Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,721
    Given: 43,621

1 Not allowed!

Default Discussion about minorities and multiple identity

Hello.

Can we have lively discussion about this question? Forum kind off died in sense of real debate. So post your opinion!

Regarding minority groups in Europe, and their status. Why is in everyone's interest to promote minority groups? I think it's bullshit. Minorities bring only trouble both for majority population and even themselfs. I see some mediveal preservationalists in here who support segragation of people in their country, who are of different ethnic origin, even when they are inhabiting it for centures. It's very stupid, and counter-productive in long term. And here I am talking about historical minorities, not recent economic immigarants, refugees or people from outside of Europe.

Why is assimilation viewed as bad thing? Assimilation, in political sense, and more importatly cultural. It's positive that minority gropus identifies as French/German/Polish whatever in political sense, and feel that country as their homeland. They should keep their language, folkore and other traditions of course, but on outside they do not feel different than any reguar citizen of their country.

This blood ties identification is...a trouble. I see some people of mixed ancestry here who list their ethnicities as whatever mix they are, but in reality you can be only one thing. Ancestry and ethnicity is not the same in every case. When you chose to identify as mixed, you are actally chosing nothing. For example, I am true European mutt, but can only be Croatian. Why? Because I live there, simple as that (of course, majority of my ancestry is Croatian). Had lot of tought about what to write in profile, and changed it many times. In the end, it is simple. If I lived in Bosnia, politically I'd be Bosnian. In France, I'd be French. Some see this as no-backbone mongrel behaviour, but I think it's only natural one. What I think in private (for example have special love for BIH is not important), homeland is where your home and life lies.

Do you people think that double identity has some advantages? I think not. Why would Greek living in UK not feel British, even though he is Greek? If someone is born and raised as Brit, why other Brits would not accept him as Brit? What gain that attitude has for them, UK and him? Other extreme example is African immigrant. To remind you, I do not support immigration to Europe at all. But for those who are already there, born and raised in culture, what is the solution? It is either to culturally assimilatte them a la US style or ghettoize them in failed multi-culti way, where they remian culturally and in many others way alien to native population. I want to hear some opinions.

PS inspiration for this threas was conversation with friend of mine, Serbo-Macedonian-Croat mutt, born in Croatia. He told us that he is Serb, because he is orthodox. He recently visited Serbia for first time in his life. He told us he's proud to be minority in HIS OWN HOMELAND. wtf? We laughed and friend told him that he considers him Croatian of mixed ancestry and orthodox by religion. But my friend said that his counry is Serbia and that he's minority here in Croatia. Of course, some Croats support this, because they want only pure Croats to identify as Croats, and wish for everyone else to remain ''minorites''. My toughts are messy, but this topic really made me think...

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Hey! Is th question controversial or simply stupid? Please share some toughts

Last Online
    01-30-2021 @ 01:59 AM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Great Britain
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,131
    Given: 4,234

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Strah od letenja View Post
    Hey! Is th question controversial or simply stupid? Please share some toughts
    I think minorities should have the right to preserve their culture and language but there should also be a requirement to assimilate a bit. I think most Europeans feel that way. People with extreme views will probably advocate complete assimilation.

Miraculous Mandarin Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    06-20-2015 @ 08:51 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    North-West Eurasian
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Country
    Sweden
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    Taxonomy
    High Elf
    Politics
    Elitism
    Religion
    Esoteric transcendence
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,503
    Given: 213

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Methmatician View Post
    I think minorities should have the right to preserve their culture and language but there should also be a requirement to assimilate a bit. I think most Europeans feel that way. People with extreme views will probably advocate complete assimilation.
    Those with "extreme" views are going to not want aliens to become part of the gene pool, and this is accomplished not by assimilation but rather by repatriation.

Last Online
    06-20-2023 @ 01:08 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Tertiary Slav
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Country
    Bosnia
    Region
    Herzegovina
    Y-DNA
    R1a Z280
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid+Dinarid
    Religion
    Eastern Orthodox Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,848
    Given: 3,155

0 Not allowed!

I see some people of mixed ancestry here who list their ethnicities as whatever mix they are, but in reality you can be only one thing.
    That's because they live abroad, but even that seems to be a recent transgression since American for instance only list more ethnicities in their ancestry section not ethnicity.

We laughed and friend told him that he considers him Croatian of mixed ancestry and orthodox by religion. But my friend said that his counry is Serbia and that he's minority here in Croatia. Of course, some Croats support this, because they want only pure Croats to identify as Croats, and wish for everyone else to remain ''minorites''.
    *insert Ringelnatter post about Rijeka being one of the centres of cultural marxist policy and westernmost Serbian city*
    „Beer has it's own way of sorting things out, does it not?“

Last Online
    08-24-2015 @ 06:39 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    oriental dune coon
    Ethnicity
    contemptible sand zangi
    Ancestry
    Karbala karbala
    Country
    Iran
    Taxonomy
    f**k your ass
    Politics
    put you in the camel clutch
    Hero
    Make you HAMBEL
    Religion
    destroying jebronis
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 569
    Given: 91

1 Not allowed!

There is no ethnicity or race free national identity. Thats why it's difficult. I don't see why you have to become ethnically european to be able to function and live in Europe. Its enough that you respect the laws, culture, the customs and procedures in the country. Both formal and informal. You can't magically transform someone from another ethnicity to another. Its easier if they look the same however.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abeja View Post
    What are you talking about imbecile? Quote a single Albanian having this supposedly "inflated sense of self-worth". Quite the contrary, we are a humble people very conscious of our societal problems, as a matter of fact problems in Albania is what we discuss most of the time.

You won't find any Albanian with superiority complex here, you just imagine it in your brain damaged by centuries of inbreeding.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by StormBringer View Post
    That's because they live abroad, but even that seems to be a recent transgression since American for instance only list more ethnicities in their ancestry section not ethnicity.

*insert Ringelnatter post about Rijeka being one of the centres of cultural marxist policy and westernmost Serbian city*
    Yeah, yeah. I actually forgot the point of my question Respecting your country of residence should be enough.

Ringelnatter though: ''Your city is not relevant, since its multi-cultural communist cesspit, with proletarian mentality. I am not really surprised. No wonder that you were enjoying your commie life style while whole Croatia bled for 4 rough years.
    Basically your whole city along with Istria represent fifth column of Croatian state. ''

That qoute was such shitposting. Or not?? ))) See you my friends, and discuss the question if you wish. It's probably stupid on second tought.

Last Online
    01-30-2021 @ 01:59 AM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Great Britain
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,131
    Given: 4,234

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by finžaų View Post
    Those with "extreme" views are going to not want aliens to become part of the gene pool, and this is accomplished not by assimilation but rather by repatriation.
    Sure they're extreme, but they're not the extreme people I was talking about. I was talking about people who want to assimilate migrants completely so that they become part of the nation they migrated to and sever all ties to their former nation.

Insufferable by many Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Antarctica
    Politics
    Bros over hoes
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11,269
    Given: 13,631

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Strah od letenja View Post
    Hello.

Can we have lively discussion about this question? Forum kind off died in sense of real debate. So post your opinion!

Regarding minority groups in Europe, and their status. Why is in everyone's interest to promote minority groups? I think it's bullshit. Minorities bring only trouble both for majority population and even themselfs. I see some mediveal preservationalists in here who support segragation of people in their country, who are of different ethnic origin, even when they are inhabiting it for centures. It's very stupid, and counter-productive in long term. And here I am talking about historical minorities, not recent economic immigarants, refugees or people from outside of Europe.
    That is not stupid. It is a smart thing. You would allow Gypsies to assimilate? Please.

Why is assimilation viewed as bad thing? Assimilation, in political sense, and more importatly cultural. It's positive that minority gropus identifies as French/German/Polish whatever in political sense, and feel that country as their homeland. They should keep their language, folkore and other traditions of course, but on outside they do not feel different than any reguar citizen of their country.
    Imo they can identify in any way they want expect in an ethnic sense of a country they are in. By all means they can keep their language, folkore and any tradition they can because that is a positive thing which may postpone possible assimilation.

Do you people think that double identity has some advantages? I think not. Why would Greek living in UK not feel British, even though he is Greek? If someone is born and raised as Brit, why other Brits would not accept him as Brit?
    Because he is not a true Brit.

What gain that attitude has for them, UK and him? Other extreme example is African immigrant. To remind you, I do not support immigration to Europe at all. But for those who are already there, born and raised in culture, what is the solution? It is either to culturally assimilatte them a la US style or ghettoize them in failed multi-culti way, where they remian culturally and in many others way alien to native population. I want to hear some opinions.
    Solution is sterilization.

But my friend said that his counry is Serbia and that he's minority here in Croatia.
    Your friend is wise. On a serious note he may not have any country anymore. He may be 'rejected' by people from countries his ancestry hails from.

Personally, I wouldn't mind assimilation in my country of people who are native Europeans and hail from more northern countries.
    Last edited by Insuperable; 04-27-2015 at 10:40 PM.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

How do you multi-qoute?

Why did Anglo-Saxons assimilated with Celts, or Illyrians with Croats?? I mean, if they didn't, we'd be white as Russians ((( It's a historical question? WHY? Because of that, Brits are second-rate Germanics and Croats second-rate Slavs. God punished assimilating nations, it's very obvious.

On a serious note, yeah I support assimilation. Of course. I'd love that gypsy or other non-Croats feel Croatia as their homeland and love the country, respect the culture, and not feel alien. And remain ethnically what they are. And, have culture that does not clash with ours. Cannot understand racist attitude, as we are not racist people who exploited colonies, nor should feel guilty and accept huge numbers of foreigners in here. We never took from anybody and don't owe them anything. If you ask me, problems in UK are their problems, brought on by their greedy politicans. Nothing agaist common people, but I don't wish Western European xenophobia spread to Croatia. After all, we are culturally a true European country with many bad sides, but civilisational level is not one of them. Let's keep it that way.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information