% 40% 54% 32.2
    Native (9.00%) 3% 76% 22% 40.6
    Mixed (52.2%) 5% 47% 49% 34.8

Colombia

Black (1.70%) 69% 12% 19% 64.1
    White (19.30%) 9% 26% 65% 30.5
    Native (2.00%) 12% 42% 46% 40.0
    Mixed (77.00%) 11% 29% 60% 34.4

México

Black (0.30%) 37% 41% 22% 48.2
    White (14.6%) 5% 42% 53% 31.5
    Native (4.80%) 3% 77% 2% 40.3
    Mixed (80.40%) 5% 56% 39% 35.5

Perú

[table="width: 500, class: grid"]
    [tr]
    [td]Ethnicity (% of sample)[/td]
    [td]African[/td]
    [td]American[/td]
    [td]European[/td]
    [td][/td]
    [td]Skin Color (MEI)[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Black (0.00%)[/td]
    [td]N/A[/td]
    [td]N/A[/td]
    [td]N/A[/td]
    [td][/td]
    [td]N/A[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]White (11.30%)[/td]
    [td]5%[/td]
    [td]48%[/td]
    [td]47%[/td]
    [td][/td]
    [td]32.2[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Native (1.60%)[/td]
    [td]1%[/td]
    [td]84%[/td]
    [td]14%[/td]
    [td][/td]
    [td]40.4[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Mixed (87.10%)[/td]
    [td]5%[/td]
    [td]65%[/td]
    [td]30%[/td]
    [td][/td]
    [td]37.[/td]
    [/tr]

Various countries 2

Mexico

Notes: The three nation-wide studies have similar results and, when averaged, result in a figure of 42.33% European, 3.67 African, and 54.00% Amerindian for the country as a whole. The regional results, however, are less homogeneus and reflect the country's vast size and diversity.

Central America and Caribbean

Cuba: No island-wide figures were given, but two studies based on random sampling were carried out in Matanzas and Havana. While they cannot be considered representative, averaging the results of these two studies results in a figure of 77% European, 21% African, and 1.5% Amerindian. The remaining studies were focused on specific elements of the Cuban population and found high degrees of diversity, especially between different racial groups.

Puerto Rico: The three island-wide studies have similar results and, when averaged, result in a figure of 66.67% European, 19.67%, and 13.67% Amerindian. The regional results are again heterogeneus, with the proportion of African ancestry varying widely on a regional basis.

Costa Rica: No nation-wide figures were given, but two studies were conducted in the country's Central Valley. While they cannot be considered representative, averaging the results of these two studies yields a figure of 62.5% European, 4% African, and 33.5% Amerindian.

Colombia

Brazil

Figures were given for nation-wide study, which had found that the Brazilian population as a whole was 59% European, 30% African, and 11% Amerindian. Unlike the Puerto Rican, Argentinian and Mexican studies, however, these figures come from only one study and are therefore less reliable than those obtained by averaging results from three studies (as was the case for those countries). The remaining studies, of which there are many, focus on specific areas and groups.

Peru

No nation-wide figures were given, but the regional averages provided by this study range from 1-5% African and 1-31% European, with the Amerindian component being the largest in every case.

Argentina

Notes: The three nation-wide studies have similar results and, when averaged, result in a figure of 74.00% European, 3.33 African, and 22.67% Amerindian for the country as a whole. The regional results, however, are less homogeneus and reflect the country's historical patterns of migration and settlement.

Venezuela, Chile, and Ecuador

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...gmb-37-151.pdf
    Last edited by Gauthier; 04-30-2015 at 10:14 PM.

Big Time Hustler
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hispanoamericano
    Ethnicity
    Mexican National
    Country
    Mexico
    Region
    Estado de Durango
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,180
    Given: 8,859

5 Not allowed!

I would like to see a similar study on Mexico. Dividing the private and public samples.

Last Online
    06-08-2022 @ 02:43 PM
    Ethnicity
    Gaucho
    Country
    Argentina
    Y-DNA
    R1B1B2A1A
    mtDNA
    H
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,361
    Given: 11,959

2 Not allowed!

very interesting...i think this studies are important because social classes tend to make a racial separation in many countries of latin america

there is a similar study regarding Buenos Aires-...we can see the private sample was more euro than the public sample..

Anyway, its interesting to see that people from the public hospital living in 1st urban belt of Buenos Aires province(outside os Bs As city) were more european than people from private hospital in Bs As city

Last Online
    06-08-2022 @ 02:43 PM
    Ethnicity
    Gaucho
    Country
    Argentina
    Y-DNA
    R1B1B2A1A
    mtDNA
    H
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,361
    Given: 11,959

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by BirdMan View Post
    Admixture Estimates for Caracas, Venezuela, Based on Autosomal, Y-Chromosome, and mtDNA Markers

These are a results of a study done about the population of Caracas. The samples on the left were taken from a private hospital (high socio-economic level), and the ones on the left at a public one (low socio-economic level). I thought it was interesting because it's one of the only studies I've ever seen about Venezuela and it shows the relationship between admixture and class in Latin America. The high status sample was pedominately European, while the lower-class one was almost evenly split between Euro, Native, and Afro.
    regarding the public hospital, i expected low class venezuelans to be pred euro and not pred amerindian

Last Online
    03-03-2019 @ 05:36 PM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Brazil
    Region
    Sao Paulo
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,370
    Given: 2,411

0 Not allowed!

Interesting,but those differences between classes regrading ancestry are something that is very bad IMO.

Last Online
    08-16-2015 @ 08:41 AM
    Ethnicity
    Native West European
    Ancestry
    Spanish & German
    Country
    European Union
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 3

0 Not allowed!

Wow, Venezuela is a true triracial country.

Last Online
    07-25-2021 @ 12:11 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Extremely exotic mix
    Ancestry
    Mestizo
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 120
    Given: 75

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MagicMan View Post
    no shit

Last Online
    Today @ 05:34 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mostly Euro Latin American
    Ethnicity
    Venezuelan Spanish
    Ancestry
    Mostly Spanish, some Italian, some Amerindian (6-7%), some minor SSA (4-5%)
    Country
    Spain
    Y-DNA
    J-M267
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Either Alpinized North Atlantid or Brunn
    Politics
    Right Nationalist
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19,440
    Given: 36,804

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MagicMan View Post
    The lower class, NOT the whole population. And those who average close to balanced triracials (and actually they score less than 30% SSA, on average) are poor people from Caracas (in the northern Central region). If we go to inner regions of the country, and even to some coastal states like Nueva Esparta, Falcon and Zulia, they would score even less SSA than that. And we're only talking about lower class people.

Taking into account the whole population, the Venezuelan average is between 55-60% European, about 24-27% Amerindian, and only between 14-17% African, NOT balanced triracial.
    Last edited by alnortedelsur; 04-19-2015 at 04:51 PM.

Banned
    Last Online
    11-19-2018 @ 01:20 PM
    Ethnicity
    Chilean
    Ancestry
    1/2 Spaniard - 1/4 Mapuche - 1/8 Irish - 1/8 Jewish
    Country
    Chile
    Politics
    Centre-right
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,139
    Given: 800

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by alnortedelsur View Post
    The lower class, NOT the whole population. And those who average close to balanced triracials (and actually they score less than 30% SSA, on average) are poor people from Caracas (in the northern Central region). If we go to inner regions of the country, and even to some coastal states like Nueva Esparta, Falcon and Zulia, they would score even less SSA than that. And we're only talking about lower class people.

Taking into account the whole population, the Venezuelan average is between 55-60% European, about 24-27% Amerindian, and only between 14-17% African, NOT balanced triracial.
    It you sum up upper and lower class according to this study, it gives you 54% European, 28.5% Amerindian and 17.5% African.. it could be even less European considering the lower classes tend to be greater than the upper classes..

Last Online
    Today @ 05:34 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mostly Euro Latin American
    Ethnicity
    Venezuelan Spanish
    Ancestry
    Mostly Spanish, some Italian, some Amerindian (6-7%), some minor SSA (4-5%)
    Country
    Spain
    Y-DNA
    J-M267
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Either Alpinized North Atlantid or Brunn
    Politics
    Right Nationalist
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19,440
    Given: 36,804

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Brighton View Post
    It you sum up upper and lower class according to this study, it gives you 54% European, 28.5% Amerindian and 17.5% African.. it could be even less European considering the lower classes tend to be greater than the upper classes..
    Venezuela, for being an important oil producer, has always had a considerable middle class. The middle class in Caracas is at minimum 40% of the total population of Caracas (if not more). Same goes for other important Venezuelan cities like Maracay, Valencia, Barquisimeto, Maracaibo, etc.

Indeed, other Venezuelan important cities who are socioeconomically better positioned than Caracas (like Valencia and Barquisimeto, for example) might have a proportionally bigger middle class, compared to Caracas.

I actually would say that middle class must be about a half of the total population from Caracas (40% minimum is just a wild guess of the lowest estimation, being pessimistic).

And those numbers you gave, very closely correspond with the average admixture of Venezuelans according to different genetic studies, taking into account the whole Venezuelan population.
    Last edited by alnortedelsur; 04-19-2015 at 06:20 PM.

Page 1 of 163 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread Information