N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,721
    Given: 43,621

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Solin View Post
    Ethnicity of these two modern people emerged and was shaped after this mixing.
    Croats existed prior to arriving in modern Croatia, but they were genetically different than modern Croats. Just like Sorbs and Serbs.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I wouldn't mind that, but that is how it can only always remain, words and theory. I don't care if Gypsies or other non-Europeans love this or any other country, respect the culture and what not else.
    I care for opinion of all Croatian citizens. Gypsies belong to Europe despite their South Asian descent, just like New Worlders belong to the new world despite their European descent. Gypsy lifestyle is not something I like, like most Europeans, but certanly have no right to consider them lesser people. It's not PC, it's just Catholic indoctrication Although majority gypsies are not indigenious to Croatia, but to other Balkan countries, that's for sure. They came from east, in last century or so. It's not trouble in here anyway, so no point to argue.

If StormBringer's relatives still live in Croatia, I guess their life is OK. This is kind of sensitive topic, so maybe best thing is to hope for good future for all ppl in Europe. I'm out of thread, too much auto-censure needed to write something meaningful.

Insufferable by many Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Antarctica
    Politics
    Bros over hoes
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11,269
    Given: 13,631

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Strah od letenja View Post
    Croats existed prior to arriving in modern Croatia, but they were genetically different than modern Croats. Just like Sorbs and Serbs.
    That reasoning is valid for many people in Europe. Like I said, modern Croatian ethncity emerged several centuries after the arrival of Slavs (Croats) to present location. One of your main points in this thead is that immigrants or historical minorites should respect nation and culture of the country blah blah blah. That is basically a cultural and political assimilation you talk about. News flash, it is an expectable thing for civilized people. You don't need to open a thread each time when discovering hot water. But, then again, my small brain can't connect sudden talk about mixing of Romans and Croats, Germanics and Celts in Britain with that and I can't help myself not to think there is more to it than that. And voila there it is - 'you can be only of one ethnicity', 'assimilation', 'Gypsies', 'African immigrants'... puhlease.

Quote Originally Posted by Strah od letenja View Post
    I care for opinion of all Croatian citizens. Gypsies belong to Europe despite their South Asian descent, just like New Worlders belong to the new world despite their European descent. Gypsy lifestyle is not something I like, like most Europeans, but certanly have no right to consider them lesser people. It's not PC, it's just Catholic indoctrication Although majority gypsies are not indigenious to Croatia, but to other Balkan countries, that's for sure. They came from east, in last century or so. It's not trouble in here anyway, so no point to argue.
    They don't belong to Europe nor are they of European descent nor are they indigenious to any Balkan countries even if their lifestyle is something Queen Elizabeth wouldn't be ashamed of. If anywhere, they belong to the New World.

Last Online
    06-20-2023 @ 01:08 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Tertiary Slav
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Country
    Bosnia
    Region
    Herzegovina
    Y-DNA
    R1a Z280
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid+Dinarid
    Religion
    Eastern Orthodox Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,848
    Given: 3,155

0 Not allowed!

Hiding idenity pfff, they are not Gypsies.
    From couple of younger of Serbs I know who live in Croatia, and couple of Croats whom I know here I'd say it's downright hiding of one's identity like a serpent hides her legs...like this one Croat kid I know, never writes down his nationality and religion in application papers for college semester, and if it wasn't for one of the guys who went to highschool with him telling us about him being Croat, I'd have never guessed.

I guess it's mainly out of precaution, cause you never know what kind of people you can run into, but those definitely aren't the shoes I'd like to be in.
    And it's convenient since our names don't differ that much, unlike for instance Bosniaks whom you can tell right of the bat as soon as they tell you their name.
    „Beer has it's own way of sorting things out, does it not?“

Last Online
    01-30-2021 @ 01:59 AM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Great Britain
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,131
    Given: 4,234

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by StormBringer View Post
    unlike for instance Bosniaks whom you can tell right of the bat as soon as they tell you their name.
    What if their name was something like Zlatan Begović? Is that name ambiguous?

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Tertiary Slav
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Country
    Bosnia
    Region
    Herzegovina
    Y-DNA
    R1a Z280
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid+Dinarid
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Methmatician View Post
    What if their name was something like Zlatan Begović? Is that name ambiguous?
    I think most people would assume a guy named Zlatan to be Bosniak.I know I would...

Last Online
    01-30-2021 @ 01:59 AM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Great Britain
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,131
    Given: 4,234

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by StormBringer View Post
    I think most people would assume a guy named Zlatan to be Bosniak.I know I would...
    What about those really uncommon names or foreign names? I have one of those and Serbs and Croats thought I was one of them. They had to ask what I was to be sure Btw, how common is it now to give foreign names to children over there?

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Tertiary Slav
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Country
    Bosnia
    Region
    Herzegovina
    Y-DNA
    R1a Z280
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid+Dinarid
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Methmatician View Post
    What about those really uncommon names or foreign names? I have one of those and Serbs and Croats thought I was one of them. They had to ask what I was to be sure Btw, how common is it now to give foreign names to children over there?
    You have people giving kids strange/archaic names obviously, I know a guy who named his kid Njegoš, that will probably make addressing to the kid by name a bit of a mystery for a lot of people later on.
    Foreign names, I don't think they've caught on yet, at least in my immediate area, I reckon it's because of pesky parents around here who want to control their kids even after marriage, that it's a no go.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

^^ You live in Dubica, do you ? There was documnetary on HRT about some yearly tradition, kind of King choosing between Serb, Bosniak, Croat and Romani. I think Croat was called Šokac, Bosniak Balija and other nice names, lol. What kind of event is that?

It was hillarious.

Solin, you are wrong about me having some kind of agenda. Just observing the world around.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Tertiary Slav
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Country
    Bosnia
    Region
    Herzegovina
    Y-DNA
    R1a Z280
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid+Dinarid
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by davai View Post
    lastly, what if I say Croats are just Christian Serbs!?Would you agree with me???
    Catholic*

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information